25 April 2007Edward Heath warned to stop cruising 3 A gay member of the London Assembly has claimed that former British Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath was warned to stop having sex with men in public.Brian Coleman, a Conservative, claims that Sir Edward was warned by police to stop cruising for sex as part of a vetting process in 1955.That year he became a Privy Councillor and Chief Whip under Prime Minister Anthony Eden.
25 April 2007Church of Scotland “sinfully” intolerant of gays 3 A report by prominent members of the Church of Scotland concludes that it is institutionally homophobic and they must embrace lesbian and gay Christians.The Presbyterians are the largest Protestant denomination in Scotland, with 520,000 members.The report into same-sex partnerships from the working group of the Mission and Discipleship Council will be presented to the General Assembly next month.
25 April 2007Gay beauty salon opens in Kathmandu + For people visiting Nepal, finding and supporting gay-owned businesses can be a bit of a challenge.That may soon change, however, if more businesses follow in the groundbreaking footsteps of The Cutey Beauty Salon, which recently opened in Kathmandu's Lazimpat area.According to a report from the Indo-Asian News Service (IANS), the salon is run by gay and transgender people.
25 April 2007Work protection act comes before Congress + The United States House of Representatives is to consider new legislation that would make it illegal to fire, refuse to hire or promote a person based on sexual orientation or gender identity.This is the first time since 1994 that legislation that protects LGB people at work has been brought to the House, and for the first time trans people are to be protected as well.The Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2007 (ENDA) was introduced by the two openly gay members of Congress.
25 April 2007Stars get ready to walk against homophobia + Gay and lesbian stars are to join hundreds of others on a gay walk in Brighton to help kids who face homophobia at school.The 4th Annual Equality walk is a demonstration of solidarity against homophobic crime, a nice day out, a good bit of exercise and an opportunity to do a bit of star-spotting.The event, organised by Stonewall, will take place on Sunday 6th May, which is the Bank Holiday weekend.
25 April 2007Prom king nomination a victory for trans people + Seventeen-year-old Cinthia Covarrubias has made history.The transmale student from California's Fresno High School ran against six other students for the title of prom king on Saturday April 21, making it the first time any openly transgendered student in America has done so.Though he lost to student Dan Abril, the fact that Covarrubias ran at all is seen as a major event.
25 April 2007Cashman: Poland reminds me of Thatcher era 3 Michael Cashman, one of only two out gay members of the European Parliament, has said that pressure from other countries can help gay and lesbians in Poland.He compared the actions of the current Polish government to those of the Conservative administration of Margaret Thatcher.Mr Cashman, who represents the West Midlands, heads the European Parliament's inter-party group on gay and lesbian rights
25 April 2007Info leaflet about HIV treatment charges launched + Two of the UK's most respected charities have co-operated on a new information leaflet about the charges a small group of people now have to pay for HIV treatments.The National AIDS Trust and the Terrence Higgins Trust have jointly produced the leaflet giving advice to people who are concerned that they may be charged for accessing NHS sexual health and HIV services.
25 April 2007Early gay activism discovered in National Archives 2 A dusty scroll of parchment which contains the writings of an 18th century proponent of gay rights has been unearthed.Thomas Cannon's 1749 book, Ancient And Modern Pederasty Investigated And Exemplified was suppressed, all copies were destroyed and the printer fled the country.The work contained a defence of gay desire and translations of homosexual Greek and Roman writings.
25 April 2007George adds Brent magistrates court to his tour + Pop icon George Michael will be in court facing charges of being unfit to drive the day before he is due to play the first concert at the new Wembley stadium.He will also now face an additional charge of being in charge of a vehicle while unfit through drugs.His appearance at Brent Magistrates Court follows an incident last October when he was found by police in his car in Cricklewood.
25 April 2007Politicians coming out is still important, say Stonewall 3 In the media storm surrounding his revelation that former Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath was warned off cruising for sex, the thrust of Brian Coleman's article for the New Statesman has been sidelined.Mr Coleman, the Chairman of the London Assembly, who is a Conservative, said that MPs and other prominent figures coming out and being forthright about their sexual orientation was not necessary.
Articles from 25 April 2007
- Humanist weddings amendment withdrawn from equal marriage bill4
- Russia: LGBT rights group fined 500,000 rubles under ‘foreign agent’ law1
- Amendments urging for civil registrars to opt out of equal marriage ceremonies withdrawn from bill4
- Gay fashioner designer Stefano Gabbana sentenced for tax evasion12
- US: Third Republican Senator comes out in favour of equal marriage2
- South Africa: Gay imam spreads message of empowerment when it comes to homosexuality and Islam7
- South Australia officially congratulates New Zealand on equal marriage, ahead of introduction of its own bill1
- Watch LIVE: House of Lords debates same-sex marriage amendments+
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans: ‘I continue to refute all allegations’+
- Maltese Prime Minister: A civil unions bill is to be introduced by the end of this year2
- Liberace's ex-lover claims he had six year relationship with Michael Jackson18
- Live blog: Highlights from the House of Lords committee on same-sex marriage22
- Brazil: Lawmakers approve bill which would remove ban on 'gay cure' therapy 25
- Tory MP John Glen criticises Bishop of Salisbury for voicing support for equal marriage28
- Michelle Shocked to return to San Francisco during Pride Week, to clarify her feelings following anti-gay rant17
- Gay dating website for 'homosensible' Catholic priests being run out of the Vatican19
- Poland: Prime Minister backs down and admits opposition to civil unions is too strong26
- Gay 'cure' therapy NHS ban motion gains cross-party support4
- US: Attorney representing lesbian teenager charged for relationship with younger girl asks judge to step down12
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans re-arrested on new indecent assault allegations—
- New 'Gay Marriage No Thanks' group launches with 'ten good reasons' to oppose equal marriage86
- Barry Cryer brands ITV's Vicious 'homophobic' television85
- Lord Tebbit: I wouldn't have been surprised if Jimmy Savile was homosexual84
- Archbishop of York: Would the Church of England rather bless 'sheep and trees' than gay couples?84
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'69
- Lib Dems' Baroness Williams to support anti-equal marriage 'union' amendment69
- Maria Miller tables Public Order Act amendment protecting critics of equal marriage67
- Labour MSP Elaine Smith: 'I'm against equal marriage but don't call me homophobic'64
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill62
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill62
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage