17 March 2008Gay votes may have been pivotal in Malta election 3 A political party in Malta that campaigns for LGBT rights may have set back their cause by taking votes away from the country's Labour Party.Labour are generally considered to be more liberal than the winning Nationalist Party (PN), who now remain in power.For a decade the Green Party in Malta, Alternattiva Demokratika (AD) and their leader Harry Vasallo have challenged the two-party system in Malta and pushed for gay civil rights, attracting the votes of thousands of LGBT on the island.
17 March 2008London’s festival of lesbian and gay cinema + The 22nd BFI London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival starts on March 22nd 2008.The annual event showcases a wide selection of LGBT-themed films and has grown in popularity in recent years.
17 March 2008Russian anti-homophobia week faces nationalist protests + Anti-gay activist have begun preparations to disrupt the planned Russian Week Against Homophobia.It is being held in cities such as Moscow, St Petersburg, Voronezh,Krasnodar, Omsk, Petrozavodsk, Rostov-na-Donu, Samara, Tumen and Cheylabinsk.During the week of March 25th-31st, there will be a series of seminars, panel discussions, meetings and film showings with debates.
17 March 2008Gay protest at St Patrick’s Day parade 3 A gay rights group in New York will protest at the traditional St Patrick's Day Parade today.The group, Irish Queers, plans to disrupt the parade, which excludes members of the LGBT community on the grounds that it is a religious event."We're sick of hearing city officials say they can't intercede in the homophobia because it's a religious march," said Tierney Gleason of Irish Queers.
17 March 2008Activists and politicians launch IDAHO in London + Government ministers, candidates for Mayor of London and more than 100 LGBT activists from across the world came together at the University of the Arts in London last week for the UK launch of the International Day Against Homophobia.Students on the Design for Graphic Communication course at the University of Arts designed double sided broadsheet posters to encourage UK campaigners to arrange events for the IDAHO on May 17th, and the winning posters were displayed at the event.IDAHO founder Louis-Georges Tin was in attendance.
17 March 2008Swiss may deport gay teen to Cameroon 1 Switzerland is due to return a Cameroonian teenager to his home country, where he could face imprisonment and physical punishment.Anatole Zali arrived in Switzerland from Cameroon on 3rd February 2008 and claimed asylum on the grounds that he had been threatened because he is gay.In Cameroon, Zali, who is 18, claims to have received threats from the police, where he stayed with his cousin for protection.
17 March 2008Feeling singer says pop stars should follow him out of the closet + The Feeling's frontman Dan Gillespie Sells has urged more pop stars to come out.In an interview to publicise the Feeling's upcoming album, Join With Us, he told the Daily Record:"The world would be a healthier place if people were more honest about their sexuality and the entertainment industry would be healthier if people were more honest full stop.
17 March 2008Poll shows Boris ahead in race for Mayor of London + The Conservative candidate for Mayor of London is well ahead of his two main rivals, according to polling carried out for the Evening Standard newspaper.The online poll of 1,005 Londoners was conducted by YouGov.
17 March 2008Elton to play fundraiser for Hillary + British pop legend Sir Elton John has stepped into the political limelight for the second time this year by agreeing to raise funds for Senator Hillary Clinton's campaign for President of the United States.The multi-millionaire singer-songwriter said in a statement: "I'm not a politician but I believe in the work that Hillary Clinton does."Last month Sir Elton and his civil partner David Furnish held a dinner at their London home to introduce potential donors to Brian Paddick, a friend of the couple and the Lib Dem candidate for Mayor of the city.
17 March 2008Spencer Livermore to leave Downing St + The Prime Minister's Director of Political Strategy is reportedly leaving to take a job in advertising.Spencer Livermore was named the most important gay person in British politics in the PinkNews.co.uk Top 50 list in December.His departure is seen as a blow to Gordon Brown: Mr Livermore has been one of his closest and most loyal aides for more than a decade.
17 March 2008Livermore “excited” about his new role + The Prime Minister's departing Director of Political Strategy was not forced out of Downing St and he expects to remain close to Gordon Brown, PinkNews.co.uk has learned.It was revealed earlier today that Spencer Livermore is to leave the government this week.Downing St sources said he still expects to play a key role in the next election campaign.
18 March 2008Homophobic politician’s son denies he is gay 11 Much talk has been made about Oklahoma State House Representative Sally Kern's remarks that the "gay agenda" was more threatening to her country than terrorism.Rumours began to circulate after the media frenzy about her remarks erupted that her son, a 31-year-old affiliate of the Des Moines School of Metaphysics, was gay.This week however, Jesse Kern denied those rumours, saying he is not gay, just celibate.
18 March 2008Scouts frank about gay sex, drugs and abortion 1 A report by the Italian Scouting Association has reportedly found that nine out of ten Scouts and Girl Guides questioned have no problem with pre-marital sex.Other liberal attitudes expressed by the young people, gathered together from international scouting associations at a jamboree in Florence in 2006, include one quarter of the girls and 12 per cent of the boys reportedly saying that they would consider a same-sex experience.More than 80 per cent of those questioned said they were happy to get drunk.
18 March 2008McGreevey confirms threesome claims 1 The saga of Jim McGreevey, the first US state Governor to come out of the closet, continues with allegations he and his ex-wife regularly had threesomes with a male employee.The former Governor of New Jersey admitted in 2004 to having an extra-marital affair with his male aide Golan Cipel.McGreevey announced the story himself and resigned from office after a sexual harassment lawsuit was brought against him by Cipel.
18 March 2008Football fans banned for homophobic and racist abuse + Nine Blackpool FC fans have been banned from their home ground for shouting homophobic and racist abuse during Saturday's match against Preston.Supporters of both teams complained about offensive chanting and police were asked to investigate.Following an ongoing investigation, the nine Blackpool fans have been banned and police are scrutinising CCTV footage with the intention of issuing more banning orders.
18 March 2008Countdown to Mayor of London election begins + The official campaign period for the Mayor of London election starts today.
18 March 2008Who gets your vote for Mayor of London? 6 PinkNews.co.uk is inviting readers to take part in our second Mayor of London poll.Today is the start of the official campaigning period for the election.
18 March 2008Gay adoption ruling may set precedent in Israel 1 An Israeli court has ruled that a gay couple can both register to be their adopted son's father.The landmark decision, made by the Ramat Gan Family Court in Tel Aviv, may well set a precedent for other gay couples.Giora Shavit and his long-time partner Avi Shadiv have now registered to jointly adopt their five-year-old son.
18 March 2008Another outing for R.E.M. singer 1 Michael Stipe has announced that he is gay.
18 March 2008Syrian claiming gay asylum faces deportation order 2 A teenager from Syria who tried to claim asylum in the UK on the grounds of his sexual orientation has pleaded with the Home Office to reverse a deportation order.Jojo Jako Yakob claims he faces certain death if he is returned to his homeland.A deportation order was enacted against him after he was arrested for possession of a fake Belgian passport and placed in Polmont Young Offenders Institution in Scotland.
Articles from March 2008
- Lib Dem MPs encouraged to vote for Labour amendment to equal marriage bill+
- Video: President Obama tells all-male college ‘Be the best husband to your boyfriend’1
- Brittney Griner: University basketball coach told me not to come out1
- Gay Tory MP Nick Herbert: MPs should vote for Labour amendment to equal marriage bill3
- Czech President Milos Zeman criticised for homophobic snub of gay academic3
- Former Australian PM Kevin Rudd reverses anti-marriage equality stance4
- Human Rights Watch urges Zambia to drop charges in sodomy case+
- Exclusive: Government ‘relaxed’ on immediate review on the future of civil partnerships3
- Stonewall shocked by violent homophobic south London attack1
- Speaker John Bercow announces MP’s office searched investigating a ‘serious arrestable offence’+
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault118
- Downing Street will decide tactics for equal marriage bill after vote on straight civil partnership amendment42
- Daniel Radcliffe: When filming Kill Your Darlings, I was given 'step-by-step' gay sex scene instructions22
- UK: The simple state of play on the same-sex marriage bill and civil partnerships amendments6
- Labour table civil partnership Manuscript Amendment in order to 'rescue' same-sex marriage bill15
- Nick Clegg: 'I will make sure the same-sex marriage bill doesn't get hijacked by those with ulterior motives'19
- Maria Miller: Civil partnership amendment could delay same-sex marriage bill by two years25
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion134
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault118
- Tory MP Nadine Dorries: 'The gay marriage bill is taking the sex out of marriage'90
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'72
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Bret Easton Ellis slams GLAAD and says gay basketball player Jason Collins treated like a 'baby panda'65
- US Radio host: Gay news websites are covered with porn that is turning teens gay62
- Lib Dem MP Sarah Teather tells Catholic newspaper 'I never went into politics to tackle equal marriage'59
- Tory MP David Burrowes: 'I'm not anti-gay; I'm just pro-marriage'57
- Tory MP David Burrowes: I only want a referendum on same-sex marriage so I can defeat the government's bill54
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage