9 April 2008PFLAG accuse homophobic politician of lying 10 Advocacy group Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) has released new audio footage of politician Sally Kern that contradicts her statements to the press.The Oklahoma state representative, who described gay people as a bigger threat to America than terrorism, met with three PFLAG representatives last month.Both sides described the encounter as polite and cordial but just hours after the meeting, she said she was being misrepresented.
9 April 2008Gay burial plot to go ahead in Copenhagen cemetery 1 People that want to be buried next to others who were gay or lesbian have been granted their wish at a cemetery where author Hans Christian Andersen is buried.Other famous people interned at the Assistens Kirkeg√•rd, which was founded in 1737 and is the largest in Copenhagen, include dozens of artists, musicians and writers.Space for 45 urns, set apart from the rest of the cemetery by a triangle of pebbles on the ground, has been rented by a new group.
9 April 2008Sperm bank man gets 16 months for fraud + John Gonzales, who ran online sperm bank Mannotincluded.com catering mainly for lesbians and single women, has been sentenced to 16 months in prison.He pled guilty to five offences including fraud, forgery and perjury and was also disqualified from acting as a company director for five years.He was sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court today following an investigation and prosecution by the Department for Business and Enterprise (BERR).
10 April 2008PlanetOut sells magazine division + PlanetOut Inc, parent company of long-established gay publications including The Advocate and Out magazine, announced yesterday it has entered into a binding Letter of Intent with an affiliate of here! Networks (owner of Gaywired Media) to acquire PlanetOut's magazine and book publishing businesses.Sale of the magazine and book publishing business will allow PlanetOut to focus on its core online properties.The magazine and book publishing business will join here!'s online, television and film properties.
10 April 2008Anglican leader condemns gay death threats 3 The Archbishop of Canterbury has spoken out after the director of a group representing gay Anglicans revealed he has received death threats.Rev Colin Coward, director of Changing Attitude, said that the threats against his life were encouraged by the outspokenly homophobic language and attitude of some in the church.Dr Rowan Williams said the threats are the "latest round of un-Christian bullying."The row over the stance of evangelical and traditionalist bishops in the Anglican church worldwide over gay issues has exposed a deep division in the communion.
10 April 2008Tutu inspires gay audience in San Francisco 5 One of the most respected religious leaders in the world has apologised to the gay community for the way his Church ostracised them.Archbishop Desmond Tutu also expressed regret for making them feel as if God had made a mistake by creating them to be who they are.His speech was the highlight of A Celebration of Courage, the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission's (IGLHRC's) annual gala awards ceremony held in San Francisco on Tuesday.
10 April 2008Mortgage rates to drop by 0.25% + The Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee today cuts rates by a quarter of one per cent to 5 per cent, a further attempt to reduce the impact of the global credit crisis hitting Britain.It's the third cut since December, earlier this week it was shown that house prices had fallen by 2.5% in a month, the worse drop since 1992.A mortgage of £100,000 will fall by £17 a month if lenders pass on the cuts in full.
10 April 2008Poll gives Ken slight lead in race for Mayor 1 A new opinion poll commissioned by trade union UNISON has found that the race for Mayor of London is still effectively neck and neck.In the IPSOS-MORI poll the 48% who say they are "absolutely certain to vote," shows the first preference results were 41% for incumbent Mayor and Labour candidate Ken Livingstone, 40% for Conservative Boris Johnson.Lib Dem candidate Brian Paddick took 14% and the Green party's Sian Berry 5%.
10 April 2008Moscow Pride organiser unhappy about documentary + A leading gay rights activist has accused a German documentary maker of "acting in irresponsible and dishonest manner," over the screening of a documentary about Moscow Pride at the London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival.The documentary film East/West: Sex Politics by director Jochen Hick was screened at the festival last week.It premiered in the Berlin International Film Festival in February and follows some LGBT people in Moscow around the Moscow Pride events.
10 April 2008Obama backs LGB troops in gay magazine interview + US Presidential candidate Barack Obama has given an interview with leading gay publication The Advocate, just a week after being criticised for "disrespecting" the LGBT media.The interview is due to be published tomorrow, but AP were given excerpts.Mr Obama, a US Senator from Illinois, said he supports a repeal of a law that bars openly gay, lesbian and bisexual people from serving in the country's Armed Forces and is hopeful it can be achieved.
10 April 2008Five more convicted in Egypt’s HIV crackdown 5 Five men have been sentenced to three years in prison in Egypt for consensual homosexual acts.Their convictions are the latest in what has been characterised by human rights groups as "a police crackdown" on people living with HIV/AIDS.At least 12 men have been arrested and four have already been sentenced to a year in jail.
10 April 2008Footballers to mark day against homophobia 1 The organisers of the International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO) in the UK have spoken of their excitement at the many events being held across the country.May 17th is IDAHO, and this year it will be marked in more than 50 countries.IDAHO day coincides with Cup Final Day and so far two events have been arranged to highlight this.
10 April 2008New project for black gay men seeks volunteers 1 A grant from the Big Lottery Fun has allowed sexual health charity GMFA to launch a new three-year project targeting group that are disproportionately affected by HIV.Big Up, the black gay men's volunteer group at GMFA, will be carrying out research to investigate the sexual health needs of black gay men, and in turn provide them with better services.New volunteers are needed to become involved in peer education projects.
10 April 2008Elton John laments American misogyny at Hillary gig 3 Singer Sir Elton John has attacked the sexist attitude of some American voters at a fundraising concert for Hillary Clinton last night.Senator Clinton is one of two leading candidates for the Democratic party nomination for President, and she appeared on stage with Sir Elton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton."I've always been a Hillary supporter," Sir Elton said.
11 April 2008Obama and Clinton’s accessibility to gay media assessed + Democratic US Presidential contender Barack Obama has faced increasing criticism in the LGBT community in recent weeks for refusing to speak to the gay and lesbian press.While rival Hillary Clinton has gone on record with gay media outlets such as Logo and the Philadelphia Gay News, Obama has turned down repeated requests for interviews.Now Obama is speaking out at last directly to the gay community in an exclusive interview with The Advocate.
11 April 2008INTERVIEW: The hottest lesbian comedy on the net + From soap star to veritable lesbian icon, Executive Producer and actress Maeve Quinlan's on the cutting edge of scripted comedy with the hilarious and irreverent lesbian-themed Internet romp, 3Way.Along with her former co-workers and best pals, Nancylee Myatt and Paige Bernhardt, Quinlan conceived of and created the sensation that has become 3Way, about a straight soap actress who moves her best gay girlfriend into her home only to be followed by an array of whacky lesbian characters.
11 April 2008Three poofs to run the London Marathon for THT + This Sunday tens of thousands of people will take to the streets of London to run the annual marathon, and among the famous faces this year will be three men who are professionally known as poofs.David Roper, Stephen De-Martin and David Wickenden are best-known as three-quarters of 4 Poofs and a Piano, the house band on the popular BBC1 show Friday Night With Jonathan Ross.They will be donning their running vests and tackling the 26 mile course, while fourth poof Ian Parkin will be cheering them on from the sidelines.
11 April 2008Lesbian “tug of war” custody case goes to Supreme Court + A lesbian woman who is attempting to use a US state law banning gay marriage to exclude her former partner from custody of their daughter will have her case heard in the Virginia Supreme Court next week.Janet Jenkins (formerly Miller-Jenkins) and Lisa Miller (formerly Miller-Jenkins) were joined in a civil union in Vermont and shortly thereafter had a child.After the women ended their relationship, Miller moved to Virginia with the women's daughter.
11 April 2008Gay group reminds people to register to vote + Stonewall, the largest lesbian, gay and bisexual equality organisation in the UK, has reminded people to register to vote ahead of the elections on May 1st.All councils in Wales and 135 local authorities in England will hold elections.The Mayor of London and the city's 25-member Assembly will also be elected that day.
11 April 2008EXCLUSIVE: Rail company apologises for homophobic incident 15 The Customer Service Director of rail operator First Capital Connect has said she was "both appalled and embarrassed" by an incident at London St Pancras station when a gay couple were told to stop being affectionate.The incident occurred at around 6:30am on Sunday, March 30th.A public announcement was made by a First Capital Connect staff member, directed at the gay couple, requesting "passengers please keep their hands to themselves and refrain from kissing."
Articles from April 2008
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: ‘I struggled with the issue of sexuality since I was a teenager’5
- Boris Johnson calls on Tories to unite and for the government to ‘get on with legalising equal marriage’7
- George Michael’s lucky escape after falling out of a car travelling at 70mph5
- Openly gay NBA player Jason Collins honoured with courage award+
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has ‘f**** things up’ with his equal marriage bill38
- New York: Thousands of protesters condemn murder of ‘gay angel Mark Carson’+
- Boris Johnson, Martina Navratilova and Clare Balding to take part in Pride London festival1
- MPs to debate humanist marriage ceremonies9
- Live blog: MPs debate and vote on same-sex marriage in England and Wales+
- Manager: Fined and suspended mixed martial arts fighter ‘doesn’t feel remorse’ for homophobic tweet15
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault127
- Video: President Obama tells all-male college 'Be the best husband to your boyfriend'7
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage' 83
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill38
- Manager: Fined and suspended mixed martial arts fighter 'doesn't feel remorse' for homophobic tweet15
- Coalition deal with Labour on straight civil partnerships keeps same-sex marriage bill on track16
- George Michael's lucky escape after falling out of a car travelling at 70mph5
- MPs reject legal protection for religious anti-gay equality beliefs13
- MPs to debate humanist marriage ceremonies 9
- MPs reject proposal to introduce straight civil partnerships without a full review12
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault127
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'83
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Bret Easton Ellis slams GLAAD and says gay basketball player Jason Collins treated like a 'baby panda'68
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- US Radio host: Gay news websites are covered with porn that is turning teens gay62
- Lib Dem MP Sarah Teather tells Catholic newspaper 'I never went into politics to tackle equal marriage'59
- Tory MP David Burrowes: 'I'm not anti-gay; I'm just pro-marriage'57
- Tory MP David Burrowes: I only want a referendum on same-sex marriage so I can defeat the government's bill54
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage