David Cameron and Ruth Kelly among MPs who voted against lesbian rights

1. Jan Bridget 21 May 2008, 9:14pm

If I was ever going to vote tory (not that I would, but David Cameron has had interesting things to say about gay equality)I most certainly would not now. David Cameron, and his colleagues, have shown their real views. I am insulted on two counts, one because of their anti-lesbianism and two because I was brought up without a father, by my mother and grandmother.

2. This article is grossly unfair indeed and it doesn’t even mention the Conservative amendment on the need for a male role model, which does not discriminate against lesbians seeking fertility treatment. I believe a child deserves both a female and male role models in their life from birth – in an ideal world. Legislating against this is not fair on the child; it has a right to a female and male role model, simple as that. The amendment would of allowed lesbians to be granted the rights they deserve as well as keeping with the Childs .As a gay person, I would of voted for a fertility clinic to consider a male role model, this does not mean I am homophobic one eye outer! However, this article would assume I was.

3. Robert, ex-pat Brit 22 May 2008, 10:55am

Why would anyone be surprised that Cameron would vote against it. You have to be out of your mind to vote for these right wingers. The christian right is also penetrating the conservative party more than ever. Read on…http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/sunny_hundal/2008/05/fundamentally_flawed.html

4. Bill Perdue, RainbowRED 22 May 2008, 10:06pm

Jan, I think the ‘interesting things” you hear from Cameron and the Tories are artful misdirection and electioneering meant to snare votes.

The Tories are still the central party of homophobia and misogyny. It’s because they and the DUP have way too many ties to christians. As Robert reported the Tories and the christians are interpenetrated to an alarming degree. Here in the US that same trend, consummated by Ronald Reagan, left the Republicans so dependent on the christian right that they’re almost a theocratic party. Now they’re trapped between a rock (christian demands that they end abortion, reinstitute prayer in publicly funded schools, pass a constitutional amendment against same sex marriage) and a hard place (a vastly unpopular war, disgust with their homophobia and misogyny and an economy spiraling into a steep nosedive.)

Robert, the site you recommended is awesome. Thanks. I saw hints of this in the Tories obstinate defense of the catholic cult, calling critics of clerical rapists ‘over the top’ and their racist islamophobia. It’s obvious that the Tories are aping the US Republicans and it’ll ruin them too. But that may take awhile, and the growth of the christian right is bad news. I’ve see these vermin in action and believe me they’re persistent, vicious and dangerous. Those who compare them to the Brownshirts are not far off the mark.

5. Bill Perdue, RainbowRED 22 May 2008, 10:07pm

Robert, the site you recommended is awesome. Thanks. http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/sunny_hundal/2008/05/fundamentally_flawed.html I saw hints of this in the Tories obstinate defense of the catholic cult, calling critics of clerical rapists ‘over the top’ and their racist islamophobia. It’s obvious that the Tories are aping the US Republicans and it’ll ruin them too. But that may take awhile, and the growth of the christian right is bad news. I’ve see these vermin in action and believe me they’re persistent, vicious and dangerous. Those who compare them to the Brownshirts are not far off the mark.

6. Bill Perdue, RainbowRED 22 May 2008, 10:12pm

Robert, the site you recommended is awesome. I hope everyone links to it because it contains vital new information (at least it was new to me.) Thanks. I saw hints of this in the Tories obstinate defense of the catholic cult, calling critics of clerical rapists ‘over the top’ and their racist islamophobia. It’s obvious that the Tories are far along in transforming themselves into junior partners of the US Republicans and it’ll ruin them too. But that may take awhile, and the growth of the christian right is bad news. I’ve see these vermin in action and believe me they’re persistent, vicious and dangerous. Those who compare them to the Brownshirts are not far off the mark.

7. Robert, ex-pat Brit 23 May 2008, 1:28pm

Bill, it will only be a matter of time before the christian zealots who’ve now infiltrated the Tory party will bring about its demise and influence. In one way I’m glad they’re joining them, it is after all where they belong and where they breed, because it will only polarise voters to get behind labour and liberal democrats, and younger voters who have no interest in religion will see through it. Plus, it will put the C of E in a very difficult situation in trying to distance itself from extremist views, a question of guilt by associatoin. Cameron had better watch out! This new found haven for them will produce demagogues equivocal to the likes of Pat Robertson, Gerry Fallwell, Mike Huckabee, Don Wildmon, James Dobson et al. The only difference I think between the UK and the US will be that UK voters will not buy into it, they’re not as gullible as their American counterparts. Religion plays a far less important role in the life of the average Brit, I think only 2% worships regularly compared to the U.S. which is way above 50%.