PinkNews.co.uk list highlights lack of female representation

1. Isn’t it a shame there’s only 5 women out of 50? Seems like whilst gay rights are advancing, there’s still a long way to go regarding women’s empowerment.

2. Ok I want to marry him. Give me his contact.

3. Omar Kuddus 27 Dec 2007, 3:59pm

Ok I don’t want to marry him, but can he get Gordon (Brown) to give me permission to marry my partner.I annoy the Home Office and No 10. on a weekly basis and with it being the season of good will to ALL men Etc, it can not be too much to ask to “marry” the one you love and want to spend the rest of your life with.To quote the Queen in her speech on Christmas day:“In my experience, the positive value of a happy family is one of the factors of human existence that has not changed.”“This was a family which had been shut out… in the end, we are all brothers and sistersThe Christmas story also draws attention to all those people who are on the edge of society – people who feel cut off and disadvantaged; people who, for one reason or another, are not able to enjoy the full benefits of living in a civilised and law-abiding community. For these people the modern world can seem a distant and hostile place. It is all too easy to ‘turn a blind eye’, ‘to pass by on the other side’, and leave it to experts and professionals.”All I want is the right, like everyone else to marry and grow old and be with my partner.

4. Omar Kuddus 27 Dec 2007, 4:15pm

To ALL the fifty most powerful LGBT’s in politics, I have but a simple request. Please, can you get Gordon Brown, the Home Office or the Government to give me permission to marry my partner, of over three years.I may annoy the Home Office and No 10 Downing Street and several Ministers and MP’s on a weekly basis, but no one seems to care and with it being the season of good will to ALL men Etc, it can not be too much to ask to “marry” the one you love and want to spend the rest of your life with.To quote the Queen in her speech on Christmas day:“In my experience, the positive value of a happy family is one of the factors of human existence that has not changed.”“This was a family which had been shut out… in the end, we are all brothers and sistersThe Christmas story also draws attention to all those people who are on the edge of society – people who feel cut off and disadvantaged; people who, for one reason or another, are not able to enjoy the full benefits of living in a civilised and law-abiding community. For these people the modern world can seem a distant and hostile place. It is all too easy to ‘turn a blind eye’, ‘to pass by on the other side’, and leave it to experts and professionals.”All I want is the right, like everyone else to marry and grow old and be with my partner.The luxury that you have and enjoy, that I am being deprived of, and something I will not give up on.Okuddus@yahoo.co.uk

5. Robert, ex-pat Brit 27 Dec 2007, 7:54pm

Omar, well said, I enjoin you in that. No government should be be telling who can and who cannot marry, none. Who are they to tell us who we can love and commit to anyway. With one in two straight marriages failing, adultery, philandering by spouses, the argument that allowing gay people to marry doesn’t hold water any more. It is the straight who is the real threat to marriage, not us, nor have we ever been or will be.

6. Omar Kuddus 27 Dec 2007, 9:30pm

Dear Robert (ex-pat Brit),Thank you, I just wish they (the Home Office/Government) would listen, to what I have to say.Everyone has the right to marry, its under Article 12 of the European Human Rights Convention that Britain signed.But then lets face it a civil partnership is not a “marriage” but if that’s the best they will let me have and I shall settle for it.A copy of the letter I have sent, individually, to ALL fifty LGBTs is bellow.I wonder how many will answer or stand up and be proud of who they are and what and who they represent.I am sadly, not holding my breath!I just want what everyone else wants and is entitled to. To marry my lover and form an everlasting relationship and be recognised as a couple as granted by statutory law..Dear SirI understand the strict parliamentary protocol that does not allow another MP to interfere with the constituent of another but I am not righting to you in the capacity of a constituent but as a British subject asking for help and guidance from one of the most powerful LGBT member in politics, as reported by PinkNews.co.uk.To ALL the fifty most powerful LGBT’s in politics, I have but a simple request. Please, can you get Gordon Brown, the Home Office or the Government to give me permission to marry my partner, of now over three years.I may annoy the Home Office and No 10 Downing Street and several Ministers and MP’s on a weekly basis, but no one seems to care and with it being the season of good will to ALL men Etc, it can not be too much to ask to “marry” the one you love and want to spend the rest of your life with.To quote the Queen in her speech on Christmas day:“In my experience, the positive value of a happy family is one of the factors of human existence that has not changed.”“This was a family which had been shut out… in the end, we are all brothers and sistersThe Christmas story also draws attention to all those people who are on the edge of society – people who feel cut off and disadvantaged; people who, for one reason or another, are not able to enjoy the full benefits of living in a civilised and law-abiding community. For these people the modern world can seem a distant and hostile place. It is all too easy to ‘turn a blind eye’, ‘to pass by on the other side’, and leave it to experts and professionals.”All I want is the right, like everyone else to marry and grow old and be with my partner.The luxury that you have and enjoy, that I am being deprived of, and something I will not give up on.Not only because it is my statutory and EUHR rights but because I feel, that I am being excluded from society and treated unfairly, living an constant threat that my partner will not be there This is due to (further to all my previous communications in regards to the subject) to the need for a Certificate of Approval (CoA) to be able to “ marry “ my partner Ismail Rasoli (Port Ref DEU/580749 HO Ref R1121330 ). As mentioned the concept of a Certificate of Approval was declared “illegal” by Lord Justice Buxton and agreed unanimously by Lord Justice Waller and Lord Justice Lloyd, in case No C4/2006/1469, on the 23rd of May 2007 in the Supreme Court of Judicature, Court of Appeal (Civil Division).The Secretary of State for the Home Department is however appealing the decision in the House of Lords and their Judiciary Office Manager, inform me that the earliest date that can be fixed to for a future hearing would be in February 2007. The Secretary of State, in Baiai [2007] EWCA Civ 478 , stated the need for a Certificate of Approval was to prevent “scham Marrages” and as ours clearly does not fall under such a category, it is herby requested as to why , we require a Certificate of Approval prior to registering our civil partnership with each other. We have already obtained several hundred signatures and affidavits proving our genuinely true love for each other that can be furnished to yourself or the relevant department. Furthermore there are several dozen World Wide Web sights (under my name / Gay Iranian and Gay Asylum; a list of which can be provided if required) highlighting our desire and fight to formulate this union for the past two years, and the problems that we have been having with the government to do so. Thus please can you explain why we require a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office and exactly how many signatures / affidavits and petitions have to be made to the government to allow us our civil and EUHR right to article 12 and 14, and my British statuary rights by law, granted to me as a British subject. Or what one must do to “marry” / form a civil partnership with the one ,one loves.Ones heart does not chose who we fall in love with, and if the government want to take responsibility to allow potential asylum seekers into the community, it has to take responsibility, for its actions, and can not then deny me, a British National the rights granted to me.Yours Sincerely OMAR KUDDUS.okuddus@yahoo.co.uk

7. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Dec 2007, 12:26am

It’s a sad indictment of gay people in politics if these two are the best we can come up with. Where were Spencer Livermore and Nick Brown when Gordon Brown needed advice on when to go to the polls? Gordon Brown had one chance and one chance only of election success that that was immediately after he had succeeded Blair. Clearly these two fools either failed to give Gordon the correct advice, or Gordon thought so little of their opinions that he ignored it. Either way, they have gained influence only during the dying throws of this government and will spend the remainder of their days desperately clinging to what little power they have left rather than working for the benefit of this country and its people.Surely pinknews could have done better than these two, that most of the country has not even heard of anyway. They have no power, they have no influence and they have done precious little to benefit the gay community.

8. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Dec 2007, 12:31am

Omar – have you spoken to your MP about this? I don’t know who yours is, but I’ve helped quite a number of people with resolving problems with their immigration status and my MP has always been extremely helpful.It is certainly within their power to do so. Although, even when files are pulled out of queues and put on officers desks there are still delays in finalising papers but MPs do have some legitimate influence over the Home Office in these matters.

9. John Stewart 29 Dec 2007, 12:40am

Disappointed not to see my charming husband, Cllr Neil Fletcher, on the list. He is a Vice President of CoSLA, the umbrella body for Scottish local government and arguably has more influence in Scottish Government, local and national, than Stephen Purcell.Cllr John Stewart

10. Robert, ex-pat Brit 29 Dec 2007, 1:37pm

Omar, maybe I missed something in one of your earlier postings here, but I’m not sure what your predicament is in regard to your boyfriend. I assume you are a British citizen residing in the UK? What is the status of your boyfriend and if you want to enter into a civil partnership, why are you having problems?

11. OMAR KUDDUS 29 Dec 2007, 1:38pm

Sister Mary Clarence,I have spoken, sent numerous emails to my MP (Sir Peter Soulsby) who has been helpful by getting in touch with the Home Office.As has the Prime Minister, Gordon Browns, Office.It is not a matter of Immigration status as being British myself; I have the Statutory and EUHRC rights behind me, to allow this to be resolved. In fact the Home Office has had the power, by statutory law, to allow us to formulate a civil partnership (as granted to Abdou Ait Mahmould and his partner Russell in January 1995).“Immigration law also allows for a half way house between the rules and the exercise of discretion, by way of what are known as “Concessions”. Such concessions do not form part of the rules, but are statements of policy by the Government> Generally the policy will be followed in appropriate cases, and the courts may even intervene in any case where the Secretary of State is seen not to be following their own stated policy.”However the Home Office wants us to either apply for a Certificate of Approval (CoA) which was declared an “illegal” document by Lord Justice Buxton and such any marriage / civil partnership carried out based on one, could have its validity challenged.The other option given to us (via our MP) by Emily Miles, Director Case Resolution Directorate (Home Office Border ands Immigration Agency, Corydon Surry, CR92XZ) was that my partner return to The Islam State of Iran and obtains the necessary entry clearance as my Homosexual fiancé, to return to Britain.Now we all know that is not an option for as soon as he admits his homosexuality in Iran, he has signed his own death warrant, as Iran has proved time and time again how its deals with LGBTs.The irony being that Iran has confirmed its intent (to torture and kill all homosexuals), to the British Governmental MP’s in May this year, and a fact that the HOBIA are well aware of, and Iran recently proved again by executing Makwan MouloudzedehI agree that Mps have powers to legitimately influence the Home Office over such matters (as has recently been proved in well publicised LGBT cases), but as you said delays occur and every day that passes one lives in fear that ones partner is going to be removed, or taken away to a fate much worse.

12. Robert, ex-pat Brit 29 Dec 2007, 1:56pm

Omar, it is offensive and disgusting that your boyfriend could be compelled to return to Iran in order to gain clearance to enter the UK and why is our government dragging its heels? Would they be as slow if it were a straight couple who wanted to marry in the UK where one partner is from Iran? I think not. Keep on making as much noise as you can. If our government truly believes in equality, let it demonstrate its commitment by allowing you and your boyfriend to be “partnered” legally. Its your right as a British citizen after all. Its not your fault you can’t get married either, its THEIRS.

13. OMAR KUDDUS 29 Dec 2007, 1:57pm

Robert, ex-pat Brit,I think what I said to Sister Mary Clearance about explains it.I am British; my partner (who is Kurdish Iranian) is not.He came to the UK seeking asylum due to persecution but was denied it.By which time we had met, fallen head over heals in love, as he was literally the boy next door. We had moved in together and have been living together as a couple ever since.I just want our relationship recognised and as a British national granted the same rights as every other Brit and us to be recognised, as a couple bonded together in a civil partnership.Now you would not think that would be a problem, would you, especially as Parliamentary Statutory law allows me to “marry” anyone I want who is in the country (and even not).

14. OMAR KUDDUS 29 Dec 2007, 2:11pm

Thank you, I shall be making enough noise, as under no circumstance is he going to be parted from me.If necessary I would die on the same gallows and suffer the same fate as true love comes but ones in ones lives.Equality is a luxury and something that is meant to make us feel like the rest of the population, for in truth LGBT’s are always handed out an alternative and treated as second-class citizens, all but in name.We have always been fighting under MY rights as a British National and Entitlements by Parliamentary Statutory and EUHRC Acts, so there is NO excuse why we cant or are being not allowed to formulate our partnership legally.

15. Omar, I understand that in a later judgment in June 2006(?) the judge ruled that where the non-settled person is illegal in the UK (this I take to mean “does not have leave to remain”, then the exemption from the Certificate to Remain is not discriminatory.The Home Office has recently announced that it will now not refuse COAs from applicants who have valid leave to enter or remain at the time of the application. This is a change from the requirement that more than six months original leave was required and that three months must still be remaining. The Home Office has said that those applicants who had been previously refused but who now meet the criteria may reapply. I assume from your postings and the problems you have told us about this does not apply to you and your partner.If your partner has outstayed his permitted time then this is where your MP, Sir Peter needs to get off his arse and actually do something rather than just refer your corresponence on to the Home Office.I don’t know how well you know his parliamentary assistants, but it is often better to try to build up a rapport with them over the phone or in person with issues like these. Its much harder to give you the brush off when speaking to you rather and all too easy by letter.Join your local Labour Party as well. It will make a difference to the level of attention you get from your local councillors and MP. sad inditement of the society will live in, but true I’m afraid.

16. Roth’s right; and I’d also ask, how many people on that list are openly bi rather than gay/lesbian? (Unless I’ve missed someone there’s only the one trans person, but while LGB outnumber T, there are more bis than lesbians and gay men put together)

17. Robert, ex-pat Brit 29 Dec 2007, 3:35pm

Omar, I have so much compassion for you and your partner. It is a disgrace that the government is causing you all this suffering. So much for civil partnerships being equal to marriage. Its clear they’re not. You can bet that had you been straight and your future wife was in the situation as your boyfriend, nobody in government would be denying your human and civil right to marry. That’s the disgraceful, digusting part of it all. You’re being discriminated against, no question about it. Is Stonewall aware of all this? Since it was instrumental in pushing civil partnerships through, maybe you can enlist their help for whatever good it might do. Its outrageous that you and your boyfriend have to live like this. Don’t ever give up, fight them all the way, its about time the powers that be learn the real meaning of equality.

18. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Dec 2007, 4:10pm

Omar, having read the Home Office guidance on COAs it does appear that marriages and civil partnerships are treated equally.It also appears that the Home Office has amended its procedures in line with the High Court ruling, pending appeal to the House of Lords.If your partner as overstayed his visa or entered illegally, the old rules still apply, which is in nline with the court ruling. Those rules being as follows:3.3 Under these new procedures if you were a person who had insufficient leave to enter or remain at the time of applying for a COA, we may write to you asking that you submit further information in support of your application to enable us to be satisfied that your proposed marriage or civil partnership is genuine. Any such letter from us will ask for information about:-•when, where and how you and your fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner met•when you decided to marry or enter into a civil partnership•where you intend to live if permitted to marry or to enter into a civil partnership in the UK3•arrangements for any religious ceremony, including the nature of the ceremony, the person conducting it and relevant contact details•arrangements for any reception or celebration, including details of the location, proof of booking and relevant contact•your relationship with your fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner if you are not living together (e.g. letters and photographs as evidence of the relationship)•your life with your fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner if you are living together, including the address(es), how long you have lived together and documentary evidence in the form of correspondence addressed to both of you at the same address from utilities, government bodies, local authorities, financial institutions etc•any children from your and your fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner’s present or previous relationships, including where they now live, the length of time any of them have lived with you, the names of their natural parents and who supports them•contact telephone numbers for yourself and your fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner in case an officer wishes to contact either of you•any additional information about yourself and your fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner which you would like us to know about, and/or any additional supporting evidence or documentation which might help your application.The procedures do seem to be exactly the same for gay and straight people and to the best of my knowledge are the same as those followed by a couple of straight friends I have, who decided to marry just as his visa was expiring.Have you been through this process already and been unsuccessful?

19. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Dec 2007, 4:12pm

Robert, any chance we could establish a few more of the facts before we round up a lynch mob?

20. Robert, ex-pat Brit 29 Dec 2007, 4:32pm

If civil partnerships are equal, then why doesn’t the Home Office permit a gay couple from another country whose native land also confers civil unions/partnerships/pacs whatever they’re called, to enter into one in the UK? A foreign straight couple intending to marry in the UK are not required to ask for permission nor do they have to have a residence here and neither does one of them have to be a British national. Why is that, and why can’t straight British couples who chose not to marry, enter into a civil partnership if they’re so equal? Its obvious they are not or the government hasn’t thoroughly done its homework before it ratified the law enabling same-sex couples to be legally recognised. This is a huge disparity and needs to be addressed.

21. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Dec 2007, 4:40pm

I’ll tell you what Robert, why don’t we just focus on one issue for a while rather than take every opportunity we can get to unload each and every single piece of baggage we have accumulated through our lives.Omar clearly has a problem and maybe if we can establish the facts, there may be people who can offer some help.People shooting off at tangents or spouting off about how unfair the world is to gay people, when in fact its equally unfair to straight people is not going to help anyone, least of all Omar and his boyfriend

22. OMAR KUDDUS 29 Dec 2007, 4:43pm

In Baiai[2007]EWCA Civ 478 the three LORD JUSTICES (one of whom was the Vic-President) of the Court of Appeal told the Government that Certificate of Approvals (CoA) that the HO requests are “illegal” and as such in breach of article 12 of the EUHRC and regardless of the persons immigration “status “ still so as not only did it breach article 12 but also 14 for them (Non British/EU Nationals).It is correct that the HO will now not refuse a CoA and as are “Illegal” documents as per the judgment, any ceremony undertook via one would be invalid or could be challenged by the HO / Government at a later date.The Netherlands is just deporting back a gay asylum seeker back to the UK (who the British HO refused asylum to, as he could not “prove” he was gay despite having had his partner killed in Iran for his sexuality) who in turn will send Mehdi back to Iran and hope all goes well, despite the Iranians Ministers assurance to our British MPs that Iran WILL torture and kill all Iranian LGBT’s.(If you like email me at, Gayasylum@yahoo.co.uk and I shall gladly send you the full details about Mehdi, Iran’s policy on homosexuality and our own fight to get recognised as a couple)I have no intentions of giving up, Robert, for I would honestly be on the same gallows than be without him, and if that is not true love than I don’t know what is.It is disgusting and disgraceful let alone discriminatory of what they (the HO/Government) are doing but like everything its not their lives that are effected, and most major LGBT organisations seem to shy away when faced with a challenge they have not encountered before.

23. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Dec 2007, 5:08pm

Omar, as I understand it the government have appealed the decision of the High Court to the House of Lords and therefore under British Law there is in effect no decision. The matter has been appealed to the higher court and they will decide the lawfulness or unlawfulness of the government’s practices. Frustrating though it is for you, this is how the British legal system works.So have you lodged a Certificate of Approval request?

24. OMAR KUDDUS 29 Dec 2007, 5:17pm

You are correct that there is a hearing pending to the governments appeal in the House of Lords Judiciary Department, but even they have not received the details yet and are unlikely to know a date prior to March 2008.I know all about the requirements for a CoA and what questions the Home Office wants to establish to prove it is not a “sham” marriage.I have already given them all the information they want or can as one cant register an intent to form a Civil Partnership until a CoA is first obtained; which are taking in excess of 70 working days to be issued.I do not have a problem with applying for a CoA as Robbie fits the criteria, but as the THREE LAW LORDS RULED IT AN ILLEGAL DOCUMENT, there lies our problem.Furthermore having obtained several hundred signatures and affidavits confirming our commitment to each other, despite our problems, from both the Gay and Heterosexual community, my objection lies in the fact that we have to prove that it is not a “marriage” of convenience.Its not as if we met yesterday but something I have been fighting the government over for over two years now, when we found out we were not allowed to form a civil partnership.Thus the HO demanding a CoA is Not in line with the court ruling (Baiai [2007] EWCA Civ 478 ) which at present takes president to any other court ruling, which can be found in full on the www or I will gladly send you a copy of.

25. Robert, ex-pat Brit 29 Dec 2007, 5:51pm

Omar, yes it is disgusting, disgraceful and abominable too. If your boyfriend is returned to Iran and something awful happens to him, then our government will be complicit in that act. Like I said earlier, if you’d been straight, you wouldn’t be in this predicament. The hypocrisy and doublestandard of of it all is appalling and there is a parallel with your case and the case of the British teacher who was facing execution in Somalia for allegedly insulting islam by calling a teddy bear Mohammed. She had the government and islamic clerics going to bat for her and eventually won her release. I doubt if you or I would have been so lucky or received any kind of support. We would have been told it was our own fault for being in a country that espouses excecution of gay people, therefore, serves us right. You’re also right, not many gay organisations would want to get involved in a case like yours, unless you’re Peter Tatchell, the only one with enough guts and courage to speak out. They don’t like him because he speaks the truth and as you and I know, the truth always hurts and people prefer to remain in denial and offer meager apologies for the way the system works. In your case, its not working that well. Hang in there Omar, there has to be a way out of this.

26. Robert, ex-pat Brit 29 Dec 2007, 5:55pm

Omar, I wonder how long it takes to obtain a marriage licence for straight couples? Any idea? Do they have to go through the same disgusting bureaucracy and discrimination that you and your partner are facing, all things being equal?

27. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Dec 2007, 5:56pm

Omar, the Home Office website says it has appealed and in that case any decision by the High Court cannot be enforced. I can only speak personally, but I think were I in your position desperately fighting for my partner to stay here I would stop trying to balk the system and start trying to make it work for me.Clearly the Home Office is working on the basis that it has lodged and appeal and that it does not need to heed the views of the Appeal Court (at this point). I would have though in the interests of your partner it would be best if you accept this.There is a mechanism for you and your partner to proceed towards a civil partnership and this is exactly the same route that must be taken by heterosexual couples wishing to marry, so there is no inequality there, although there has been some suggestion that there might be.You have stated that you have lodged and application for a Certificate of Approval and appear to be awaiting a decision. Were I in your situation I would be doing everything possible to ensure that application is dealt with swiftly and smoothly. Again speaking personally I don’t really think that sending letters to 50 MPs misrepresenting the facts, if only even slightly, is really in the best interests of your partner. It is he after all who potentially may get sent back to Iran and put to death.This may well be a matter of principle for you that this country relaxes the checks on people wishing to obtain residence here, but again speaking personally I’m not sure I would be toying with my partner’s life in quite the way you seem to be to achieve that.I don’t particularly wish to cause you offense but I think perhaps because you are so involved in the issue you are not really looking at it in a completely rational way.

28. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Dec 2007, 6:00pm

Robert – read the guidance – it is EXACTLY the same process.Oddly if you read the guidance it also details the procedures for two non-UK nationals without permanent leave to remain in this country to marry OR enter into a civil partnership, which does seem to contradict information you have previously posted.

29. OMAR KUDDUS 29 Dec 2007, 6:29pm

Sister Mary Clarence, I beg to differ. Having taken the government to The House of Lords before, KUDDUS V CHIEF CONSTABLE OF LEICESTERSHIRE CONSTABULARY [2001] UKHL 29, and WON, under British law the decision in the Supreme Court of Judicature, Court of Appeals (Civil Division), stands, until overruled by the House of Lords.One has to also consider that Judgment against the Secretary of State for the Home Department was unanimously given by THREE LAW LORDS (not mere judges), and they and their other seven colleges are again going to be sitting in Judgment ,when and if , the case goes to the House of Lords.Furthermore permission was not granted at the first instance, to the Secretary Of State to appeal to the House of Lords by the Court of Appeals, but was required to be requested and obtained from the House of Lords, Judiciary itself.One also has to consider that the bases of the argument given by the Secretary of state is in direct violation of article 12 and 14 of the EU Human Rights Act, the appeal has to fail, and if it does not, I for one will be taking the matter to the European Court in Strasbourg.For no elected government is going to violate or abuse my Civil. Statutory and Human rights granted to me by Parliament.Everyone has the RIGHT TO MARRY, who they want, regardless of their sexuality, and as stated previously, if they had not allowed my partner into society and live next door, we would not have met or been in this mess and predicament we find ourselves in.

30. Bill Perdue 29 Dec 2007, 7:23pm

Omar, this is the kind of no win situation bigots and bureaucrats are famous for. You can’t marry in England and if the two of you go to a jurisdiction where non nationals are allowed to marry or form civil unions your partner couldn’t return. Have you been in contact with Gays Without Borders to organize a letter writing campaign? That’s worked before to sway ‘the authorities’. They don’t like having their grubby little crimes exposed and the policy that would GLB return people to Iran is murder, plain and simple. Of course the climate of racist islamophobia doesn’t make it any easier. It’s a brutal and inexcusable policy that endangers life – deportation is death. Different western governments have been notorious for it since the 1930’s when many Jews were sent back to certain death in Germany.If you think a letter writing campaign would help then the suggestion of going to Stonewall and Outrage is good. Gays Without Borders and ILGA have had some successes in organizing international letter writing campaigns like the one that aided Pegah Emambakhsh. If you do decide to launch a letter writing campaign to your MP the mention of your story on Doug Irelands DIRELAND could be very helpful. You may have seen some on his articles on Iran in Gay City News.

31. OMAR KUDDUS 29 Dec 2007, 7:39pm

The Home Office website can says what it likes and that it has appealed and in that case any decision by the High Court cannot be enforced. That would be true if their reasoning behind a CoA was anything but to “control immigration” and prevent “sham marriages”.I am speaking personally and being in our position desperately fighting for my partner to stay here I have not been trying to balk the system.For two years plus I have been desperately trying to make the system work for us, saying yes sir, no sir three bags full sir. And where has it got us. NO WHERE, and we are today exactly where we started off from, in the same position. The Home Office clearly is working on the wrong assumption / basis that as it has lodged an appeal, it does not need to heed the views of the Appeal Court (at this point).How can I accept that it would be in my partner’s best interests to accept this, as my partner has no legal status without me, and if he is sent back to Iran how could that benefit either of us?There is a mechanism in place for me and my partner, to proceed towards a civil partnership and I agree that this is exactly the same route that must be taken by heterosexual couples wishing to marry, so there is no inequality there, and I have never suggested there has been Discrimination due to my sexuality.However if you read the laws concerning Civil Partnerships the inequality and breach comes under article 14 of the EUCH as a certain religious group is excluded from requiring a CoA.I have stated that I have lodged and application for a Certificate of Approval and am awaiting a decision, and been doing everything possible to ensure that application is dealt with swiftly and smoothly.But the HOBIA claim the delays of 70 working days are due to the confusion in the law and are awaiting the House of Lords decision, before final processing applications. I don’t really think that sending letters to 50 MPs, who happen to be LGBT’s and thus may be more sympathetic and understanding to our plight, was wrong.I do not also see how I misrepresented the facts (“if only even slightly”), for I stated the truth. A CoA is and has been declared an “illegal” document by three law lords and thus any union formed under one can be challenged, at a later date.It is the best interests of my partner that I have at heart and it is not a matter of principle for us that this country relaxes the checks on people wishing to obtain residence here, but a question that we are genuinely in love and the sincerity of our relationship that is in question.For If I was to have fallen in love with and wanted to form a partnership with a British national, I would not have to prove my love or devotion to each other.I am sure I am not toying with my partner’s life in quite the way you seem to be interpertrating what I am saying or doing. It is NOT only he who potentially may get sent back to Iran and put to death, for I shall be on the same flight and having kissed him three times on Iranian soil (which automatically carries the death sentence) be swinging on the gallows on his side. When I said, that I would be with him by his side, till death do us part, I meant it literally.You have caused us no offence and perhaps because I am so involved in the issue I may not be really looking at it in a completely rational way.But if I don’t look after him and his wellbeing, safety and future, who will?

32. OMAR KUDDUS 29 Dec 2007, 8:25pm

Bill, We Thank you for your words of encouragement and advice.You will find that Doug Ireland, on Direland has mentioned us a few times, as has gayswithoutborders., and on Gay City News.We are also constantly in touch and keep ilga and irqo updated with our situation.We haven’t actually done a “campaign” but it seems like its that time when nothing else seems to work, despite me (and my partner independently) being mentioned on the WWW numerous times.One of my immediate concerns is not about us, but the fate of poor, “Mehdi” who is about to be deported back from the Netherlands to the UK (as he originally applied for Asylum here and was Refused) who are more than likely going to deport him back to Iran, despite its Minister telling British MP’s that Iran WILL TORTURE AND KILL ALL homosexuals, back in may of this year. If you ever need any more information or find something that may help us, it would be greatly appreciated if you could please email it to me at Gayasylum@yahoo.co.uk.

33. Bill Perdue 29 Dec 2007, 9:08pm

Omar, certainly I’ll do what I can. Don’t let them get you down. Best wishes.

34. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Dec 2007, 10:38pm

Omar, I’m afraid you have lost all credibility for me, in that there is a creeping change in your story each time you post.In fact I feel that my time has been wasted, in that I actually took any interest in it. You have reeled us in with a sob story that now seems very far from the reality that we find you to be in.Your partner is here without leave to remain. In many other countries, he would not be here in such circumstances he would already be out. You are going through the appropriate legal channels to allow him to remain by entering into a civil partnership. The government is doing checks to ensure it is a bone fide relationship before allowing the civil partnership to go ahead, rather than a sham application to allow him to stay in the country, when all other avenues have failed.That’s not good enough for you. Just because you say he’s your partner and you’re gay, the Home Office should drop everything and stamp his passport with a visa to remain indefinitely and probably drop you both off at the registry office to boot.Well, Omar, the world ain’t like that. The government is going through the necessary legal channels to overturn the Appeal Court decision. Clearly there is a case for this, or it would not have been permitted, but again it doesn’t suit your purposes so you rubbish it. In the meantime, your application is being processed in the same was as every other gay or straight couple (or pretend couple) in the system. That my friend is equality, and that is exactly what we have been fighting to achieve for years.What separates us from countries like Iran is the fact that we have a legal system that is just and fair. Sometimes it doesn’t suit us and sometimes it doesn’t work in our favour, but I’m afraid we have to take the rough with the smooth.You do of course have the right to marry (if that is the term you wish to use) as you keep demanding, but whether you have the right to marry someone who has no right to be in this country in this country, will depend on the story to have given the Home Office – and I pointedly use the word ‘story’. I can only hope for the sake of your partner that you have been a good deal more open and honest with them than it appears you have been with us. If the Home Office is satisfied that your relationship is genuine you will be permitted to marry – for the record a ‘marriage’ between two people of the same sex is called a civil partnership in this country. I am also somewhat skeptical of your use of the word ‘marriage’, in view of everything that has gone before I suspect is use is purely to garner the support of the marriage over civil partnerships lobby on here.Piecing together the very few threads of this that appear to be true the only issue seems to be that you can’t do exactly what you want with your partner when you want to do it. As I have said before I only hope for the sake of your partner that the story you have given the Home Office is a little more water tight than the yarn you have spun on here.

35. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Dec 2007, 10:42pm

Bill, you are dead to me … and just to remind everyone ….Folks, it might interest you to know who this Bill Perdue guy actually is.He is part of a communist organisation called the “RainbowRed Organisation” supposedly based in Las Vegas, although Bill himself seems to be a bit of a derelict of various “home” locations around the west of the USA:- he is originally from a mining family in Victor, was born in Denver, has lived in many of the western states but for only short periods of time at each location, and last known to live in California.RainbowRed are a VERY small and extremist group (i.e. just Bill himself) who claim to promote what is essentially a gay styled uprising on the lines of the Soviet Red Ocktober.Bill is well known for this excessive extremists views in the US on gay sites and gay blogs, and like here, regularly insults those who do not share a communist view of some preposterous proletarian gay rebellion. And I’m sure its of no surprise to you all, that he is also notorious for using clichés and hyperbole without any facts to back up his grandiose statements. He has also been known to use on more than one occasion false degree and university credentials.He is best known for his offensive letters to gay publications and politicians, which are not dissimilar in content to the styling of the Westboro Baptist Fred Phelps, albeit from the opposite extreme. Please understand, he is not taken seriously by any recognised gay organisations in the US. In fact, as fringe extremist, he has regularly pitches himself against mainstream gay organisations, whom he considers in league with the Republican Party.Bill is a dangerous person, and somewhat unbalanced. Please use and re-post this comment when ever Bill attempts to publish his offensive propaganda so other may know the truth about him.And remember, not all gay Americans are like Bill.Tomas K – The Equality Califor | Homepage | 12.27.07 – 2:33 pm |

36. OMAR KUDDUS 30 Dec 2007, 12:05pm

Surprisingly, I see no “creeping change” in our story. For it is the truth and unlike yourself who hides under a alias we don’t. A search on my name would show that everything I have said is true and been said by me, time and time again.I do not want “ special” treatment” but don’t neither see why I have to prove my relationship is not a “Sham”, for did you have to( for your partner, if you have one) ? I doubt it.In regards to the use of ” marrage”, there is nothing meant other than its easier to type than Civil Partnership each time and even a buffoon knows that gay couples cant get married but form a civil partnership.I don’t care if my partner is here without leave to remain and that in many other countries, he would not be here in such circumstances, he would already be out.That is exactly my point.If you let potential asylum seekers into the country/ society then the government MUST expect that some of us will fall in love with them, regardless of their status at the time. I am sorry you feel that your time has been wasted, in that you actually took any interest in it. I did not reeled you in with a sob story that now seems very far from the reality, because I doubt you understand the concept of life and reality we are having to live on a daily basis. Yes we are going through the alleged appropriate legal channels to allow him to remain by entering into a civil partnership. The government is doing checks to ensure it is a bone fide relationship before allowing the civil partnership to go ahead, rather than a sham application to allow him to stay in the country, when all other avenues have failed.On the bases of a document that was declared illegal, which even by the HO website itself admits. Why not see the link to; gherson.com/articles/court-of-appeal-oncertificates-of-approval-fo..The government may be going through the necessary legal channels to overturn the Appeal Court decision, though there is, clearly no definite case for this, or it would have been permitted and granted at the first instance at the Court of Appeal.In the meantime, our application may be being processed in the same was as every other gay or straight couple (or pretend couple) in the system, and would be equality, if it was not an “illegal” document, or that all LGBTs / heterosexuals who wished to marry/ form a civil partnership had to prove their intent was not a “sham”.Equality is I agree what exactly what we have been fighting to achieve for years, and what separates us from countries like Iran; the fact that we have a legal system that is just and fair. Agreeably sometimes it doesn’t suit us and sometimes it doesn’t work in our favour, but I’m afraid we don’t have to take the rough with the smooth, as I have proved before, in the House of Lords.I do of course have the right to form a Civil Partnership, as I keep demanding, by statutory law. And in regards to whether I have the right to marry someone who has no right to be in this country in this country, does not depend on the “story” given to the Home Office, but because he is entitled to under article 12 and 14 of the EUCH, as proved by Law, and not something that the Sec of State for the Home Office can decide or interfere with. Piecing together the numerous threads that appear by you in the comments section of the Pinknews (as I could find no other mention of you on the www!) the only issue that seems to be true is that you are anti asylum and hate being proved wrong.As I have said before I hope I haven’t offended you, but unlike some, know what I am talking about. We thank you for your concern regarding my partner and have no fear of what has been said to the Home Office, for the Truth does not ever have to be water tight, for by nature it is (when it is not a yarn that I have allegedly have spun on here, for whatever reason you may think).

37. Robert, ex-pat Brit 30 Dec 2007, 2:23pm

Nicely said, Omar.

38. Sister Mary Clarence 30 Dec 2007, 2:36pm

Omar, this is a gay news site. Your issue is not a gay news issue. Whether gay or straight you would be treated in the same way that you are currently being. So the boyfriend/girlfriend aspect of your tale is neither here nor there.Yuor boyfriend has not been given leave to remain for reasons unknown, and I suspect we’d be hard pressed to get a true account of why from you. He has however remained in the country and not been deported, so you and particularly him are LUCKY, many are not so lucky. Do we see any gratitude for this? Dear God! No, it’s quite the opposite in fact.A decision has been given by the High Court on how the government is, and is not, allowed to police its borders. The Court of Appeal has ratified that decision. The government has appealed the decision to the House of Lords. It has been decided that there are grounds for such an appeal (not by you of course). Until the Court of Appeal has made its decision, things won’t be done the way you want them. What you fail to understand is that even if the House of Lords does decide against the government, and the government does not appeal it to Europe, you may still not get things done exactly the way you want it.Meanwhile, your partner is in limbo. Not a nice position to be in, but one faced by tens of thousands of other people, gay and straight. It has however got nothing to do with us and nothing to do with this site, but you have come here trying to make it a ‘gay’ issue. You are well aware that straight people go through exactly the same process but when people have misunderstood your situation and believed that your partner’s situation is as it is BECAUSE he is gay, you have done nothing to correct them, but just let it run on.Similarly, you are I think fully aware of the legal system in this country and how the legislative process works. Most of this has only come out when prompted repeatedly and you have drip fed us more and more information. Its unfair, unjust, inhuman, you shouldn’t have to prove anything, you tell us. The process IS overly long. It is not in the least unreasonable for the government to check the story of those wishing to remain in the country, but it needs to be able to do so quicker. One of the main reasons that this process is so long is that so many resources that should be designated to dealing with genuine refugees are tied up with dealing with social migrants and the sooner we separate the two very different entry requests the sooner we can process genuine refugees at the speed we should be.With regard to marriage/civil partnerships – if you have no right to be in this country, you have no right to marry here. You have not right to do anything here, that is the point. The government has the right to remove any person that does not have valid entry documentation. If you wish to marry someone or enter into a civil partnership with someone here and remain in this country then there are mechanisms to allow this, a process that you and your partner are currently going though, albeit begrudgingly.Over several years I have helped a number of people to have their immigration status confirmed. I live in a part of London that is 80% BME, with large numbers of refugees. I am well aware of the difficult circumstances that they endure until they are given leave to remain, in finding and paying for accommodation, supporting their families, accessing healthcare and finding work. I am aware of the businesses that prey on these people as a source of cheap labour, paying them well below minimum wage. I am aware of the difficulties their children face growing up in a consumer society that they can only view from afar coming from a family with no disposable income whatsoever. I have however never had to help anyone with an attitude like yours.It is beyond me where you think you are going to get with the thinly veiled arrogant attitude that you have. You portray yourself as a helpless victim, but scratch away at the surface a little, and it is plain to see.“but don’t neither see why I have to prove my relationship is not a “Sham””“I don’t care if my partner is here without leave to remain”“Yes we are going through the ALLEGED appropriate legal channels”“I do of course have the right to form a Civil Partnership, as I keep demanding”“we don’t have to take the rough with the smooth”Once your partner’s application to remain in this country was rejected, the government would have been within its rights to ship him off to what ever country he arrived here from. The fact that he is still here and probably still alive is only due to the government not following its own procedures. If I were you, or him, I would feel very grateful for that gift rather than bitching on here about how unfairly this country is treating him.This was a story about the most powerful LGBT people in British politics and you have completely hijacked it in a Bill-esque way.

39. Omar Kuddus 30 Dec 2007, 4:35pm

Sorry to busy trying to save another GAY IRANIAN BEING SENT BACK FROM THE NETHERLANDS TO BE DEPORTED BACK TO IRAN.I DID NOT HIJACK ANYTHING AND DON’T MENTION BEING GAY TO ME, IVE BEEN OUT OF THE CLOSET AND PROUDLY SO, GIVING MY FULL REAL DETAILS TO WHOEVER ASKS.I AM NOT HIDING BEHIND AN ALIAS.IT IS A GAY ISSUE, FOR WHY ISNT IT? FOR WHY DO I HAVE TO PROVE OR MY BOYFRIEND ABOUT OUR RELATIONSHIP.DOES EVERY ONE ELSE?THAT IS EQUALITY.OH, AND PLEASE DON’T PREACH TO ME ABOUT THE BRITISH LEGAL SYSTEM, I HAVE CHANGED IT, AND IF BE WILL DO SO AGAIN.THE LAW (mentioned previously) IF YOU READ IS IN MY NAME.AND NO THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT TAKE THE APPEAL TO STRASBOURG, I DO AND WILL, SO WATCH THIS SPACE REGADING COA’s AND THEIR VALIDITY.My partner is here and alive not for any other reason that it would violate both our EUHRA and my parliamentary statutory laws, if he wasn’t.I am proud that you have helped “Over several years I have helped a number of people to have their immigration status confirmed” for reading your back comments over the past few months I am surprised.And on a final note get your facts right about who can and cannot marry / form a civil partnership in this country.I did send you the link to the ruling.

40. Omar Kuddus 30 Dec 2007, 5:29pm

Robert ex-pat Brit, thank you for your kind words posted. You may be interested in this Plea for “Mehdi’s” safety and non-deportation back to Iran from the UK. “Mehdi” (19 yrs old) has failed in the courts in Netherlands and is due to be returned to the UK, from where he is likely to be deported back to Iran. (http://www.ukgaynews.org.uk/Archive/07/Dec/2401.htm) The long holiday season in the UK means that an injunction may not be made in the High Court in London to prevent deportation until the court has heard an appeal, which, when in front of a real judge, Mehdi would more than certainly win, with light of recent events in Iran and the public disclosure of Iran’s policy on homosexuality to the British government. However the fear and threat is that the UK, HOBIA will take him off a flight from Amsterdam and put him on the next flight to Tehran.If this is happens over the holidays, then there is little chance of a lawyers getting an injunction. How many more young Iranians have to die before the British government takes action? It’s time that the gay community finally open our mouths and show our protests and disgust, and make ourselves heard that such barbaric behaviour is not acceptable. The Iranian Minister Mohsen Yahyavi (who is the highest-ranked politician to admit that Iran believes in the death penalty for homosexuality) told British MP’s at the Inter-Parliamentary Union in May this year, that homosexuals should be executed [he initially said tortured but changed it to executed]. And Iran has again recently kept its word, with the execution of Makvan Mouloodzedeh, despite President Ahmadinejad, questioned by students in New York two months ago about the executions of homosexuals, claimed there were no gays in Iran. Britain regularly challenges Iran about its gay torture, hangings, stonings and executions for perceived moral criminals, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) papers show. Yet it still stands back and does nothing.Other than send failed asylum seekers back in the hope that they do not face a similar fate. Mehdi has had an unbelievably harrowing time since he left Iran to complete his education.While in England he learned that his boyfriend had been arrested and under torture (presumably) revealed Mehdi’s name to the authorities, who issued an arrest warrant for him.Then Mehdi learned that his former boyfriend had been executed for “being gay”, and all of this when Mehdi was at the tender age of 18.Britain refused him Asylum, because he could not “prove” that he was gay, and he escaped to Europe to save his own life.If you are able to, please express your thoughts to the British Embassy in your country, of fax Prime Minister Gordon Brown at 10 Downing Street London, on +44 207 925 0918.Or email me and I shall forward it for you: gayasylum@yahoo.co.uk I for one object, and despite the HOBIA intentions refuse to let Mehdi face a similar fate that all Iranian LGBTS have to date. Torture and Execution based on their sexuality.For it is only by chance and the roll of the dice that we were not born in Iran, that we here in the West are not in their shoes and facing the same persecution, torture, and death for our sexuality.

41. Sister Mary Clarence 31 Dec 2007, 9:43am

“I DID NOT HIJACK ANYTHING” – okay Omar, just run me through how your postings relate to the most powerful gays in Britain today then mate.

42. 1. I am not your mate. 2. I posted it on a comment site that I knew the “The 50 most powerful LGBT people in British politics” would read for their attention.3. Having found no record of you on the www other than on the comments page of every article, pray tell, how come you are a jack of all trades and master of none, as you quite frankly, are anti everything, from every prospect possible.4. Is there anyone in your sad old life that you actually like or approve of (and have not at some time spat venom at)? Or vies versa? For I cant find any!5. And do you actually believe what you say to be true, correct and up to date information.6. I have far more important issues to deal with than bothering with the likes of you7. And finally as you apparently have nothing better to do, see how our story differs from those already posted on several other Gay sites across the world in the next issue of Gay times.8. But then you should know all this already.9. Don’t bother me again. For believe me I bite, far worse than I bark, having taken on governments and state departments and won, so you are no challenge or threat to me.10. The only reason I am even replying is because it is about time someone put you in the place you belong, and knocked you off that self imposed perch that you seem to have put yourself on.

43. Sister Mary Clarence 31 Dec 2007, 2:35pm

“I posted it on a comment site that I knew the “The 50 most powerful LGBT people in British politics” would read for their attention”O KUDDUS | 12.31.07 – 12:04 pm |I DID NOT HIJACK ANYTHING Omar Kuddus | 12.30.07 – 4:35 pm |You did, mate!”For believe me I bite, far worse than I bark” – what’s that supposed to mean?You repeatedly use this site to bang on about something that is close your own heart when more often than not is nothing to do with the news item you are ‘commenting on’. Your partner fled persecution (which was very real I’m sure) and chose to come to this country, no doubt passing over many other countries before doing so, enabling him to capitalize of the shambollick immigration system that we have.He has clearly failed in all attempts to convince the Home Office that he is a genuine refugee (for reasons we are unaware of, and I doubt we can trust you to be impartial and honest about) and now you are attempting to ensure he can remain in the country by entering into a civil partnership with him. We know nothing whatsoever about this individual. He could be an innocent victim of a society that unjustly persecutes him, who should be allowed to come into the country without delay, or his sister could now be running at a Chieftain tank with three pounds of Semtex strapped to her waist and a Kalashnikov rifle in each hand spewing bullets at British troops, and therefore be a threat to our security. Surely it is not unreasonable in the current climate for the Home Office to check one or two details about his story before rubber stamping his continued stay here? Yes, I fully appreciate the wait is worrying and frustrating, but I think if you read the papers, most people do want some kind of border control exercised and the government is continually under fire for failing to do so effectively. The fact that your partner is actually still here is surely a testament to that.I had nothing and against you, and I have nothing against your partner, but your aggressive manner and the bias way in which you present information is really not helping him one bit. Just as I am now very suspicious of everything you have said, there is a chance that others will be as well. If those others are sitting at the Home Office checking your partner’s application then you have created unnecessary problems for him. The issue is that your partner’s story is being closely scrutinised before he is allowed to remain in this country and you don’t like that. Nothing more, nothing less. I would suggest that things might go a little more smoothly if you:-1) The present the facts of case correctly, without embellishment.2) Avoid telling all and sundry that the entire British legal system is shite.3) Stop demanding things and drop all the other aggression.4) Avoid launching into personal attacks on people when you don’t get your own way.Good will would I’m sure work far better for your partner than anything else, but no doubt you don’t believe in good will and would rather just stand there screaming for you rights as you perceive them.Pulling it back to the story in hand, in relation to the 50 most powerful LGBT people in Britain, the list does seem a bit lame to me as well.

44. Sister Mary Clarence 31 Dec 2007, 5:27pm

I wouldn’t knock Alistair Campbell, much though I dislike him,. He did manage to keep Blair in post for far too long. Spencer Livermore does not seem to have been capable enough even to advise Gordon that his one and only chance of election success was at his appointment as PM.I don’t know what Spencer has been doing for the last 10 years he has been advising Mr Brown but clearly it has not been looking at the mass of research and analysis of the ‘market’ that Labour has conducted over the last decade.The way things are going for the Labour Party Spencer will do well to last the two years to the next election, assuming the party doesn’t boot them both out beforehand. I would suggest that Spencer’s New Year resolution is to get a job with better prospects. I understand the Guardian can be very good.

45. Robert, ex-pat Brit 31 Dec 2007, 5:54pm

Omar, I sincerely hope that your perseverance will bear fruit for you and your partner. As frustrating and inconvenient as it is for you and it can’t be easy, I just hope it all works out well for you both. Unlike most others here, I give you the benefit of the doubt. To go through such mental anguish and suffering, having to prove your relationship is bonafide irrespective of your partners current immigration status which apparently applies to straight non-Eu people wishing to marry a British national, maybe the same rules should apply to anyone from within the EU member states who marry or who enter into a civil partnershp with a British national to make it fairer.I find it quite revealing that a British straight couple would not have to prove they’re in a genunine relationship or that they are indeed straight in order to marry and to gain benefits that only come via marriage. I don’t doubt your case is genuine, who in their right mind would want to put themselves through all that anyway? Maybe its going to take a few more public executions of gay men in Iran to prove to our government that being gay in Iran is definitely not ok and in fact could subject someone to imprisonment, torture and at worst, execution just because of who they are. If your boyfriend is not successful and is deported back to Iran to face some unknown fate, then our government and all those who support its asylum stand will be complicit. They basically don’t care Omar because it doesn’t affect them directly, they are indifferent, but let it happen to one of them, let them face the same situation that you and your boyfriend are facing and maybe they’d be singing a different tuneand not be so quick to judgment as they often accuse of me doing when I’m defending the human rights of gay, lesbian and transgendered people everywhere on this planet. Hang in there and know that I and millions of others across the globe support you both. I wish you peace, love and eventual true happiness with the one you love.

46. Sister Mary Clarence 31 Dec 2007, 11:02pm

“I find it quite revealing that a British straight couple would not have to prove they’re in a genunine relationship”. Robert, that’s one of my several points, a straight couple would have to do EXACTLY the same.

47. Robert, ex-pat Brit 1 Jan 2008, 2:00pm

So Sister Mary, you mean to say that a straight British couple has to obtain a Certificate of Approval to be married? Are they also subject to scrutiny, investigation by the powers that be before a marriage license can be issued? I find that rather hard to believe.

48. Sister Mary Clarence 1 Jan 2008, 2:48pm

No Robert, where one party, straight or gay, does not have leave to remain this country a Certificate of Approval is needed. Checks are carried out to ensure the authenticity of a relationship before the certificate is issued.Similarly if you read the guidance you will see that there is provision for an application if neither party has leave to remain in this country, and again it applies to marriage and civil partnership in exactly the same way.

49. Robert, ex-pat Brit 1 Jan 2008, 3:11pm

Sr. Mary, thank you for clarifying that. In Omar’s situation though, I tend to believe his relationship is bonafide. Anyone in their right mind wouldn’t put themselves through all that knowing the rigorous scrutiny, investigation involved. I only hope it works out well for him, his partner and others facing the same dilemma. The thought of one’s partner being returned to some dreadful fate makes me very uneasy and troubled and I hope it doesn’t take more executions of innocent gay men in Iran and elsewhere before the world undestands what is really happening. Its frightening. We should all be deeply concerned and our government has to start paying attention and to stop ignoring the horrors being perpetrated on many straight and gay people in that part of the world.

50. Omar Kuddus 1 Jan 2008, 7:28pm

Robert (ex-pat Brit)Thank you for your support and faith and it is much appreciated as you are correct that no one could ever want to go through the living hell that we have been through.May I also suggest that instead of listening to certain so-called experts (on everything!) you try the link below, to find the actual position and requirement and legitimacy of Certificates Of Approval for yourself.It is my fear and dread that how many more innocent Iranians are to die for their sexuality, before the gay community finally shows its disapproval and makes ourselves heard.I refuse that that my partner ever be a part of that statistic, and again unlike others who hide under alias, if you googol my name, Omar Kuddus gay, (or email me directly on gayasylum@yahoo.co.uk and I shall send you the www links) you shall note that I have tried to bring this to the gay communities attention for some time as it does not only effect us but hundreds in similar situations, who always do not have a partners support behind them. The question for us in the gay community should not be whether we will die, but how we will live and make a difference.May I take this opportunity to wish the whole of the community a Happy New Year and may all your dreams and desires be fulfilled.

51. Robert, ex-pat Brit 1 Jan 2008, 7:38pm

Omar, you are most welcome. My hope and prayer is that you find a successful resolution to your situation so that both you and your partner can enjoy a life of love, happiness and peace together as a legal couple. Thank you for the link. Never give up! May 2008 bring forth good things for you and everyone else.

52. Sister Mary Clarence 1 Jan 2008, 11:11pm

1) “…the Secretary of State can only interfere with the exercise of article 12 rights in cases that involve, or very likely involve, sham marriages entered into with the object of improving the immigration status of one of the parties. To be proportionate, a scheme to achieve that end must either properly investigate individual cases, or at least show that it has come close to isolating cases that very likely fall into the target category.”2) “There may well be good grounds for saying that when a person should not be in this country at all, even on a temporary basis, it would be reasonable and proportionate to prevent him from using the access to article 12 that that physical presence gives him in order to improve his immigration position.”3) “That is not the basis on which the Secretary of State rested his refusal”, and therefore this is where the Home Office fell foul of the Court of Appeal”4) “Given that the court in Baiai said that ‘there might be the possibility of dealing with cases such as that of Mr Baiai under differently formulated legislation’, there is a possibility that the UK government will try to make changes to the UK Borders Bill to make it unlawful for people with no lawful leave to be in the UK to marry in the UK or make other changes to address the decision of the Court of Appeal in Baiai.”5) “While agreeing that the exemption made the scheme discriminatory against those who married other than in an Anglican church, the Court of Appeal held that this was ‘essentially a footnote to the scheme as a whole’, a scheme they found, as a whole, to be unlawful. If the Home Secretary decides to introduce a new regime, it may be that the exemption for marriages in the Anglican Church would not be a part of it.”I take it you have contacted a solicitor with regard to your partner’s situation, because reading the relevant passages of the webpage you have quoted about, it doesn’t really make very positive reading for your partner.Setting aside for a moment the appeal to the House of Lords, the first paragraph makes it very clear that the Home Office has the right to set aside Article 12 Human Rights where they believe a sham marriage/civil partnership to be taking place. So this appears to be your Article 12 argument out of the window.The second paragraph states that there may well be good grounds for preventing people who should not be in the country from marrying. The third paragraph states that Mr Baiai’s appeal was successful as this was not the basis on which the Home Office made its decision. I think this makes my point that if you’re not supposed to be here, you do not have the automatic right to marry/enter into a civil partnership.The fourth paragraph, states that the government can circumvent any issues by including legislation in another bill (UK Borders Bill). In paragraph five, the issue of breach of Article 14 rights is clarified, relating to exemptions that were permitted for those marrying in Anglican church. The obvious and easiest solution would potentially be to remove said exemption from the Certificate of Approval process.Mr Baiai’s appeal was one on a technicality and the Home Office can amend the legislation it is using in no time at all, if the House of Lords uphold the decision of the Court of Appeal. The Court of Appeal have all but told the Home Office what they need to do to correct the issues it sees with the legislation.I know I have pissed you off, but please do not pin any hopes on this court case providing you any sort of gains whatsoever. If the government loses the case, they can plug any openings in the immigration system almost immediately, and I’m sure they will.

53. Bill Perdue 2 Jan 2008, 4:20pm

The disgraceful and frantic tactics of the troy trolls who infest the pinknews site just keep rolling on. After abusive and insulting remarks addressed to Malcolm Tidbury, Shawn of Canada, Zeke, Robertexpat, MarcoMilano , myself and many others now Omar is getting the troll treatment. Pay particular attention to how Sister Mary Clarence, aka Mother Superior raises false charges against asylum seekers, parroting the racist Conservative Party line that Middle Easterners are a ‘threat’ to English soldiers. Mother Superior wants to divert attention from the fact it’s only because of the presence of English soldiers in Iraq that they’re getting shot and killed by Iraqi patriots. When they withdraw the killing will stop. They’re infuriated with Omar because he ‘dares’, in spite of the threats of Mother Superior, to join the vast majority of honest gay activists who demand samesex marriage. The only ones who oppose it are the pathetic few ‘homosexual’ Conservatives and Republicans who want to fit in so badly they’d betray the rest of us. They’re particularly angry with him because he dares to fight back against the bureaucratic homophobia and islamophobia of the Home Office. Omar’s legal interventions have been very effective in exposing the antigay and racially motivated maneuvers of various agencies. He managed to get the courts to strip away their ability to hide the facts. Most of us wish him and his partner the best of luck but these tory trolls seem intent on supporting the laws that would deport Iranian gay folk to their deaths. They can deny it all they want but the fact is that gay and lesbians sent back will be murdered by the Ayatollahs government.Mother Superior argues for the islamophobic and antigay exclusionary rules of the Home Office. So do other Conservatives like Ron Paul, Luke and the islamophobes at the Policy Exchange? The Policy Exchange along with the BNP is responsible for emboldening the skinhead thugs who murder and beat non-Europeans according to Seumas Milne at the Guardian. You can read all about it at What are these Conservative homosexuals up to? The tory trolls want a base to organize gay support for themselves in the next general elections. Obviously they’ll never get it from honest GLBT groups because of their history of gay bashing, i.e., Section 28. Zeke pointed out that Sister Mary Clarence, aka Mother Superior began posting just as a campaign of Conservative Party ads ran in pinknews . He and others have pointed out that when Sister Mary Clarence runs out of supporters he just posts under new names, like steve, William or Wsilliam, and now Tomas. (More below about the mysterious and now frightened Tomas.) Anyone who supports samesex marriage, opposes police misconduct, defends asylum seekers, opposes racist islamophobia or complains about the gays bashers in the Conservative Party gets the ‘treatment’. The good news is that these troy trolls are self isolating. They’ve been exposed time and time again as handpuppets of the Conservative bigots at the Policy Exchange, who are tutored in misinformation tactics by the US Republicans. None of us are going to give up on the fight for equality; We’ll continue to support samesex marriage, complain about police abuse, condemn harassment in schools and violence when it occurs. And we’ll continue to do what we can to protect our brothers and sisters in places where they lives are endangered by bigots and those who arm and train them. In the meantime don’t worry about the tory trolls. These self loathing types who want more than anything to bury themselves in cozy little closets. Be patient. For anyone who wants to get in touch with the real Equality California you can send them a message or a question at or write them at:California Equality, Capitol Office: 1127 11th St. Suite 208Sacramento, CA 95814or call them at 916.554.7681or fax then at 916.442.4616 And be sure to include a contribution if you can. Like all honest GLBT groups they’re for samesex marriage, oppose racism and don’t get along with the Republicans or their Conservative lapdogs. Oh and don’t forget to ask if Tomas K. is real.

54. OMAR KUDDUS 2 Jan 2008, 7:24pm

Bill, like Robert, ex-pat Brit I just emailed and faxed Equality California as well as to find out who Tomas is. When I receive a response, I will post it here for all to read and perhaps put some of the mud slinging to rest, and the truth shall finally emerge as to where the bull is coming from.I promise that I will keep on pasting the response to whoever it relates to whenever I find any comment made by them.

55. the main positive thing about this list isn’t that it cantains so-and-so, or so many women, tories, socialists, etc. The good thing is that the “great and good” are starting to come out of the closets. This will make it a bit less likely that we will have a rabid rollback of our rights, and may even ensure that a change of govt will not mean that there is (much of) a slowdown in advances.