Gay Iranian teen faces deportation

1. What a ghastly situation to be in. Iran is well known to be vicious and murderous towards Gays and Lesbians so I have every sympathy for this young man.

2. Robert, ex-pat Brit 19 Feb 2008, 5:02pm

Roberto, if he faces deportation again by the UK back to his death in Iran, then our government will be an accomplice to that, along with all his fellow UK gay brothers and sisters who agree with the Home Office that one needs to prove his or her sexual orientation and fear of persecution, death or both. There are plenty of xenophobes and apologists among other things within our own gay community believe it or not, quite a lot who visit this website in fact.

3. Omar Kuddus 19 Feb 2008, 6:36pm

PLEASE< PLEASE support him, for i beg you to do so.This kid deserves a break.Read all my other comments regarding mim please and see how noone is helping.

4. Bill Perdue 19 Feb 2008, 9:13pm

Please help out by sending a letter of protest or a plea concerning Mehdi Kazemi to the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Division of Aliens, Visas the Movement of Persons, Migration and Alien Affairs Department (DPV/VV). contact…egalisatie.html, asking them to save the life of Mehdi Kazemi by granting him asylum in the Nethelands and appealing their decision to the EU Courts for emergency relief in this matter. Mehdi left England fearing deportation and went to the Netherlands, whose government plans to deport him on the 26th of this month. Please send a note to them about this. The English Home Office is likely to deport him to Iran where he’ll be tortured and murdered. Below is part of his story as published in the By Mehdi”The following was written by a 19-years-old gay Iranian who tells how, while he was a student in London, his boyfriend back home was executed for being gay. Mehdi says he was scared of returning home and meeting the same fate when his student visa expired last year – and of his asylum application to the Home Office. His article is based on his written statement accompanying the application from last year. Parts have been deleted for his safety and are clearly shown. A few minor corrections have been made to his English for reasons of clarity and are indicated in italics.I am an Iranian national, was born on [deleted] 1988, in Tehran. I am Shia Muslim. I have one sister. I have lived all my life with my parents and sister until I came to the UK [in September] 2005. My father made all arrangements for me to come to the UK to study. I was granted six months student visa until March 2006. In February 2006, I decided to continue my studies and extended my student visa until November 2006.When I was in Iran I did not have any problems. However, I used to have a male partner whom I used to meet secretly. I was 15 years old when I started dating one of my class mates in school. His name was Parham. He was also Iranian and we used to spend a lot of time together. I had just turned 15 years of age when I found out that I was sexually attracted men. I was very scared of this feeling and did not tell anyone about it. Parham was my best friend and one day he told me that he was attracted towards men and not women. When he told me that I started feeling comfortable with him and decided to tell him that I felt the same, we were 15 years of age when we decided to start our relationship. We used to meet everyday in school and sometimes out side school, in cinema or park. We started having sex about eight months after dating each other. We used to meet either in his house or my house when there was no one around. No one knew about our relationship. Everyone believed that we were best friends and nothing more than that. Very rarely did he visit our house. My parents knew him as I used to spend a lot of time with him. We were very scared of our relationship. But I had strong feeling towards him and could not stop meeting him. We had decided to keep our relationship a secret. We continued our relationship as I knew that if any one from the government had found out about our relationship we would be executed.When I came to the UK, I was in touch with him via email. We used to email each other almost once a week. He used to tell me that the situation in Iran is getting worse and there is more restriction on people and we used to write about general issues. We missed each other a lot and I wanted to return Iran at the end of my studies. Around December 2005, Parham stopped emailing me. I wrote about two three emails to him but he did not reply. I thought that this was maybe because he was outside Tehran or did not have access to internet. Towards the end March 2006, my uncle in the UK called me and informed me that my father had called and informed him about my male partner in Iran. He further informed me that Parham was arrested by the authorities in Iran and he had mentioned my name to the government of Iran. The authorities had been to my father’s house looking for me and my father was very shocked and scared about the whole situation. My uncle is an opened minded man and has lived in the UK most of his life and was not angry with me about this issue, as I had expected him to be. He told me that I must try to find a way for me to stay in the UK as my life would be in danger if I had return to Iran. He told me that I must wait for his call.I was thinking about Parham. I was very sad and scared for my life. I waited for my uncle to figure out a way to save my life as I knew that if I return to Iran I will be killed. A week later my uncle called me and asked me to explain the whole situation to him. He told me that he would not be able to help if I didn’t tell him full and true story. I decided to tell him everything. We discussed that whole issue and I told him that I was very sacred of my father and the government of Iran. My uncle told me that he will get more information from Iran and will keep me informed.Around end of April 2006, my uncle called me again and told me that my father had informed him that the authorities had executed Parham – and that I must not return to Iran as the authorities would do the same to me. I asked my uncle how the authorities found out that Parham was homosexual. My uncle told me that he was caught with another guy and was arrested. He was interrogated and asked to tell the authorities about all the men that he relationship with and he had mentioned my name to the authorities.Parham was charged with crime of being homosexual and was executed. Iran is an Islamic country and it is a serious offence to be in a relationship with a person of the same sex. I wish to inform secretary of state that I did not come to the UK to claim asylum. I came here to study and return to my country. But in the past few months my situation back home has changed. The Iranian authorities have found out that I am a homosexual and they are looking for me. I can not stop my attraction towards men.This is something that I will have to live with the rest of my life. I was born like it and can not change this fact; but it is unfortunate that I can not express my feeling in Iran. If I return to Iran I will be arrested and executed like Parham.” Please respond by sending a plea to the Netherlands government.

5. Terry Evans 20 Feb 2008, 8:31am

It will be a travesty of justice if this young man is returned to Iran by the UK government. The hypocrisy is unbelievable, and, if they do deport him, his blood will be on the hands of those in the Home Office. I, for one, will write to the Netherlanda sure. I hope Stonewall will also petition the case.

6. Terry Evans 20 Feb 2008, 8:57am

I tried that link, but it did not work. However, I did find an email address and wrote to that, plus my 5 Euro MP’s. I feel so powerless at times like this, but all I can do is e-mail as many people as possible – same for everyone I guess. I’ll write a page in my blog today too

7. I summarized Bill Perdue’s comment and translated into Japanese to ask my friends to send e-mail to Netherlands.Netherlands MUST follow principle 23 of Yogyakarta principles, “THE RIGHT TO SEEK ASYLUM”.

8. OMAR KUDDUS 21 Feb 2008, 1:53pm

Please sing the petition to try and save Madhis life@

9. Omar Kuddus 21 Feb 2008, 2:26pm

Dear Omar, Thank you for getting in contact with Amnesty International about Mehdi. What we do: At Amnesty International UK we campaign on refugee and asylum issues in the UK. Amnesty’s goal is to bring about a fair and effective asylum system. We attempt to achieve this goal in a number of ways – carrying out research into aspects of asylum policy and practice, developing proposals for improving those policies and practices, and then promoting our proposals with the government, members of parliament and other influential audiences. We cannot provide legal advice and representation to individuals seeking asylum in the UK. Lawyers and individuals can access Amnesty’s published country information from our website: http://www.amnesty.org In a very limited number of cases, AIUK can provide lawyers with specific country information on an individual (UK) asylum claim. Lawyers can make a request for specific country information on an individual’s case by emailing AIUK at refugeecases@amnesty.org.uk Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide relevant country information on a specific case. Mehdi If Mehdi is still in the Netherlands, he should speak to his lawyer to find out if he is able to challenge the decision to return him to the UK. If he cannot challenge this decision and he is returned to the UK, Mehdi should get seek advice from a specialist asylum lawyer in the UK – the help of a lawyer is important because individuals who have claimed asylum in the UK are trying to prove that the UK is under a legal obligation to allow them to stay in the UK. If Mehdi does not have an asylum lawyer in the UK, he may find the following information helpful: Asylum: Accessing legal advice in the UK • Refugee Legal CentreTel: 020 7780 3200 Website: http://www.refugee-legal-centre.org.uk Services: Including telephone advice, drop-in advice service and legal representation. • JCWI (Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants)Tel: 020 7251 8708 Fax: 020 7251 8707 Website: http://www.jcwi.org.uk Services: Including telephone advice. • Further contact details for legal advisers can be obtained from:Law Centres Federation Website: http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/ Community Legal Service Directory Tel: 0845 345 4345 Website: http://www.clsdirect.org.uk/en/directory/directorysearch.jsp Law Society of England and Wales Tel: 0870 606 2555 Website: http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law Best wishes, Gordon Bennett Supporter Care TeamAmnesty International UKTel: 020 7033 1777www.amnesty.org.ukAmnesty International UKThe Human Rights Action Centre17-25 New Inn YardLondonEC2A 3EA Omar Kuddus sent a message using the contact form at .

10. Omar Kuddus 21 Feb 2008, 2:28pm

Rayota, how does this overrule the Dublin Treaty singed by EU member states.Keep updated via my group page

11. Robert, ex-pat Brit 21 Feb 2008, 3:23pm

Omar, I’ve signed the petition you emailed to me. Interestingly, who are the others on here, if any, who’ve signed it? Could you state who they are?

12. Bill Perdue 21 Feb 2008, 8:39pm

If you have trouble with the first Dutch ministry of Foreign Affairs site use and on the left choose the option for ‘visas and legalization’ to send a message.

13. Thank you Mr. Bill Perdue and Mr. OmarI also sent e-mail to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherland (to address: dpv@minbuza.nl, is this rights?), and introduced Mr Omar’s petition page in Japanese. I wish the authorities and people of the Netherland pay attention to this fact that many people are worried about Mehdi Kazemi.I believe in Dutch people’s respect to freedom and the diversity…

14. Dear Omar,You might want to have a look at the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, rather than the Yogyakarta Principles. Though it was not a treaty, constitutional, or legal document (according to Wikipedia), I believe it is now legally binding, after the Lisbon Treaty.[quote]Article 19Protection in the event of removal, expulsion or extradition1. Collective expulsions are prohibited.2. No one may be removed, expelled or extradited to a State where there is a serious risk that he or she would be subjected to the death penalty, torture or other inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.[/quote]

15. William - Dublin 22 Feb 2008, 6:14pm

“I believe it is now legally binding, after the Lisbon Treaty.”Yoshi, unfortunately, the Lisbon Treaty is yet to be ratified by all member states, so it is not yet legally binding. Also, Britain and Poland have received guarantees that the charter will not affect, or cause change to, national law… and that weakens its standing somewhat.

16. OMAR KUDDUS 23 Feb 2008, 12:28pm

They are from the organisations below that Peter recommended us to as he is too unwell to help out on this one. Toby Grace @www.outinjersey.netmatteo.pegoraro@everyonegroup.com

17. Dear OmarDon’t you start a blog about Mehdi’s issue to inform all of us how Mehdi’s case is going now?We are worried about Mehdi and want to know how his situation is.

18. Huh Chang Sa 25 Feb 2008, 12:46am

Not Kill!

19. Dear William, Thank you so much for your clear explanation. I’ve been so confused! What a shame, though, that there are guarantees that the charter will not affect their national law…

20. I think that the life is more important…

21. Scott Golden 6 Mar 2008, 8:05pm

We MUST do something to save his life – we cannot stand by and see him sent back to certain death!Are there any suggestions what we can do to put pressure on the British Government to allow him to stay?

22. The gay world is not united enough. It allows itself to be understood in terms of sexuality only. This is unfortunate because their jealous opposers have a very unhealthy opinion about sex and friendship anyway. Many do not approve of sexual expression and automatically will not sanction its expression. They form their opinion out of ignorance. Homosexuality is a profound subject. Gay people must become deep thinkers and show genuine care for each other. We must raise our standards. Gay people must develop a multiple identity because we are not all the same. We must not exclude people who do not understand us. We must show them tolerance, even though they are spiteful.