Royal “blackmail plot” man refused bail

1. Robert, ex-pat Brit 4 Nov 2007, 1:29pm

If the royal involved in this latest socalled sex scandal is known in the U.S., Australia and elsewhere but not in the UK, I’ve yet to find out who it is. Does anyone know, maybe you do, Bill? If you do, you can email me at robertocucina@earthlink.net.I still can’t figure out why all the secrecy. Is it so bad that in this day and age someone has to be ashamed of who they are? I thought that sort of thing died out after decriminalisation, obviously it hasn’t. I guess equality has a long way to go yet.

2. It is very common for blackmail victims gay or straight (royal or otherwise) NOT to be identified.So in actual fact it IS equality. Please do not turn everything on its head Robert.

3. Robert, ex-pat Brit 5 Nov 2007, 12:30am

Steve, I don’t turn everything on its head, and I now know who the royal or lesser lesser royal is, something I’d suspected all along, among others. As for EQUALTY? Hmmmmmmmmmm, NOT!

4. Sister Mary Clarence 5 Nov 2007, 9:11am

Turn things on their head? Me sir? No sir? How very dare you!!!The identity of many blackmail victims does remain anonymous at least until the case is heard in court.It looks to the casual bystander(s) that you have made a connection between ‘gay’ and ‘ashamed’.Did the French police close off the Pont d’Alma tunnel in Paris on the night that Diana died because she was having an affair with a Muslin? I suspect not. I suspect it was standard police procedure.I suspect this is too.We (at least in the UK) are living in increaingly liberated times and we need to break free of the victim mentality that some of us have developed. I appreciate that for you living in the US, where things have not progressed so well, it probably touches your daily life less than ours, but if we don’t see ourselves as equal, I doubt other people will either.

5. Robert, ex-pat Brit 5 Nov 2007, 12:50pm

Oh Sister Clarence aka Steve, you have two identities, one female one male. How silly of me. I don’t bury my head in the sand pretending that all is well on equality. You gladly accept second class citizenship, I don’t, but then our (UK) society has a monopoly on class structure anyway. This is just yet another tier that has been added.

6. Sister Mary Clarence 5 Nov 2007, 1:20pm

No, you don’t accept second class citizenship Robert that’s why you moved across the Atlantic to the land of the free, but oh dear, it isn’t land of the free is it? And it isn’t because so many of the people over there who are articulate and intelligent enough to argue for something better are too busy telling us how wrong we’ve got it over here to actually be fighting for a better life over there.Clearly you didn’t like living here and you exercised your right to move away. I don’t think anyone has got a problem with that. In fact I’d have happily paid for your cab to the airport. There is nothing wrong with people from outside the UK commenting on stories relating to the UK. I don’t think anyone has a problem with that either. However, time and time again to manipulate and twist stories to your own end. Nothing is ever positive, nothing is ever good. You stick the knife in and twist and twist.You say that you don’t bury your head in the sand pretending that all is well on equality. Clearly it is not where you live mate, BUT things are getting better here and your constant bitterness and snipping will not diminish that.The identity of the royal ‘victim’ has not been published in the press in this country in keeping with normal protocol for blackmail cases. Personally speaking, were I the subject of a blackmail attempt I wouldn’t want it plastered all over the press either, although I’m sure you’ll find a way to work that into some sort of negative as well.

7. Steve (2) 5 Nov 2007, 1:42pm

I agree with SMJ entirely. as with the religious nutters I know the best thing to do is just ignore Robert but with the rubbish he comes out with it is hard to ignore.Putting the royal to one side for a minute, the issue is really that someone was being blackmailed. The person concerned was not to the best of my knowledge anti-gay or in any way working to the detriment of the gay community, so I don’t think we should be slagging him off just for being a victim.And robert if everyone that has a go at you is just another facet of SMC’s persona pinknews would hardly be worthy of the title of Europe’s largest gay news site. Your views are disliked and disagreed with by many.

8. Robert, ex-pat Brit 5 Nov 2007, 5:18pm

Sister Mary, Stever, whatever your gender is, tsk tsk!! My you can’t handle the truth, you get so bent out of shape and can’t take any criticism whatsoever. Its either your way or the highway! You’re rude, arrogant, ill-mannered, smug and assume an air of moral superiority based on your gains in equality. You don’t want anyone differing from your opinions. I don’t find you that tolerant of anyone else’s except if its not in lockstep with the tory platform. From now on, I’ll ignore you and your asinine comments. You do nothing more than alienate people with your arrogance as if you were the spokesperson for Pink News.

9. Sister Mary Clarence 5 Nov 2007, 6:07pm

Robert, I can certainly handle the truth mate, but I can’t recognise much of it in anything you post.Don’t particularly want to get into an argument with you about every story on her, but stop posting such rubbish and I won’t. Maybe get on a plane and come over the Britain and find out about equality, something is obviously getting lost as it travels all those miles across the Atlantic to you.In this country the anonymity of blackmail victims is often maintained. If you lived here you might know that. You don’t live here and you don’t know that AND YET you have no hesitation in criticising the victim for being ashamed.I’m ashamed mate – of you.

10. And I would add that I can’t figure out whether Robert’s post are as a result of stupidity or wilful ignorance. Like SMC, I deal in the facts, the reality, the nuts and bolts of things as they actually are. It seems odd to me that people cannot appreciate the important principle that revealing victims’ identities simply does not help with bringing their tormentors to justice. Why is that? Well, I’m sure most of us are intelligent to figure that out for ourselves!

11. Robert, ex-pat Brit 5 Nov 2007, 6:34pm

Oh, I’ll be over for Christmas with my family. If the socalled royal wasn’t ashamed, how is it he never came out, at least in the past two years since the equality laws were enacted? Had he done so, there would probably have been no cause for blackmail. Its obvious to me, there is some shame that goes with hiding your sexual orientation in light of the current climate.

12. Sister Mary Clarence 5 Nov 2007, 7:05pm

Possibly because the story is untrue Robert.

13. Robert, ex-pat Brit 5 Nov 2007, 8:01pm

David, ok, I’ll concede I’m stupid and wilfully ignorant, whatever, if that makes you happy. In regard to sexual orientation, when people, especially celebrities choose to remain in the closet, they leave themselves open to blackmail. If this individual had come out, he wouldn’t be in the position he is in today, the victim. Since there are laws in place to protect you from such things based on sexual orientation, this man could have avoided all this. He chose not to. Simple as that. If he’s not out, then why? What is it he’s so afraid of if he has nothing to hide?

14. Sister Mary Clarence 5 Nov 2007, 9:50pm

Well, might be stating the obvious, but he could always not be out because he is in fact straight.

15. Father and son? It sounds as if the scandal is beginning to snow ball. Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.All the best.

16. Bill Perdue 5 Nov 2007, 11:41pm

Closeted Royals and Conservatives politicians protected by undemocratic press restrictions. Oh my.We have an identical situation in the US, except the question is war not sex, and the voluntary censorship by the corporate media is total. But the disservice to democratic debate and discussion is the same. In the US closeted conservative politicians and holier-than-thou gaybashing religious thugs get caught at the rate of once a week. Here they can expect ridicule and contempt from GLBT folk and to get pilloried by totalitarian christians and other politicians. It’s the price they pay for greed and internalized homophobia.

17. Sister Mary Clarence 6 Nov 2007, 12:10am

Sorry, the relevance of any of that to the victim of a blackmail attempt being identified is absolutely what? The royal in question has never in any way acted against the gay community, we have no evidence other than allegations on a video tape that none of us have seen, and that potentially does not exist.I appreciate by the standards of justice embodied in your country’s foreign policy that would be enough to ship him off to Guantanamo Bay without trial to be tortured until his dying day, but I think the sane and rational amongst us might want to wait until there is some certainty about events before condemning him to torture and death. Call us old fashioned if you will.