14 March 2008Religious Russians target cartoon channel + Protestant groups in Moscow are urging for the closure of a cartoon channel they claim promotes homosexuality and religious intolerance.Channel 2x2, which broadcasts Western cartoons such as South Park, has been accused of promoting "homosexual propaganda".It is the second time in a week that the network, owned by Vladimir Potanin's Prof-Media Group, has come under fire for its contents.
14 March 2008Victoria MP fears register will lead to gay marriage + A leading Australian MP has claimed a relationships register for gay couples would erode the sanctity of marriage as debate over the controversial bill continues.Victorian Nationals leader Peter Ryan was one of the first MPs to express his views on the new register, telling parliament it would inevitably lead to legislating gay marriage.Under the proposed new law, gay couples in the state of Victoria would be able to register their relationship for easier access to entitlements.
14 March 2008Gay community “right” to recall Nazi persecution 53 The chair of the Holocaust Educational Trust has defended the right of gay people to commemorate the Holocaust.Lord Janner's comments follow the remarks of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Motherwell, who said earlier this week that the "homosexual lobby" attend Holocaust memorial events to create for themselves the image of a group of people under persecution."Between 5,000 and 15,000 gay men were held in concentration camps by the Nazis as members of an "anti-social group."
14 March 2008US Senate will debate ban on HIV+ travellers 6 A bill authorising billions of dollars of spending on AIDS prevention in developing nations has been approved by the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee.The legislation includes measures to lift the current US policy which bars people who are HIV+ from entering the country.The bill, which also aims to relax rules that required that one-third of all prevention money be spent on abstinence programmes, will now be debated on the floor of the Senate.
14 March 2008New rules on HIV prosecutions released 4 New guidelines on how prosecutors should deal with cases involving the intentional or reckless transmission of STIs have been published by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) today.The CPS has devised a public policy and guidance statement that covers the Code for Crown Prosecutors and how it should be implemented in all cases.The guide also outlines offences the CPS will consider in relation to cases of the intentional or reckless sexual transmission of infection.
14 March 2008Galloway claims Iran executes sex offenders, not gays 16 Outspoken London MP George Galloway has said that the boyfriend of Iranian asylum seeker Mehdi Kazemi was executed for sex crimes.The Respect politician made his claims on Channel Five show The Wright Stuff yesterday morning.Mr Kazemi is claiming asylum in the UK.
14 March 2008Iranian gays still facing deportation from UK 7 Gay activists have told PinkNews.co.uk that the government need to reconsider the cases of other gay asylum seekers following the reprieve of Iranian teenager Mehdi Kazemi's.Home Secretary Jacqui Smith announced yesterday that in the light of "new circumstances" gay Iranian Mehdi Kazemi should have his case reconsidered upon his return from the Netherlands, where he fled when his first application was denied.The 19-year old, who has lived in Britain since 2005, was facing deportation and possible execution in Iran, where homosexuality is illegal.
14 March 2008PM says Mandelson will only serve one term + The Prime Minister has quashed speculation that he may re-appoint former Labour Cabinet minister Peter Mandelson as a European Commissioner.Arriving at a European summit last night, Gordon Brown told reporters that Mr Mandelson would only serve one term."Peter Mandelson said he doesn't want to become the next commissioner," he said.
14 March 2008Homophobic bishop branded un-Christian by MSP 53 A Labour member of the Scottish Parliament has echoed comments from gay equality organisation Stonewall and branded the Bishop of Motherwell as un-Christian.George Foulkes MSP tabled a motion condemning Bishop Joseph Devine's comments that gay people attend Holocaust memorial events in order to "create for themselves the image of a group of people under persecution" as "unfortunate, outdated and un-Christian."Gay equality organisation Stonewall also criticised the Roman Catholic leader.
14 March 2008Gay group shocked at ignorance among Euro politicians 1 Last week's meeting of the Legal Affairs Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe exposed some members' ignorance about gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans people, according to the International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA).The committee was holding its first hearing on a report on LGBT rights in the member states.The 47-member Council of Europe promotes and protects democracy, educational and sporting co-operation and created the European Court of Human Rights.
14 March 2008CPS want Royal blackmail trial in private 25 The Crown Prosecution Service has requested that the trial of two men charged with attempting to blackmail a member of the Royal Family be held without the public being allowed into court.Ian Strachan, 30, and Sean McGuigan, 40, pleaded not guilty to making demands with menaces, contrary to the Theft Act 1968, at the Old Bailey in December.They were arrested in October after police mounted a sting operation.
14 March 2008Trans meeting will attract activists from across Europe + The second meeting of the European Transgender Council is to be held this year in Germany, it was announced today.The council, comprised of Transgender Europe (TGEU), the Transgender Network Berlin (TGNB) and TransInterQueer Berlin (TrIQ) will be meeting in Berlinfrom 2nd to 4th May, following their last successful event held in Vienna in 2005.The programme will feature representatives from international activists and experts such as Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International.
14 March 2008Lesbian couple delighted at birth of quads 1 A lesbian couple who work at the Irvine Police Department in Orange County, California have become the parents to quadruplets.Cristine Gaiennie and Patsy Lovell, who have a 2-year old son from the same anonymous sperm donor, conceived after seven failed attempts at artificial insemination.Gaiennie, 39, who carried the babies, underwent ovulation induction to stimulate egg production before successfully giving birth to two boys and two girls earlier this month.
Articles from 14 March 2008
- Former BP CEO Lord Browne to write new book on homophobia in business1
- Scottish trans woman ‘forced’ to leave town after she was branded a ‘witch’3
- US: Psychotherapists slam ‘gay cure’ app still available from Google app store1
- Mixed martial arts fighter: ‘Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages’19
- Dale Cregan sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering gay police officer and her colleague2
- Russia: Fans warn anti-gay law poses 2018 World Cup violence risk6
- US Supreme Court ruling on Proposition 8: Six possible outcomes1
- US: Gay Jewish activist wins $3.5M lawsuit against cousin for ‘brutal’ childhood abuse+
- US Supreme Court not to decide on DOMA or Prop 8 cases today+
- US: Caterpillar Inc cuts ties with Boy Scouts over lack of progress on gay leadership+
- French Olympic swimmers pose as 'imaginary gay couple' for anti-homophobia campaign10
- Nebraska: University withdraws lesbian student for 'immoral homosexual acts'16
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill36
- Republican Mike Huckabee: 'Every fear' over same-sex marriage has come true42
- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard: It's 'absurd' to think my hairdresser partner Tim Mathieson is gay7
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill59
- Former Talksport presenter furious after being branded a 'homophobic radio z-lister'9
- In Photos: As One in the Park 201317
- US: Gay Jewish activist wins $3.5M lawsuit against cousin for 'brutal' childhood abuse0
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages' 19
- Daily Mail's Andrew Pierce: I'm called a 'homophobe' and 'Uncle Tom' for opposing equal marriage102
- France: Gay rights campaigner, 18, left brain dead after far-right attack67
- Ann Widdecombe: I wouldn't have enjoyed serving under David Cameron because of equal marriage65
- Lord Dear proposes new amendment to equal marriage bill concerning 'traditional marriage'60
- Baroness Knight: The gays are still good at antiques and Section 28 was right59
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill59
- Priest causes row by calling Justin Welby a 'wanker' on Facebook for equal marriage opposition55
- French mayor: 'I will go to the gallows' before performing a same-sex wedding52
- Tory Lord Jenkin: The Lords equal marriage vote was a victory for common decency51
- Pope Francis: There is a 'gay lobby' at the heart of the Vatican 'it exists'48
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage