US gay Catholics plan special welcome for Pope

1. I guess with the Pope being a former member of the Nazi Hitler Youth some of that twisted fascist ideology was bound to be residual in his current thinking against gay people. ‘Leopards spots’ comes to mind!Thank God, I’m not religious!!! lol.

2. Doubt whether this Hitler Jugend Pope will be visiting the predominantly Protestant East Coast States.

3. Robert, ex-pat Brit 4 Mar 2008, 2:39pm

Gendy, he will be visiting the eastern states of NY and Washington, DC both of which are on the eastern sea board. This is nothing more than a foreign dignitary meddling in the affairs of a foreign state, to agitate and cause division in an important political year, its nothing new. He will not succeed in what he’s set out to do. The U.S. is not Italy.

4. Mark Satterthwaite 4 Mar 2008, 3:57pm

This pope is evil-knowing he was a member of the hitler youth it doesn’t surprise me that he is dragging the church back to the dark ages-pink triangles anyone?

5. Robert, ex-pat Brit 4 Mar 2008, 4:17pm

Mark, this is the most regressive pope since John XXIII. There have been no other progressives since, nor will there be. So be it, it will hasten its demise.

6. F**k the pope.The Vatican’s history of human rights speak for them self.

7. Bill Perdue 4 Mar 2008, 7:55pm

Josef Ratzinger, Der Pope, isn’t an accidental Nazi. He joined the HitlerJugend and the Nazi party before it was obligatory. He was given a safe assignment in a Luftwaffe antiaircraft battery while most of his generation of Germans and Austrians were becoming burnt grease smudges at Stalingrad and Kursk. At a time when the smoke from the camps could be seen over much of Europe PiusXII didn’t raise a finger because Hitler was doing ‘God’s Work” – killing Jews, gays, Russian Untermenschen and trade unionists. Herr Ratzinger’s strident attacks on the GLBT communities are a desperate ploy to deflect attention from the fact that thousands of priests raped tens of thousands of prepubescent boys and girls. That, added to the usual list of suspects – high living corrupt bishops, the interpenetration of the catholic cult and far right politics, and the declining number of sheeple able to believe that “The Exorcist’ is a documentary – means that catholic cult is in a steep decline. Lets all hope that it slips and breaks its neck.

8. The man is deluded. He believes that an earthling was impregnated by the great ghost in the sky. Enough said. He’s a fool and a prat.We need those in the Catholic church who are less foolish and less prattish than he to stand up to him, to rebel, to give him STICK!I had a boyfriend some years ago who was a student-priest in Rome for some years before he “saw the light” and decided to leave the church and embrace his gayness. However, before that happened, while he was still a student-priest in Rome, every week he visited the Vatican apartments where he had sex with one of the then Pope’s closest aides, a certain Monsignor. The point of mentioning this is this: there are literally DOZENS of gay men women amongst those Catholic clergy who surround the Pope on a daily basis. We need them to rebel, to say, “No, Pope, forget it! We ain’t cooperating anymore! Go out on that balcony, twat, and fall off – for all we care!”

9. Mark Satterthwaite 4 Mar 2008, 8:27pm

I worked as a Franciscan Priest on the south side of Chicago and during that time my superior knew I was gay. I left after presiding at a funeral for a sixth chid killed in a drive by shooting. I today am a Unitarian Universalist as are a lot of ex catholics and we talk about what this sick man and what he has done to catholicism. I am today an atheist.

10. What a shame he’ll be here in April and will miss the Equality Forum’s Interfaith Service in Philadelphia on May 4th. The Rt Rev John Shelby Spong, longtime champion of homofolk inclusion in the Episcopal Church, will speak. Must be some metaphysical law about ignorance and enlightenment trying to occupy the same place.

11. Grizelda Von Karbunkle 5 Mar 2008, 10:35am

The complete lack of evidence for the religious claims Mr Ratzinger makes will always be a problem for him when promoting his particular version of “morality”. A type of morality mostly confined to addressing sexual practice and being comprised of compulsory heterosexuality or none at all (excepting paedophile priests of course).It would be more fitting and it would actually make some sense if Papa Ratzo styled himself Pope Maledict.

12. I think this is a good time to tweak that famous letter (thought to have been written by Michael Moore) to Dr. Laura Schlessinger, the U.S. talk show and TV host who has been a very vocal proponent of anti-gay politics and literalist Bible interpretation.Dear Pope Maledict,Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him the Bible clearly states it to be an abomination (Lev. 18:22) ….. End of debate !I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some specific laws and how to best follow them as a true believer.1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this? 2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in the Bible (Exod. 21:7). In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her? 3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence. 4. The Bible also states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us (Lev. 25:44). A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify? 5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. The Bible clearly states he should be put to death (Exod. 35:2). Am I morally obligated to kill him myself? 6. My friend practices the Wiccan religion. Since the Bible states that he must be put to death (Exodus 22:18 ), am I morally obligated to kill him as well? 7. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? 8. The Bible states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight (Lev. 21:21-23). I have to admit that I wear prescription glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here? 9. I need to do some business on the island of Crete soon but the Bible states that people from the island of Crete are liars and lazy (Titus 1:12). Should I be careful when doing business there? 10. I read Amnesty International is in Thailand protesting the selling of under-aged girls into slavery and prostitution. Should I write my congressmen and request that we encourage these young girls to obey their masters as it states in the Bible (Eph. 6:5)? 11. Should I have the foreskin of my penis cut off? The Bible commands that all men must do this (Exod. 12:48 ). I would have my doctor do it but I think I can save some money by doing it myself. Any ideas on how best to do it? 12. At the church I attend, some women lead a Bible study. What is the best way to tell them to shut up? We must not have women speaking in church when the Bible forbids them to (1 Timothy 2:12). 13. Many of the women in our church wear jewellery. Since women are forbidden to wear jewellery (1 Peter 3:3) what is the best way to tell them God is going to torture them in hell for eternity for doing so? 14. I want to obey the Bible and greet all the women at our church with a kiss (2 Thess. 1:26). Why do I get strange looks from them when I do – especially from their husbands? What about French kissing? 15. Recently, I have asked several women in my church to marry me since it is permissible for a man to have many wives (1 Kings 11:3). Why do I continually get rejected? People at church are beginning to talk. 16. I suppose I will not get married since the Bible states that men should not marry (1 Cor. 7:1). What do you suggest? 17. There are many unbelievers where I work and because we are forbidden to associate with them (1 Cor. 4:11). I am wondering how best to tell them to keep away from me. 18. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die? 19. I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves? 20. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14) I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident that you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.

13. Robert, ex-pat Brit 5 Mar 2008, 3:02pm

Dai, excellent! I’ve sent similar letters to religious leaders here in the U.S., but of course, no response is forthcoming, ever. It is so transparent why they use that one questionable reference in Leviticus isn’t it? Maybe you should send your letter to Rowan Williams et al? Believe me, he and his ilk will concoct some very smug response to justify why they don’t adhere to those parts of scripture that they conveniently choose to reject or ignore. Its beyond hypocrisy and double-standards. We need to keep the pressure on them to respond, with impunity.

14. “…..had sex with one of the then Pope’s closest aides, a certain Monsignor.”Do you mean Georg Gaenswein, the Pope’s favourite, a very good-looking German?

15. Kardinal, no I wasnt speaking about the current Prat – but an earlier one, some 20 years ago. Can you tell us more about this Georg Gaenswein? I really do feel the best way to tackle and/or topple Maledict is from the inside. We need gay informers and “saboteurs” inside the Vatican to assist us in staging embarrassing protests. There are BOUND to be discontented gay insider-clerics who could, for example, help activists smuggle in a big cardboard cut-out of two gay men with their arms tightly around each other and SNOGGING, and place it ON THE BALCONY 15 minutes before the midday appearance on Easter Sunday . . . in front of the world’s media and the thousands of assembled brainwashed panting with adoration below!

16. Kardinal, I see what you mean! Here’s a pretty good pic of the current Prat’s handsome assistant.Hmmmm. Now, given that even the holiest most devout Catholic man has a wank now and again . . . what is it, I wonder, that Georg Gaenswein fantasizes about when HE’S having a good pull, in the quiet of his Vatican apartment?

17. And here’s a pic of Gaenswein with his arms around his beloved!

18. He is blasphemous for distorting the true message of prophets. That pathetic pope is a disgrace and a hypocrite. His hate needs to be put out to pasture.

19. Jen Marcus 10 Mar 2008, 3:27pm

This person allegedly is the “Vicar of Christ” on earth? They even call him a “Holy Father” BTW, if there is a father where is the “Holy Mother?” In addition, this person certainly doesn’t represent the loving, compassionate and inclusive Christ and/or God I know. Why should he even come to the United States? There are already enough irreligious hypocrites and divisive right wing nut job homophobic bigots in the States. In fact, one resides in one of the city’s he plans on visiting ,Washington, DC.

20. Martin Kurylowicz 27 Mar 2008, 9:40pm

Children Growing-up Gay Vatican’s Impact Harmful by Martin S. Kurylowicz, M.Div., M.S. February 15, 2008, Diocese of Grand Rapids Galileo Galilei born, February 15, 1564The Vatican’s pronouncements against homosexuality are unsubstantiated and are harmful to everyone, particularly to very young children. Richard Isay, Psychoanalyst, Professor of Psychiatry, Cornell University Medical School, found in his clinical studies that children as young as 4 and 5 years of age, who grow up to be gay, know that they are different. The Vatican norms influence the social environment of a child, fostering developmental disruptions in the expression of their sexual orientation and the formation of secure human attachments. This has resonating effects throughout their lifetime. It damages, in early childhood, the core part of a human being that hopes and believes that his/her needs for love are valid and permissible, which pushes the child into the direction of a depressive state of hopelessness for life. (Jack Drescher, M.D. and Henry Krystal, M.D.) IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER that it has been noted that homosexuals who are not raised in environments influenced by the Vatican’s pronouncements against homosexuality or the like, do not display any unusual symptoms that would separate them out from the general population. They tend to live lives that are full, productive and well adjusted, combined with a strong network of close and enduring relationships. This paper is addressing specifically the harmful effects experienced by those who were raised in environments influenced by the Vatican’s pronouncements against homosexuality. The Vatican pronouncements against homosexuality are as archaic as the pronouncements used against Galileo, in 1633, which condemned him, as a heretic, for claiming “the earth revolves around the sun,” contradiction to the Vatican’s interpretation of the bible that it is “the sun that revolves around the earth. ”Historians have described this conflict between the Vatican and Galileo, as the arrogance of authority vs freedom, and identifying the aspects that led the Vatican to make this error in judgment. The Vatican was the (1) sole source for interpreting the bible, objectivity was lost and the interpretations were biased to fit the unchallenged traditional constructs, that (2) opposed the free search for truth. Without the freedom of expression of ideas, the Vatican then becomes tightly insulated from any new knowledge that challenges their interpretations, which leads the Vatican to (3) rejecting the scientific findings of its time. (Fr. Jerome J. Langford, O.P.) These aspects are similar to the symptoms known as “groupthink” a concept from social psychology. (Irving Janis) “Groupthink” identifies a mode of thinking that develops in highly cohesive groups, where members tend to strive to be unified, agreeable and cooperative with each other. It is difficult to imagine how such benign qualities in groups, like the Vatican, which has the most honorable intentions and dedication to strenuously labor for achieving the best decisions that will be the most beneficial for people to experience the fullness of God’s love and blessings, however, in reality the outcome can unintentionally be quite the opposite. Making decisions that become problematic, causing unintentional violence, even murder to millions of innocent children and adults. What happens in groups to cause such devastating results? It is this effort among members to be in unity and conformity, which can be easily be mistaken as group consensus. However, this kind conformity unintentionally suppresses critical thinking and motives members to avoid conflicts, or being too harsh in judgments or criticisms. “Groupthink” can happen in many groups, families, communities, organizations, etc. However, in groups similar to the Vatican, this type of “groupthink” conformity is much harder to identify. Because this type of conformity can easily be confused, when it is under the disguise of the most sincerest efforts to faithfully be obedient to Christ’s central command to love, which is that we are to live as one, in love and peace with one another. Though, in scripture Christ provides many qualifications about the kind of love he commands of his followers. In the gospels, Christ is portrayed in numerous situations challenging and confronting the statues quo and false love, i.e. calling Peter satin, fierce physical anger shown in the temple area using a whip and kicking over tables, making the statement, such as, that he did not come to bring peace to this world, etc. Christ provides a number of remedies for “groupthink,” symptoms which are the kind that Irving Janis names as remedies, i.e. to name a few, critical evaluator (warnings about false pride, and all forms of greed, helping the least among you, etc.), checking warning signs (when all think well of you, security in possessions, if your light is darkness how deep that darkness will be), challenging insulation of an in-group (the blind leading the blind, do not invite people who will repay you, invite people who cannot repay you). “Groupthink” is a situation that occurs in groups vulnerable to making faulty decisions. The groups vulnerable to “groupthink” are described as highly cohesive groups, members having similar background, the group is insulated from opposing views from outside of the group, lack tradition of impartial leadership, the group is responsible for making quality decisions, and not having clear rules that are well defined for making decisions. The symptoms of “groupthink” are not done deliberately or intentionally, which is why it is difficult to detect them, without an objective form of remedy. Some symptoms of “groupthink” are (a) the group overestimates their abilities, i.e. as in knowing all aspects of an excessively complex situations, or subjects, (b) members feel pressured not to challenge the established assumed group consensus, (c) among all members there is an unquestionable belief in the inherent morality of their in-group, (d) collectively the members construct rationalizations to avoid any questioning of the reasons for recommitting to past decision, (e) they form stereotypes of the “enemy groups” and their leaders i.e., as evil, stupid, weak, (f) the group discourages: individual critical thinking, reality testing, presenting negative feedback, (g) mindguards, group protect members from adverse information disturbing group shared complacency about morality of past decisions. Every now and then, a surprising figure arises, inspired by a fuller understanding of Christ’s love and willingly confronts the fierce opposition of complacency, with the hope to initiate a resiliency of love for all people, ending all forms of hatred. Pope John Paul II was one of these figures, who in an unprecedented gesture of humility, in 1992, publically apologized to Galileo for the Vatican’s error and declared him “not guilty,” 359 years later. Pope John Paul II’s purpose for this gesture was to stress that the Church does not reject scientific progress and is not opposed to the free search for truth. He stressed that there are no irreconcilable differences between science and religion, stating “Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes.” In 2000, Pope John Paul II’s unwavering persistence to right the wrongs of the Church in the past, and despite the resistance from inside the Vatican, he proved to be unstoppable. On March 12, 2000, he made a public apology, asking forgiveness from God for sins committed by the Church, against groups of people, “We are asking pardon for the divisions among Christians, for the use of violence that some have committed in the service of truth, and for attitudes of mistrust and hostility assumed towards followers of other religions.” Pope John Paul II pleaded for the hope that “Never again,” would the Church repeat these kinds of violence. (Rory Carroll) Pope John Paul II began a process of removing the blindness of Church authorities caused by years of arrogance, he was replacing it with humility so as to open new ways to understanding and unity. This unprecedented act of humility, his public apology for the Church’s past sins, rekindles a sense of hope, in the Church. It was similar to the way Pope John XXIII, inspired hope by his words calling for the Second Vatican Council, 1962, “I want to throw open the windows of the Church so that we can see out and the people can see in.” These unprecedented public acts made by world church leaders generates hope, which should not be dismissed too readily because the light of hope does not shine yet in all areas of human life. It is the work of hope to keep it alive, giving it birth in areas where hope has yet to shine. The light of hope needs yet to shine on the Vatican’s process for formulating their pronouncements against homosexuality as intrinsically disordered, because it remains untouched, and follows the same process that led the Vatican to falsely condemn Galileo. The Vatican states the bible as the source of authority to condemn homosexuality, as they did to condemn Galileo. But this authority of the bible is (1) based solely on the Vatican’s interpretation of the bible, which lacks impartiality and therefore is not an objective interpretation to reach truth. Instead, it becomes exceedingly vulnerable in perpetuating a systematic error or truth, the Vatican intentionally formulated interpretations to fit the unchallenged traditional constructs of the past. As proven to be the case with Galileo, the Vatican’s interpretation of the bible remained consistent with the accepted tradition of the Church and dogmatically stated as the truth from God that it is

21. Martin Kurylowicz 27 Mar 2008, 10:25pm

is the sun that revolves around the earth. Therefore Galileo was accused of contradicting God. The Vatican has made this same kind of error regarding homosexuality. The Vatican interprets the bible as attesting to the fact that homosexuality is intrinsically disordered and states that this interpretation by the Vatican is consistent with the same moral judgment “…found in many Christian writers of the 1st centuries and is unanimously accepted by Catholic Tradition.” (Vatican’s Congregation For The Doctrine of The Faith, previously called the Congregation For Universal Inquisition, held by Cardinal Ratzinger until becoming Pope Benedict XVI) The Vatican (2) continues to remain closed to the free search for truth, by not taking in consideration the scientific research on the topic of homosexuality. There is a tremendous amount of psychological research data, complied over decades, from around the world. However, the Vatican, limits the consideration of this information to one sentence, which is found in the section on homosexuality, that is composed of 230 words in length, in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Even the latest scientific data related to gender, gender identity, human sexuality, sexual orientation, etc. (3) is not open for consideration by the Vatican, the importance of which is is rejected. Even though the research data from Gender Studies, alerts us to the fact that gender, gender identity is considerably more complex, than previously known, i.e. that it is fluid. It has broaden our understandings about gender, allowing for more insight into how people relate and function, which renders obsolete many traditional views about gender. Research studies on Core Gender Identity, which is defined as a person’s own sense of identification as male or female, are in ways “braincoded” and not necessarily dependent the genitalia of the person. In the late 1990’s, research from a Gender Studies presented at a conference, at an APA Convention, announced that we should not be thinking about only 2 genders, but more likely 2000 genders. The discrete categories once used to describe gender and sexual orientation, are now, from more recent research data, suggesting tremendous variability, which has implications that involves the entire human race. At this point, it seems that science is once again at the same critical juncture where it was for Galileo in 375 years ago. However, the Vatican is insistent on making the same mistake, just like it did , in 1633, stating as truth that “the sun revolves around the earth” only now the Vatican is stating “there are only two discrete genders.” This information likely sounds as stocking to the Vatican and to many others, today , as hearing , 375 years ago “ the earth revolves around the sun .“ The Vatican repeats this mistake by holding on to their pronouncements against homosexuality, which are not based on objective principles from the bible or science. This is a serious mistake that fosters inaccuracies about human sexuality that are then incorporated into social norms, which incites various forms of implicit and explicit violence, on a specific population of people, most especially including children. However, the effects of these various forms of violence are injurious in numerous way to parents, family members, relatives and friends, which is far beyond the Vatican’s intended targeted group. In light, of the above mention findings from gender studies research data, the Vatican pronouncements against homosexuality are outdated, lacking clarity, and specificity in content. The Vatican’s recommendations and directives intended for homosexuals around the world are questionable at best and seriously harmful at worst. “Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church) What is the definition and meaning of the support of disinterested friendships? There are serious concerns and questions, as to what this means and how it relates to healthy relationships with others, with oneself and the psychological well-being of a person. **************************** IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER, this paper is addressing issues related to those children at 4 and 5 years of age, who grow up to be gay, know that they are different. They do not know they are gay, at 4 and 5 years of age, only that they are different. It is only years later, in retrospect, can they identified what “different” meant and understand that it had to do with their early childhood uninhibited expression of love being expressed through their sexual orientation and core gender identity. It is important to remembered that the Vatican’s outdated concept of homosexuality is inadequate and does not, in anyway, begin to explain the astounding complexity involved. From gender studies, it is understood that within the old defined categories of homosexuality, heterosexuality, gender, gender identity, and sexual orientation, there is great variability and having more fluidity then once understood. What this means is that not everyone who grows up to be gay remembers feeling different as young as 4 and 5 years of age. This begins to show evidence of the some of the variability that is involved. From my personal experience of the Vatican’s pronouncements against homosexuality has had a significant harmful effect in my life beginning, as a child growing up and throughout my adult life. As a child, I was educated in Catholic schools from 1st through 12th grade, including in college and graduate studies in theology. In those first twelve years of Catholic education, it was taught continuously in our catechism classes that homosexuality was evil and such people were meant to suffer in hell. It was not until, I was in the 7th grade, on a weekly visit to the public library, I read through a book on Freud and found the first words, by a respected world renowned authority, that were not condemning about homosexuality. However, from the beginning in early childhood, the Vatican’s negative message about homosexuality are unintentionally and implicitly conveyed in subtle ways to a child, by parents and other the adults in the life of the child. These messages are coming from the effects of social norms of the adults, who they themselves have been strongly influenced, over the years, by the Vatican’s pronouncements against homosexuality. Even at a very young age these subtle negative messages do cause a number of fears and confusion to a child, who grows up to be gay. It seems the parents make interventions to their child generally out concern and worries about their child’s future safety in the world, which are motivated by a reaction if their child’s behavioral deviates from the gender specific social norms. It was only in my late 30’s that a Trappist Abbot, challenged my thinking that I thought I was bad because I was “gay.” To my great surprised, the Abbot responded to me sternly, however warmly saying, “Who told you that you were bad!?! You are “gay”! This is a gift from God.” The abbot went on to say, with a sense of empathic moral surety, “You need to work on ‘coming out’ to yourself, first, learning to appreciate who you are and to begin feeling good about yourself, as a gay person.” This was entirely the complete opposite from what I was taught throughout my life by the Vatican. The Abbot was the very first person I had ever “come out” to in my life. I never before felt such concern and understanding and respect. This began a very long, extensive and expensive process of reversing years of the harm caused by the Vatican pronouncements against homosexuality. I drove twice a week from Grand Rapids to Detroit for counseling, because, as a priest, I was privy to too much personal information about too many people and priests in the Grand Rapids area, (where I grew up, and was stationed, at the time) for me to feel comfortable enough to speak freely to be in therapy in Grand Rapids. Besides therapy, as part of the “coming out” process, on Sundays, I would finish mass at noon, change out from wearing the roman collar, into my civvies and drive 3 hours from Grand Rapids area, to Detroit to Affirmations (The Community Center for Lesbian, gay, bisexual Transgender People) in Ferndale, MI to attend “coming out” sessions, where I was just another gay person. I never disclosed, the fact that I was a priest. If I was asked about my work, I would say, I work for human resources. My first time, at Affirmations, I was beyond scared, I prayed the whole 3 hours driving from Grand Rapids to Detroit and when I arrived and entered the session, I was stunned, as I was looking around the room. I remember saying to myself, “These people all look normal!!!” Afterwards, I kept on asking myself, what was I running from all my life! It was at, Affirmation, where I felt my life began but it was also the place where I saw and learned about so much injustice and violence that is directed, at LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) people. And as a priest, I felt somehow responsible for this injustice continuing and the duty to speak out against this injustice. I felt guilty for the years I felt bad about myself and all the negative stereotypes, I had in my head about gay people. Affirmations, helped me to begin healing, forgiving myself and to begin for the first time, in my life, to feel good about who I was!!! I was so grateful for all the people who worked and volunteered there and for all the risk they had to face to “come out” and feel good enough about themselves be to so helpful to others, like me, helping us to do

22. Martin Kurylowicz 27 Mar 2008, 10:28pm

do the same. Now, that was a gift from God. Since, I was already driving twice weekly from Grand Rapids to Detroit , I began taking classes at U of M, in Ann Arbor, in psychology and got involved in the U of M LGBT Office attending functions and classes. Next, I heard about PFLAG (Parents, Families, Friends of Lesbians Gays Transgendered Persons) and began attending meetings. PFLAG is one of the most supportive and affirming groups, because it was made up of tons of parents. Imagine! Parents supporting their LGBT children, this is truly a gift from God. These parents I truly believe, will be the very first people in heaven, with nonstop tickets. Their love is so strong, reassuring and so full of hope that everything is going to be all right that it leaves you feeling calmer, better and above all “hopeful” that you have a right to be happy, too! Here to I saw the grief, the stress and concerns of 100’s of parents, which just should not be. I would feel so responsible being a priest that somehow the Vatican has to help these people, and begin to follow these parents their examples of working hard to make the world a safer place for all Children. My first time attending mass at Dignity Detroit, I was in awe, such a holy place, which had nothing to do with the building where the Mass was being celebrate, it was all about the people who were there to celebrate the Mass. All these LGBT people, PFLAG people, and many other people, all singing. I mean, all singing!!! Like, I never heard a congregation sing before. No one could dispute that fact that Christ was truly, more than any other place I have ever been to, present among all those people. It was like a slice of heaven! And then one day, in 1997, in March, I was attending a conference, in Pittsburgh called the New Ways Ministry (A gay-positive ministry of advocacy and justice for lesbian and gay Catholics and reconciliation within the larger Christian and civil communities), another wonderful gift from God. Here I heard for the first time, Dr. Richard Isay, speak about children, as young as, 4 and 5 years of age, who grow up to be gay that they know that they are different. Dr. Isay ‘s address was emotionally quite revealing and in many ways traumatic for me. I realize that I was younger than 4 years of age and when knew I was gay, looking back in time. I could see all the harm that was done by the Vatican pronouncements against homosexuality, because at the young age of three, I did not willfully choose to be gay, to be evil or to do anything wrong, so deserving to be sent to hell. It was here, March 7 – 9, 1997, quite by accident, unexpectedly so, I was asked, if my name could be used in a newspaper article in connection with the convention. I felt that I was given an opportunity to help to make a difference. I was sure, at the time, there had to be someone else who would be better at “coming out” publically than me. However, I have said many times, in defense for my reasons for “coming out,” “When you see a child on the train tracks of an oncoming speeding train, you don’t think about anything else but to grab the kid to safety!” I knew too much by then and saw too much to remain silent while innocent children, who grow up to be gay should have to suffer needlessly their whole lives. I could not in good conscience remain silent and safe while so many others were not, especially children. I especially, remembered the very stern warnings that Christ made to anyone who harms one ot these his little ones. In March 1997, I came out publically to my parish, Holy Family Parish, Sparta, MI, with the hopes of drawing attention to children, who grow up to be gay and the pervasive harm that the Vatican causes by their pronouncements against homosexuality. The Vatican is responsible for causing harm and violence to millions of children and adults. And that the Vatican will in the same way, as the tobacco companies had to compensate their consumers for the life threatening damage and deaths they caused by their cigarette products, the Vatican will have to compensate for the harm caused to millions of people globally by their pronouncements against homosexuality. There are parents, who most faithfully believed that they were doing the best for their teenagers, by faithfully in enforcing these Vatican pronouncements against homosexuality on their teenage sons or daughters and only to find that their teenagers ended up committing suicide. They believe that they were doing what was right by God and the Church, because the Vatican presented their pronouncements against homosexuality, as if they were coming from God, the same as they did with Galileo, dogmatically confirming that it is “…the sun that revolves around the earth.” The Vatican needs to once again hear the words of Pope John XXIII about opening windows to see out and to follow Pope John Paul II unprecedented act of humility that leads to new understandings and by doing so the Vatican will be teaching us all by example that every individual is called to do the same. The master teacher to follow in this effort, as we know is Christ, in applying the remedies that Christ alerts us all to, found in the Gospels. They are consistent with the remedies listed for the prevention of the symptoms of “groupthink” that cause the making of faulty decisions that are life threatening to all people around the globe. IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER that it has been extensively noted that those children who do grow up to be gay, BUT DO NOT grow up in environments strongly influenced by these Vatican pronouncements against homosexuality, or the like overwhelming tend to live more fuller, well adjusted, and productive lives than those who do. Presently, there are no civil laws to protect gays, LGBT children, teenagers and adults….this is truly wrong in the eyes of God and will soon change. Christ in the temple. I explained to my bishop that my only fault was that I wanted to get healthy and to learn more. But in the process I learned too much and in the end I knew too much to keep silent, especially when children are being harmed, by the Vatican’s pronouncements against homosexuality. March 4, 2008

23. I think that this whole subject is Ludicrus.

24. Floppy Kelly 21 Apr 2008, 9:34am

I think that it is great.

25. I dont hold it agianst him that he was a nazi, just that he hasnt learnt from the experience since then. that is unforgivable.

26. Rev Ray Dubuque 22 Apr 2008, 10:23pm

For a lot of great material on both this pope and his conservative predecessor, check out my .