2 January 2007Anti-discrimination rules come into force in N Ireland 1 New regulations that outlaw discrimination in the provision of goods and services on the grounds of sexual orientation came into force in Northern Ireland yesterday.The province is the first part of the UK to introduce new protections for the LGBT community.The measures were controversial, with churches on both sides of the religious divide arguing that the regulations will discriminate against people with religious views.
2 January 2007George Michael charged by police 2 Troubled pop icon George Michael has been formally charged following an incident last year when he was found by police in his car in Cricklewood, north London, allegedly passed out.Members of the public had called the police in the early hours of October 1st to deal with a Mercedes Benz S-Class car which was obstructing traffic lights.Michael was found at the wheel semi-conscious, taken to hospital and then arrested for suspected possession of drugs.
2 January 2007Christians ask the Queen to block gay protection 6 A group of Christian lawyers is to petition the Queen over new regulations that will outlaw discrimination against gay and lesbian people.The Christian Concern for Our Nation is affiliated with The Lawyers' Christian Fellowship, who claim to have over 2,000 members.The Queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England as well as Head of State.
2 January 2007At least 50 gay and lesbian priests are in civil partnerships 57 2007 looks set to be another turbulent year in the Anglican church, with reports that more than 50 gay and lesbian priests have entered into civil partnerships since December 2005 likely to re-ignite debate over homosexuality.The General Synod of the Church of England will hold the first of its twice-yearly meetings in February.
2 January 2007Gay sheep experiments outrage campaigners 2 Scientists and gay rights activists have criticised experiments being conducted in the US that aim to turn gay sheep straight.Oregon State University is conducting research into the hormonal balance in the brains of rams who are attracted to other rams.The scientists claim their research is aimed only at reducing or eliminating gay sheep.
2 January 2007Belgian “Bad Girls” tie the knot + Two female prisoners in Flanders have made history by becoming the first lesbian couple to get married while imprisoned.Linda Couvreur, 44, a mother of three, who was convicted of murdering her husband in 2003, and Theresa 'Terry' Van Heyst, 43, a convicted arsonist, were married on the 29th of December in Bruges prison.The newly weds met last April in prison and fell in love.
2 January 2007RAF sign up with Stonewall + The Royal Air Force has become the second of the Armed Forces to join the Stonewall Diversity Programme.The Royal Navy is already a member of the scheme, which is designed to help organisations and businesses recruit and retain LGBT staff and promote equality in the workplace.Stonewall chief executive Ben Summerskill described the decision as"courageous."
2 January 2007Minister will consider national system for reporting homophobes 3 Minister for Police and Security Tony McNulty has pledged support for a more effective system for the gay community to report hate crime.Last month, an investigation by PinkNews.co.uk discovered that access to a dedicated LGBT liaison officer is often impeded by a lack of awareness on the switchboard or by officers being unavailable at the desired time.
2 January 2007Gay activists fear for Sexual Orientation Regulations 3 A leading gay rights group has expressed concern at the tactics being used by Christian groups opposing the introduction of new rules to protect LGBT people from discrimination.The Sexual Orientation Regulations, which outlaw discrmination in the provision of goods and services on the grounds of sexuality, are due to be implemented across England and Wales in April.
2 January 2007Bright new dawn for Romanian and Bulgarian gays + Yesterday two more former Eastern Bloc countries joined the European Union.
2 January 2007A chance to catch up with This Life’s gay icon + Tonight, BBC2 will be showing a programme that many viewers have been waiting a decade for.Cult hit drama This Life featured what many consider to be the one of the most influential gay characters in the history of television.Writer Amy Jenkins has returned to the lives of Egg, Milly, Anna, Miles and most importantly Warren, ten years after the series began.
2 January 2007Russian New Years Eve nets George Michael £1.5m + Pop icon George Michael has rounded off a triumphant European tour with a performance at a private function in Moscow on Sunday night, and came away £1.5m richer.The singer, who has had a turbulent 2006, saw in the New Year in the company of 300 guests of an un-named Russian billionaire, peforming an hour-long concert at the oligarch's mansion near Moscow.Michael's huge pay packet outstrips the £1m that American diva Christina Aguilera allegedly received for performing at the wedding of another rich Russian in September 2005.
2 January 2007Steps star comes out before entering Celeb Big Brother 2 Ian Watkins, a former member of Steps, has revealed that he is gay.
3 January 2007US general says “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy should go 5 An Army general who was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the US military has called for a change in attitude towards gay and lesbian soldiers.John Shalikashvili was chairman from 1993 - 1997, and it was during his tenure that the controversial policy of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was introduced.At the time he argued that had argued that openly gay and lesbian personnel would hurt troop morale and undermine the cohesion of combat units.
3 January 2007Tatchell calls for Equal Rights Act 1 Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell has called on the government to harmonise all discrimination and equality laws into one piece of equal rights legislation.Criticising the "differential levels of protection against discrimination available to different minority groups," Mr Tatchell wants to see the unification of all equal rights legislation in a single Equal Rights Act, based on the current race equality laws.
3 January 2007Canadian boy has two mommies – and a dad + A ruling by a court in Ontario has for the first time given the full legal status of parent to three people.
3 January 2007Who’s Who embraces gay partners + It is the reference guide to the great and the good of British society.
3 January 2007Government “open to discussion” on homophobic incitement 1 PinkNews.co.uk Exclusive A Home Office minister has vowed to review homophobic incitement laws amid calls for anti-gay remarks to be made illegal.Speaking exclusively to PinkNews.co.uk, Police and Security Minister Tony McNulty said that the issue is under review and vowed that once religious and racial incitement laws are implemented it will then be easier to see how to follow up with a law against homophobic harassment.
3 January 2007Czechs flock to register partnerships 1 Gay rights activists in the Czech Republic have spoken of their delight at the number of gay and lesbian couples that have registered their partnerships.The central European state, which joined the EU three years ago, became the first former Soviet Bloc country to allow gay unions.Since the new laws were adopted in July last year, over 200 gay unions have been registered.
3 January 2007Former US Defence Secretary queries “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” 5 A Republican politician who was in charge of the US Armed Forces for four years has backed calls by a retired chairman of the Joint Chiefs to re-open the debate over the controversial "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy.William Cohen served as Defence Secretary from 1997 - 2001 under Democrat President Bill Clinton.In an interview last night on CNN, Cohen described the current policy as discriminatory and not reflective of current American public opinion.
Articles from January 2007
- Church of England to ask gay clergy about their sex life as part of bishop selection process2
- San Francisco: Gay blogger sentenced for taking toilet photo of gay supervisor Scott Wiener1
- Pro-equal marriage rally to take place on Monday ahead of House of Lords committee stage3
- London: One week until UK’s second Dyke March1
- Northern Ireland elects first openly gay mayor3
- US: Anti-gay congressman accidentally takes wrong door and attends pro-LGBT event4
- Milton Keynes: Woman victim of homophobic assault has her face dragged against a wall+
- Equal marriage bill amendment calls for decision to be made in 2015 referendum37
- Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Blue to headline Pride Bristol+
- In meeting with Archbishop of Canterbury, the Pope does not specify marriage as between man and woman5
- US: GOP Senator says he thinks businesses should be able to sack people for being gay32
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages' 66
- Gay police officer leaves Savile inquiry job in order to take part in Big Brother 7
- Equal marriage bill amendment calls for decision to be made in 2015 referendum 37
- Australia: Radio host sacked for asking Prime Minister Julia Gillard if her partner is gay47
- French Olympic swimmers pose as 'imaginary gay couple' for anti-homophobia campaign12
- Video: Married binational gay couple kept apart by DOMA urges US Supreme Court strike-down22
- Scottish trans woman 'forced' to leave town after she was branded a 'witch'24
- Lord Carey tables amendment to undermine equal marriage bill by calling for 'two tiered' marriage25
- Chris Brown starts equality campaign and vows to stand up for gay rights13
- Daily Mail's Andrew Pierce: I'm called a 'homophobe' and 'Uncle Tom' for opposing equal marriage102
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'66
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill61
- Baroness Knight: The gays are still good at antiques and Section 28 was right60
- Lord Dear proposes new amendment to equal marriage bill concerning 'traditional marriage'60
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill58
- French mayor: 'I will go to the gallows' before performing a same-sex wedding52
- Labour's Clause 20 sex education amendment fails in the Commons50
- Pope Francis: There is a 'gay lobby' at the heart of the Vatican 'it exists'49
- Australia: Radio host sacked for asking Prime Minister Julia Gillard if her partner is gay47
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage