BBC rejects complaints about EastEnders gay kiss

1. The c*nt of Monte Crisco! 10 Oct 2008, 8:18am

I’m going to make a complaint next time a straight couple share a kiss on a soap before the watershed! It’s disgusting, as a lesbian it’s NOT what I wish to see before the watershed! Yeah… as if it’s worth complainging about! GET OVER YOURSELF YOU POMPOUS HOMOPHOBIC TOSSERS!

2. I didn’t see it as I don’t watch EEs. However, I do know that someof the straight kisses just stop short of full intercourse – not really something to be shown before the “watershed”: but oh, I forgot, it’s straight so its OK.

3. I understand their concern, it may encourage young viewers to turn gay [shock horror!] or worse still to start adopting put-on mockney accents like they’ve walked out of a Guy Ritchie movie and to call each other “slags”. From there it’s just a slippery slope to acting out Dick van Dyke’s scenes in “Mary Poppins” and dancing with penguins ;)

4. Shut it you slaaaaaaaaags! hahaha. Snog away boys!!

5. Although everybody has the right to make a complain, I am pleased that organisations such as the BBC also have the right to reject ridiculous complaints such as these. Also, not that I am usually somebody to stand up for “The Sun”, but at least even that newspaper has appeared to have moved on from 1987… All I could find on their website regarding this, more recent, kiss was a somewhat inspirationally weak summary of the scene with absolutely no homophobic opinion even implied (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/article1751895.ece)

6. I have been to the BBC site and left a positive comment re the kiss – after reading the case of the gay teenager who killed himself in Manchester as he couldn’t deal with being gay outside his family, I think it important to let the BBC know it does have support (even if EE isn’t a great soap anyway!)Homophobia is still out there ans is quite insidious.

7. The c*nt of Monte Crisco! 10 Oct 2008, 12:46pm

If the complainers of the gay kiss would prefer something light and fluffy, I suggest they watch CBeebies as EastEnders is a bit too gritty for them I find! I too congratulate the BBC for brushing aside such ridiculous complaints!

8. Y’know considering that this prewatershed programme deals with such family theames as mob violence, protitution, peadophillia, rape, incest, racism, murder,and the tradgedies associated with living in Albert Square over the festive period, you’d think people would have something better to complain about than two guys expressing affection for each other. (Maybe they were upset because its not an illegal form of affection??)

9. Ian Turner 10 Oct 2008, 3:52pm

This is no story at all.Pink News says more than 150 people compained. That means 151 compained. Considering the viewing figures for Eastenders that is so small it is not newsworthy material. There is of course only one way to stop homosexuality in our society. Stop having children.

10. Alan Thorpe 10 Oct 2008, 3:58pm

I cant understand why people should object to men showing affection for each other. We see so much violence on TV, on popular programmes as well as on the news, you would think all viewers would welcome seeing expressions of love and tenderness, regardless of their sexuality. With some parents attitudes its no surprise that homophobic language is rife in schools.

11. Did these same people complain about the scenes of violence, murder, and I understand there a child-grooming storyline going on [not sure which soap it's in]. What a bunch of sad tossers with nothing better to do then indulge in the hobby of self-righteous bitchiness.

12. PCG from Portugal 11 Oct 2008, 2:29am

Well I catched up the video on You Tube, the guys are very handsome and the kiss was really passionate. However, I do have to say that BBC is also funded by gay people, the the BBC has to broacast gay scenes and these shall include gay kisses well.

13. john wilfred sharp 11 Oct 2008, 11:14am

love is love .
    no reason to hide any more .

14. It’s mainly the fanatical, young-earth creationist crackpots at the Christian Institute that got worked up, and also because of the way the christian Dot Cotton character was lampooned in it. Diddums!

15. Robert, ex-pat Brit 11 Oct 2008, 1:41pm

Folks, its downright homophobia, plain and simple. The haters are nothing more than bigots, hypocrites and champions of the doublestandard. I’m glad the BBC took a positive stand. Now if only corporations such as Heinz grew a pair of balls and did the same, we’d all be better off.

16. OH MY GOD TWO MEN KISSED!!!!! Call out the national guard etc and throw a quantentine around the BBC! GET REAL! People kiss all the time…….(!)

17. Jules Garner 14 Oct 2008, 1:32pm

Erm…Correct me if I am wrong, but Hollyoaks has shown many gay kisses and noone seems to complain about them (or if they did I didn’t notice) so what seems to be the problem with Eastenders?

18. The c*nt of Monte Crisco! 14 Oct 2008, 3:48pm

Different audiences I think. Hollyoaks is mostly watched by a younger audience, possibly individuals who are struggling to come to terms with their own sexuality and find the programme helps. Easties on the other hand is watched by a wider range of people, mostly older people who lived in a generation before ours where homosexuality was taboo and disgusting. I pity that generation!

19. Erroll Clements 20 Oct 2008, 3:40pm

H-U-L-L-O to the real world people, yes, same sex people do kiss!150 sad twats complained out of total population in UK, no wander BBC is not bothered. Get real and get a life ! No doubt they were god botherers or sad sods still living in a time warp?!!