7 February 2007Catholic schools comment on gay bullying 4 The head of the Catholic Education Service has denied that educational institutions run by the church do not tackle homophobic bullying.Oona Stannard, chief executive of the service, was responding to criticism from one of the UK's major teaching unions.Ministers have urged all schools to develop a policy on homophobic bullying.
7 February 2007Gay marriage banned again by Australian government 4 The attorney-general of Australia has confirmed that the federal government will block plans by one of the country's territories to legalise same-sex civil partnerships.Philip Ruddock said that the traditional marriage ceremony would be threatened by granting marital rights to gay people, an argument used repeatedly by Liberal party politicians.He also said that the Australian Capital Territory law would be a threat to minors.
7 February 2007Man denied asylum for not having teenage sex 2 A refugee from Nicaragua has been denied asylum in Canada because he could not prove he is gay.The Immigration and Refugee Board said that as Alvaro Antonio Orozco was not sexually active as a teenager, it was impossible to verify his sexuality.Mr Oroxco's lawyer accused the IRB of stereotyping gay teenagers as more sexually active than their heterosexual counterparts.
7 February 2007Be confident to avoid attacks, advises charity 1 The Suzy Lamplugh Trust, a leading authority on personal safety issues, has said that LGBT people should develop techniques that help them to appear more confident and assertive in public.The trust says that confidence is a key weapon in avoiding hate crimes."Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people often rely upon 'being invisible' to remain safe," says the trust's chief executive Julie Bentley.
7 February 2007Scots Cardinal attacks “hedonistic society” 1 The leader of Scotland's Roman Catholics has attacked modern Britain for allowing gay and lesbian couples the right to adopt children.Cardinal Keith O'Brien said that equal rights were a sign of a "deeply hedonistic society" and complained that morals were being trumped by freedom of choice and lifestyle.The church in Scotland has been vocal in its opposition to gay adoption.
7 February 2007British basketball star comes out + For the first time, a professional basketball player is to announce that he is gay.British-born John Amaechi, who retired from the NBA league three years ago, will reveal his sexuality in an ESPN TV show later this month, reports the San Francisco Chronicle.
7 February 2007Mandela’s prison island to host gay marriage 1 This year's St Valentine's Day mass marriage ceremony on Cape Town's historic Robben Island will be the first in the event's history to accommodate a same-sex couple.Since the initiative's inauguration in 2000, the Robben Island Museum has played cupid to over 120 couples wishing to tie the knot on Valentine's Day.Marriage officers will wed a same-sex couple for the first time this year.
7 February 2007£17,000 payout in discrimination case + A gay man who was suspended for complaining about anti-gay graffiti has been awarded over £17,000 compensation by an employment tribunal.Chris Martin won his case against Parkam Foods last September.
7 February 2007Disgraced preacher “discovers” he is straight 1 Ted Haggard, the former pastor of an evangelical super church who was forced to resign after revelations of a three-year affair with a male prostitute, has said he was "acting out" and is still a heterosexual.The revelation came in an interview in the Denver Post with one of the four pastors who have been giving Haggard an intensive course of counselling.
7 February 2007Gay activist push “no kids no marriage” law 1 Same-sex marriage advocates in the American state of Washington are proposing a state ballot measure that would limit marriage to couples who prove they can bear children within three years.Proponents say the proposal was aimed at "social conservatives who have long screamed that marriage exists for the sole purpose of procreation."The Washington Defence of Marriage Alliance acknowledged on its website that the initiative was "absurd."
7 February 2007Joan Rivers offers to clean your house for charity 1 Terrence Higgins Trust is offering a series of 'money can't buy' experiences for auction at their star-studded fundraising event next month.The Lighthouse Gala Auction, which is supported by Barclays, is your chance to spend an evening at Christie's with THT's top celebrity supporters and bid for some exclusive lots.The auction will be held on the 12th of March.
Articles from 07 February 2007
- Russia: LGBT rights group fined 500,000 rubles under ‘foreign agent’ law+
- Amendments urging for civil registrars to opt out of equal marriage ceremonies withdrawn from bill2
- Gay fashioner designer Stefano Gabbana sentenced for tax evasion10
- US: Third Republican Senator comes out in favour of equal marriage1
- South Africa: Gay imam spreads message of empowerment when it comes to homosexuality and Islam4
- South Australia officially congratulates New Zealand on equal marriage, ahead of introduction of its own bill+
- Watch LIVE: House of Lords debates same-sex marriage amendments+
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans: ‘I continue to refute all allegations’+
- Maltese Prime Minister: A civil unions bill is to be introduced by the end of this year1
- More congregations leave Church of Scotland in row about ministers in same-sex relationships6
- Liberace's ex-lover claims he had six year relationship with Michael Jackson17
- Brazil: Lawmakers approve bill which would remove ban on 'gay cure' therapy 22
- Live blog: Highlights from the House of Lords committee on same-sex marriage22
- Tory MP John Glen criticises Bishop of Salisbury for voicing support for equal marriage25
- Michelle Shocked to return to San Francisco during Pride Week, to clarify her feelings following anti-gay rant17
- Gay dating website for 'homosensible' Catholic priests being run out of the Vatican19
- Poland: Prime Minister backs down and admits opposition to civil unions is too strong25
- Gay 'cure' therapy NHS ban motion gains cross-party support4
- US: Attorney representing lesbian teenager charged for relationship with younger girl asks judge to step down13
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans re-arrested on new indecent assault allegations—
- New 'Gay Marriage No Thanks' group launches with 'ten good reasons' to oppose equal marriage86
- Lord Tebbit: I wouldn't have been surprised if Jimmy Savile was homosexual84
- Archbishop of York: Would the Church of England rather bless 'sheep and trees' than gay couples?84
- Barry Cryer brands ITV's Vicious 'homophobic' television83
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'69
- Lib Dems' Baroness Williams to support anti-equal marriage 'union' amendment69
- Maria Miller tables Public Order Act amendment protecting critics of equal marriage66
- Labour MSP Elaine Smith: 'I'm against equal marriage but don't call me homophobic'64
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill62
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill62
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage