1 June 2008Scottish government pledges extra funds for gay schemes + The Scottish government is to award £6.1m of extra funding to equality groups including those aimed at the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered community.
2 June 2008Hillary wins in Puerto Rico but Obama within reach of nomination + This weekend Hillary Clinton both gained ground and lost it following the Democratic National Committee’s ruling on delegates from Florida and Michigan.
2 June 2008Four arrested after Moscow’s unauthorised Pride demonstrations + A group of 30 gay activists managed to stage short protests in front of Moscow City Hall and a statue of Tchaikovsky yesterday without being arrested.
2 June 2008Heavy security as protesters outnumber gays at Riga Pride + A march for gay rights has passed off peacefully in the Latvian capital Riga.
2 June 2008More church troubles for Obama campaign + Barack Obama’s choice of church and spiritual counsel is once again causing problems for his campaign for President of the United States.
2 June 2008Greek prosecutors to stop same-sex marriage 2 Greece’s constitution defines marriage as between a man and a woman, the country’s Supreme Court prosecutor Giorgos Sanidas, has said in a directive.
2 June 2008Gay basketball hero to be Olympic ambassador 1 Former NBA player John Amaechi will be Amnesty International's first sporting ambassador at the Beijing Olympics this summer.
2 June 2008COMMENT: We outfoxed the Moscow authorities + Moscow lesbians and gays successfully held Pride with widespread coverage by alternative, prominent international and some mainstream Russian media.
2 June 2008Gays excluded from HIV work in Uganda 1 The head of Uganda's AIDS commission has claimed that gay people are driving up the number of infections in the country, but said they would not be targeted with prevention work.
2 June 2008Maltese government’s “inhumane” treatment of trans bride 1 A court has backed the Director of Public Registry who will not release marriage banns for a transsexual woman and her male partner in Malta.
2 June 2008Met advisory group reports on drugs and the LGBT community 1 Drug and alcohol abuse is more prevalent among gay men than the rest of the population, according to a report from the Metropolitan Police Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Advisory Group.
2 June 2008Godfather of haute couture dead at 71 1 Yves Saint Laurent, the iconic fashion designer, died last night at his home in Paris.
2 June 2008UN human rights head decries “perpetuation of prejudice” + In a valedictory speech to the United Nations Human Rights Council today, Louise Arbour has challenged the continued oppression of women and sexual minorities.
2 June 2008THT defends its support for ban on gay blood donations 3 The head of policy at Terrence Higgins Trust has defended the charity’s support for the National Blood Service’s policy of refusing donations from gay men.
2 June 2008UK commits £6bn to global AIDS fight + The government has announced details of a seven-year strategy to tackle the spread of HIV and AIDS.
2 June 2008Popularity contest highlights gay role models 2 Gay entertainment website AfterElton’s list of men their readers find sexually attractive has a heterosexual as the 'most wanted.' Those joining him in the top slots of "Hot 100" list have something new in common.
3 June 2008Barr, the unknown Presidential hopeful + Largely ignored by the public at large, the American Libertarian Party wrapped up their nomination process last weekend with former Republican Bob Barr taking the nomination.
3 June 2008Fears for tourists in Gambia as two men held on “gay” charges + Two Spanish men have been taken into custody by police in the Gambia after being accused of trying to solicit sex from male taxi drivers.
3 June 2008Latvian MPs’ attack gays for “immoral and hooligan behaviour” 4 A group of MPs from the Latvia First Party, referred to as the "party of priests," has attacked what it calls the "gross interference of a homosexual group of European Parliament members into Latvia’s internal affairs."
3 June 2008World can support gay marriage in US with a billion clicks + Substantial gains in same-sex marriage rights have recently been won in California and New York, but marriage equality still does not exist throughout the United States.
Articles from June 2008
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’2
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members+
- US church tells PinkNews: Equal marriage is to blame for violent Woolwich murder7
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’+
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’1
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote11
- Sir Gerald Howarth: ‘I should have used ‘militant’ rather than ‘aggressive’ to describe the ‘homosexuality community’35
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill — Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends ‘aggressive homosexual community’ equal marriage slur59
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 59
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'35
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur59
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage