30 January 2008Nearly 500 Czech gay and lesbian couples register + Research into the number of homosexual partnerships registered in the Czech Republic since a change in the law in July 2006 has found that not many have taken up their new rights.353 male same-sex couples and 134 lesbian couples had registered by the end of 2007, reports Czech gay portal Colour Planet.The Czech Republic was the first post-communist to recognise homosexual partnerships.
30 January 2008Farrell to be best man on gay brother’s big day 6 Actor Colin Farrell is to be best man at his brother's civil partnership ceremony.Eamon Farrell, 35, is planning to marry his 23-year-old boyfriend Steven Mannion after a proposing to him in New York last year.According to the Mirror: "Eamon proposed before Christmas.
30 January 2008Cameron calls for ban on hate preachers 13 The Leader of the Opposition has urged the Prime Minister to stop controversial Islamic theologian Yusuf al-Qaradawi from entering the country.Speaking at Prime Minister's Questions in the Commons, David Cameron said that he was a "hate preacher" and should be denied entry.Mr al-Qaradawi is known to have supported suicide bombings in Israel, the oppression of women's rights and has argued in the past that homosexuals should be put to death.
30 January 2008Vets mark 15th anniversary of US gay military ban + "I believe if we get a Democratic President we'll get rid of the ban.
30 January 2008Bush greets gay Congressman’s boyfriend 3 It was a moment of affection between two politicians, and in normal circumstances it would pass unnoticed.But when one is the only out gay man in Congress and the other a President who has revelled in his hostility to gay marriage, their closeness raises eyebrows.After his final State of the Union address to both Houses of Congress on Monday, President George W Bush greeted Congressman Barney Frank with a shoulder and head touch, as the two shared a personal moment.
30 January 2008Edwards drops out of race for White House + Former US Senator John Edwards has announced he will end his campaign for Democratic party nomination for President of the United States.An official announcement is expected later today in New Orleans.
30 January 2008Right-wing attempts to weaken work protection in Chile + Conservative politicians in Chile are working to water down new legislation that would protect gay people at work.The Chilean Movement for Homosexual Integration and Liberation (MOVILH), sais that some Senators are attempting to water down an anti-discrimination bill currently before the Senate."The right is waging a tremendous campaign against the bill, with the aim of removing the clause about sexual orientation from the text," Rolando Jimenez, the head of MOVILH, told IPS News.
30 January 2008Praise for Stonewall’s homophobic bullying work 4 A senior member of the government paid tribute to the work of gay equality organisation Stonewall today.Speaking at the launch of the first ever national guidance from the government to help schools tackle homophobic bullying, Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families Ed Balls paid tribute to the group's work.Stonewall was commissioned to write the groundbreaking online guidance in partnership with EACH (Education Action Challenging Homophobia).
30 January 2008Candidates praise Edwards for “classy” campaign + Former North Carolina Senator John Edwards has announced he will be dropping out of the race for the Democratic Presidential nomination.The decision comes after a consistent inability to compete strongly against rivals Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama and a disappointing third place finish in the Florida Democratic primary on Tuesday.Barack Obama said Edwards had left the presidential battle in a "classy" way.
31 January 2008EXCLUSIVE: Elton John backs Paddick’s campaign for Mayor 6 The Liberal Democrat candidate for Mayor of London received a boost last night when singer Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish held a fundraising event for him.The celebrity couple held a dinner for friends in their London home to introduce them to Brian Paddick.Speaking to PinkNews.co.uk this morning, Mr Paddick said: "I have been friends with Elton and David for many years and I am so grateful to them for supporting me in this way."
31 January 2008Defeated Giuiliani endorses McCain for President 2 Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuiliani ended his campaign for the Republican 2008 Presidential nomination yesterday after losing by a significant margin to rivals John McCain and Mitt Romney in the Florida primary.Giuliani endorsed McCain in a speech from California yesterday afternoon.Once considered a strong frontrunner for the Republican Presidential nomination, Giuiliani has trailed largely behind candidates John McCain and Mitt Romney in national polls recently.
31 January 2008Gay group faces court challenge in Turkey 1 Efforts by Turkish officials to close one of the country's leading LGBT organisations will resume in court today.A department of the Istanbul Governor's office responsible for non-governmental organisations alleges that the group, Lambda Istanbul, violates Turkish laws on morality.They claim that Lambda violates both the Penal Code, as an association in violation of "law and morals," and Article 41 of the Turkish constitution, which is concerned with "the peace and welfare of the family."
31 January 2008Footballers back cancer campaign aimed at young fans + An England footballer is backing a new campaign about testicular cancer.Portsmouth and England goalkeeper David James is telling fans to 'catch it early' in a new tongue-in-cheek advert to raise awareness of the disease for the Keep Your Eye On The Ball campaign.The advert will be screened to millions of fans at football grounds around the UK throughout the campaign's Focus Fortnight.
31 January 2008Schools OUT to launch homophobia toolkit for LGBT pupils 1 An organisation that works towards equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people in education will be unveiling a new resource for LGBT young people and their family and friends at the weekend.Schools OUT will also be celebrating the launch of LGBT History Month 2008 at their conference on Saturday.The event, taking place in the Drill Hall theatre in London, will feature a range of speakers, from a government minister to a lesbian rapper.
31 January 2008Heath Ledger rehab stories denied by publicist + Rumours of a Heath Ledger drug video surfaced on Hollywood gossip blogs across the Net on Wednesday.The video, reportedly to be aired on Entertainment Tonight, shows Ledger at a 'drug-fuelled' party in 2006.The video rumour comes on the heels of revelations Ledger's former fiancee Michelle Williams tried and failed to get him into rehab.
31 January 2008Disgraced Tory MP paid son’s friend 32 A Conservative MP who will today be suspended from the Commons for ten days after revelations about payments to his family has been accused of making additional payments to his son's friend.The Sun reports that "disgraced Tory MP Derek Conway gave a job to a close pal of his gay son Henry."Earlier this week Mr Conway announced he would be stepping down from Parliament at the next election after being censured by the Commons Standards and Privileges Committee.
31 January 2008Scientists create sperm from female stem cells 4 A research team at the University of Newcastle has created primitive sperm cells with female embryonic stem cells.The breakthrough could lead to same-sex couples producing children with both their genes.Karim Nayernia, Professor of Stem Cell Biology at Newcastle University, told New Scientist: "I think, in principle, it will be scientifically possible."
31 January 2008Man arrested on suspicion of sauna rape + Police in Manchester have confirmed they have made an arrest in relation to the alleged rape in a gay sauna in the city centre earlier this week.Shortly after 2.30am on Tuesday police received reports that a man had been raped at the Basement Complex on Tariff Street.An investigation was launched and a 31-year-old man from the Miles Platting area has been arrested on suspicion of rape.
31 January 2008Brian Paddick on Elton, cruising and his partner 6 The Lib Dem candidate for Mayor of London has spoken to PinkNews.co.uk about his friendship with Sir Elton John and David Furnish.Earlier today it was revealed that the international star and his film producer partner hosted a dinner where they introduced Brian Paddick to potential donors to his campaign."I have met David probably on twenty or more occasions, and we have had dinner together alone on a number of occasions," Mr Paddick told PinkNews.co.uk.
31 January 2008British editor appointed to new PlanetOut role 1 The editor in chief of American gay magazine Out has been promoted to editorial director for the parent company PlanetOut.In an email to company employees yesterday, PlanetOut CEO Karen Magee announced the changes.Aaron Hicklin, who was born in Wiltshire, began his career on the Edinburgh-based Scotland on Sunday and also contributed to The List and The Independent.
Articles from January 2008
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’7
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members+
- US church tells PinkNews: Equal marriage is to blame for violent Woolwich murder7
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’+
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’3
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote13
- Sir Gerald Howarth: ‘I should have used ‘militant’ rather than ‘aggressive’ to describe the ‘homosexuality community’36
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill — Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends ‘aggressive homosexual community’ equal marriage slur59
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 59
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'36
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur59
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage