Labour councillor cautioned following gay insult

1. Had senior Labour councillor Liam Smith said to a political rival’s mother ‘shut up you f***ing fat nigger’ and ‘go back to where you came from’
    he’d have faced a hell of a lot more than a simple caution. At the very least he’s have been expelled from the party.

Yet another example of double standards…

2. I wonder if all the usual suspects who condemn Tories when they are publicly PRO-gay on this website will turn on one of their own when he turns out to be a thuggish homophobe…not holding my breath…

3. As mentioned, double standards by a Labour Party now so far right of the Conservatives they’ve nearly joined the BNP (as there are more than a few of them already in Barking and Dagenham)! This Labour Cllr should have immediately been expelled from the party!!

4. Sister Mary Clarence 13 Aug 2008, 4:53pm

I wouldn’t Chuckster – you’ll suffocate. It will be a cold day in hell before any of them accept anything other than Labour is good, Tory is bad.

There is always some feeble excuse why they shouldn’t, usually involving living 20 years in the past.

5. Another example of hideous Labour – no wonder they are losing so badly aroudn the country – in scotland the SNP are kicking their ass – another solid Labour seat will be lost soon.

Labour lost their way about 11 years ago – now its time to pay the price.

6. Good point, Sister Mary, I won’t. Suffocating me would be a victory for the forces of darkness, much better to remain a living breathing gay Tory.

7. Well, I just got in and read this story, and am disgusted with this Liam Smith. He should resign. Mind you, this does NOT make me a sad Tory, sorry Chuckster and Mary. People in the Tory party FAR more senior to Liam Smith hold very similar views and are not shy of expressing them. I have no illusions about Labour, but am certainly not fooled by Tory posturing.

8. Glad to, chuckster. Shame you can’t do the same for your party of homophobes but I suspect time would be a factor if you condemned by name every Gay hating tory in both houses in Westminster.

9. To Sister Mary Clarence and Chuckster, I would like to say as a Labour activist that I hold the view that there are good and bad across the political spectrum. I don’t know anything of Liam Smith or the incident. I personaly take pride in treating people from other parties with respect and that they treat me with respect in turn. I would condem anyone who behaved badly at a count.

10. I was once at a count for Southampton City Council. A safe Labour ward’s result was being announced. 2 Tories had stood in the unwinnable ward and went on stage for the declaration. They happened to be boyfriends, which was a fact well known to all there. The Labour Party supporters immediately heckled them with homophobic abuse and wolf whistles. Absolutely nothing was done.

11. Sister Mary Clarence 14 Aug 2008, 2:48pm

Well Angelina, I very pleased to hear that you do, but there are a number of Labour supporters on here that will see no wrong in anything they do and will always deflect any criticisms of wrong doing by harking back twenty plus years to the actions of dead or near dead politicians.

On the other hand Labour appear, just like the Tories did when they were last in office, to have been corrupted by power. We are seeing an increasingly steady trail of stories that bear evidence to this. It is their time to step back and re-group in order that they can take their turn again in time to lead the country. The Tories have had their time in the political wilderness and they have honed their act.

Boris Johnson has stormed into City Hall and the only criticism so far appears to be that some do not believe he can keep it up. Each week we are seeing new policies that have huge popular support. The Tories have had years to work on these without the distraction of running the country. Its time for Labour to do the same now. They have spent all their good ideas and they need to work on some more. The leadership need to tighten their control over the party and clean it up, in exactly the same way the Tories did, and appear to have done quite successfully.

Maybe when they do come back they will remember the founding principles the party was based and maybe if they do, a few of us who have deserted them will start to give them our vote again. We now have two main parties right of centre and that really does not serve the interests of this country and its people well.

12. As a Labour supporter, I am happy to say that if the story is true the councillor should resign. I have also attended every council count in Southampton since 1981 and cannot recall either two Tories in a gay relationship standing for election or any of the abuse reported by “me”. Generally we only elect one member per ward at a time and it is not normal for defeated candidates to appear on the stage. But perhaps I missed the incident (and not in an Arsene Wenger way). It’s not something I would support. I’d heckle them for being Tories though.

13. “For years we have wanted the Tories to change in their attitude towards the gay community and many of us now believe that they have. This change has come about in part at least through gay people engendering change from within the party by reasoned argument rather than screaming abuse about past wrongs from the sidelines.”

Exactly! God know what people actually expect of the Tories to atone for past sins! With the likes of Nick Herbert and Alan Duncan in the highest echelons of the party, with just about the gayest administration possible at City Hall and with plenty more prominent gay Tories in the pipeline (Nick Boles, Margot James etc), the days of Tebbit-style rants are dead and buried replaced by the likes of Michael Gove.

14. Cllr Edward Butler-Ellis 15 Aug 2008, 12:35am

Another London Labour Councillor accused of offensive homophobic remarks. Their “gay credentials” aren’t all they’re cracked up to be!! This is the type of hypocracy that people have now come to expect from Labour, for all their people loving policies, their own party members don’t even subscribe to them!

15. Bill Perdue, RainbowRED 17 Aug 2008, 10:27am

The police may have felt that all they could do was issue a caution, but the LGBT Labour caucus should be doing their best to get him expelled from the Party. He’d be happier as a Tory anyway.

16. Sister Mary Clarence 17 Aug 2008, 11:18pm

How very odd Bill, when you Tories under David Cameron are operating a policy of zero tolerance towards ethica lapses, when of course, as we see here again, the Labour Party are not.

I see the Peoples Reblic of Bill has its finger on the pulse as always.

17. Bill Perdue, RainbowRED 17 Aug 2008, 11:55pm

Awwwww. I’ve upset Twisted Sister.

He almost made himself believe that the Tories, when covered in enough whitewash and cheap perfume, no longer smelled and looked like a pile of s**t.

Get real, Twisted Sister, that will never happen because of a little thing called short term memory. Everyone sees right thorough you pathetic apologies for Tory bigots. They remember the past when Tory swine instituted Section 28 but they also remember the last few months of Troy opposition to robust enforcement of discrimination and hate crimes laws, your defense of bigoted cops, your vicious and dishonest opposition to asylum for GLBT folks fleeing murder and your pigheaded opposition to same sex marriage.

That’s why I said that a bigot like Liam Smith should be expelled and find his true home in the party that celebrates its bigotry over and over, the Conservative Party.

And where is the LGBT Labour caucus while all this is going on – they should be moving mountains to kick Smith out of the Party. If you want to be seen as a GLBT friendly party you’d better get a move on!

18. Sister Mary Clarence 18 Aug 2008, 7:21pm

To quote myself Bill from a week ago:

Comment by Sister Mary Clarence — August 13, 2008 @ 16:53

Right on cue, here you are banging on about events of over two decades ago. Its like I’m f**king Doris Stokes isn’t it? You really need to move on Bill The gay community, the Tory party and the rest of the world have.

19. Bill Perdue, RainbowRED 18 Aug 2008, 8:37pm

TwistedSister – learn to read. “remember the past when Tory swine instituted Section 28 but they also remember the last few months of Troy opposition to robust enforcement of discrimination and hate crimes laws, your defense of bigoted cops, your vicious and dishonest opposition to asylum for GLBT folks fleeing murder and your pigheaded opposition to same sex marriage.

The Tories are moving on all right, but they’re moving against us. As for the world moving on, TwistedSister, certainly it has, but not in a backward direction like the elitists in the Troy party.

20. Sister Mary Clarence 18 Aug 2008, 9:29pm

Pulling it back to reality Bill the story is about homophobic abuse from a Labour councillor not a Tory councillor. Perhaps you can enlighten us as to why the party hasn’t dropped kicked him out of the party. Perhaps you can also tell us why Miranda Grell wasn’t similarly dropped kicked out of the party, rather than supported every step of the way until due to the overwhelming weight of evidence against her, she lost her appeal.

Perhaps you can also tell us why a member of Opus Dei was given the job of ensuring equality for gays and lesbians under the Labour government? Ruth Kelly missed 12 votes in parliament concerned with gay equality before being entrusted with the portfolio charged with delivering gay equality. How perverse is that for f**ks sake?

The Labour parties recent history is littered with examples of their inability to practice what they preach, showing a worrying lack of commitment to the equalities they purport to champion.

The way you whitewash over what you don’t want to hear is laughable.

21. Sister Mary Clarence 19 Aug 2008, 1:45am

“…. your vicious and dishonest opposition to asylum for GLBT folks fleeing murder ….”

On 22nd October 2007 I wrote:

The current system we have does not differentiate between social migrants and asylum seekers. We do not allow social migrants, but if we did, those genuinely in need of asylum could be dealt with much quicker and their uncertainty and distress minimised.
    The Conservative party has advocated a controlled immigration policy. We have a skills gap we cannot fill and we need about a million migrant workers each year to sustain economic growth. A controlled policy would mean one channel for those genuinely seeking refuge from persecution and separate channel for those seeking to come to this country to make a better life. Creating a second channel would alleviate pressure on those processing asylum claims, ensure speedier processing, and hopefully also reduce the numbers of false asylum applications. It would also allow us to fill skills gaps that have emerged over recent years.

The system we currently have benefits no one. I’m sure however you will try to find some way to twist my words, but in the hope of making it harder for you to do so:

1) I would like to see the system for those seeking asylum in the UK made quicker and easier.
    2) I would like to see a new system introduced to allow controlled entry of social migrants into the UK.

I’m struggling to see how this actually translates into a ‘vicious and dishonest opposition to asylum for GLBT folks fleeing murder.’

Now we might have had to wait a while on this one, but again you’ll note that I actually foretold events with startling accuracy, “I’m sure however you will try to find some way to twist my words ….”. F**k me I AM Doris Stokes!

22. Perhaps it would have been wiser to check out the facts of the story before just re-running the Evening Standard, as a far more fairer reporting of the issue locally has proved that Liam Smith did not abuse this woman in an homophobic manner, but did in fact relate to her size and a cow.