Teenager dies after ‘homophobic’ attack in Liverpool

1. Robert, ex-pat Brit 4 Aug 2008, 12:59pm

I hope Iris Robinson reads about this abominable crime. Her kind of hate speech is all that’s needed to incite this type of crime.

2. Robert, ex-pat Brit 4 Aug 2008, 1:02pm

I hope Iris Robinson reads about this abominable crime. Her kind of hate speech is what incites other homophobes to commit such heinous acts. If this crime had been motivated by a racial or religious bias, the entire nation would be in uproar.

3. I agree; its quite rare that a homophobic assault or murder is even mentioned on the national news unless its got a sleaze factor (which the mainstream press seem to love!) People like Ms Robinson need to realise what their nasty comments might lead too!

4. Sadly this story probably wont make the mainstream rags. They’re far too busy covering chefs who advocate posioning yourself. Shame on the tabloids who fail to report on homophobia but jump at the chance to cover a gay ‘sex’ story.

5. Pete & Michael 4 Aug 2008, 4:20pm

Just to say as a scouser living in Cheshire with my partner Michael, we both send heartfelt sympathy to the family and friends, this act of daylight homophobia in Liverpool has brought shame to the City of Liverpool in the Culture Year of ’08′

6. A tragic waste & one that I am afraid that we are going to see far more of in the coming weeks, months & years. When our politicians & the clergy think its ok to publicly attack gay people they give licence to people to behave like this. The climate is changing towards gay people. On Saturday night walking from Soho Square to New Oxford St in central London I was heckled by youths because I was walking arm in arm with a male friend. I was too shocked to respond partly because this kind of abuse (religious overtones the Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve crap) was rare in the West End. Not that I think the people in question were religious – pissed in the West End at 1am on a Sunday morning doesn’t suggest that these louts were getting ready for church in a few hours time. I am really starting to feel for the first time in years that this is an ill wind picking up speed. Or I am just incredibly naive; living in a pseudo middle-class, gay friendly cocoon that the religious right are trying to smash? Don’t like people trying to smash my life…makes me want to smash back. The difference is I want to smash the ability of religions to attack me NOT smash their heads in.

7. Robert, ex-pat Brit 4 Aug 2008, 4:54pm

Neil, its a terrible indictment isn’t it? Whether it likes it or not, the C of E with its current dilemma over what to do with gay clergy and gay orientation in general is only fuelling the homophobia. It gets a lot of coverage in the media. Homophobes who commit bias crimes such as this read and hear about the C of E’s stand on homosexuality….though it may not intentionally defame or denigrate us, its pronouncements against our lives and who we love does plant a seed of hatred and intolerance in the minds of people to go out and commit such terrible crimes, the kind of things that Iris Robinson says for instance. Hate speech does incite violence and homophobia, its a proven fact, after all, its learned behaviour and it usually starts in the home, from one generation to the next, a vicious never-ending circle. Its the same kind of hate speech that led to the holocaust. Lets not forget the media is partly responsible too for perpetrating stereotypes and sensationalising our lives out of proportion and using them as fodder. That won’t change so readily. We are the last group they can hate and get away with it, but the tide is slowly turning against them, but not fast enough unfortunately.

8. Toni-Louise 5 Aug 2008, 2:37pm

No Liverpool Pride is there??? Sad that in 2008 Liverpool lags behind the rest of the country in its antediluvian attitudes to sexuality. As someone now from Brighton but born in Liverpool I am so ashamed that my city hasn’t moved beyond its ‘Im dead hard, la’ and ‘who are you ******* looking at’ mentality. When the ‘Pool’ has anything resembling the Village in Manchester or Soho I will believe it has moved into the 20th century, let alone the 21st.

9. Lang Thang 5 Aug 2008, 7:27pm

This crime results from the call homophobic into the young hearts by conservative religious leadersFreman

10. Lang Thang 5 Aug 2008, 7:30pm

This crime results from the call homophobic into the young hearts by conservative religious leaders.