31 October 2006Spanish students to learn gay respect + Primary and secondary school student in Spain are to be given lessons on homophobic behaviour and gay families amid increased attacks and discrimination against the LGBT community.It comes a year after Spain implemented gay marriage laws, and now the Education Ministry wants to teach pupils that discrimination based on sexual orientation is wrong.
31 October 2006Banker caught in gay web murder + Police in Toronto, Canada have arrested a former investment banker and charged him with first-degree murder and the disappearance of a man he met on a gay website.After eluding police, David Kenton Reid, 46, was arrested by Ontario Provincial Police officers at a cottage last weekend, not far from where he crashed his car and fled on foot one week earlier.
31 October 2006Israeli Rabbis cannot promise gay pride peace 23 Ultra-Orthodox Jews in Jerusalem are threatening to strike a gay pride parade scheduled to take place in Jerusalem in two weeks, prompting police to re-evaluate the permit issued to parade organisers.Ynet News reports that most recently, Jerusalem Police Chief Ilan Franko met with orthodox leader Yitzhak Tuvia Weiss.
31 October 2006Elton John funds gay marriage campaign 1 Music legend Elton John has donated $20,000 to defeat a gay marriage ban due to be voted on in Wisconsin.The gay artist has pledged his support as debate surrounding the issue mounts amid Congress elections and a vote on gay marriage next week.His money will help gay campaign group Fair Wisconsin counter an anti-gay advertising campaign from the family Research Institute of Wisconsin.
31 October 2006London school children to be taught HIV awareness + The first mainstream HIV and AIDS GCSE teaching module aimed at school children is being launched in 2007.Crusaid, which supports people affected by HIV in the UK and Africa, will roll out 1,500 media kits to schools across London.The packs are designed to encourage students to devise their own AIDS awareness campaigns and will be the first time that an HIV/AIDS awareness module has been created for the mainstream English curriculum.
31 October 2006Gay Asians less likely to come out + Asian lesbians, gays and bisexuals in New Zealand are less open about their sexuality compared to Western counterparts, a new report claims.A study from Auckland's Massey University found that differing cultural attitudes inhibit Asian people in the LGBT community from coming out.
31 October 2006Stonewall launches job guide for gay and lesbian students + Gay charity Stonewall today launched the second edition of Starting Out, Britain's only national lesbian and gay recruitment guide, designed for graduates and job-seekers.The guide, sponsored by investment bank Credit Suisse and being launched at the University of London Union (ULU), is targeted at the 150,000 lesbian and gay students in Britain and includes 174 major employers.
31 October 2006Police react to “malicious” campaign 1 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveAnti-gay preacher and religious sect leader Stephen Green has been blacklisted by police forces across the country.The move comes after a sustained campaign by the Christian Voice National Director against gay people in the police, which officers say is escalating to unacceptable levels.The Freedom of Information Act Unit, which monitors all police requests, has ordered all chief constables to avoid replying to the "malicious" and "discriminatory" requests from Mr Green.
31 October 2006Green is not the only Christian voice 1 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveCondemnation for Stephen Green and his religious sect The Christian Voice is widespread.Gay organisations and mainstream Christian groups of all denominations are singing from the same hymn sheet against Mr Green.Gay and Lesbian Humanist Association Secretary George Broadhead described Mr Green as worse than 1960s family values moral campaigner Mary Whitehouse.
31 October 2006Dr Starkey’s last word on Popes, Queens and Tony Blair 2 Dr David Starkey, Britain's best-known TV historian, has led a rich academic life and is a prominent gay intellectual.
31 October 2006Civil partnerships aren’t the end of gay struggle + Labour peer Chris Smith argues that there is still a continuing struggle for gay rights.My partner Dorian and I registered our civil partnership in July, in a very quiet ceremony at Islington Town Hall.There were just the two of us, and our two friends who were witnesses; we'd deliberately decided that we wanted the ceremony itself to be private.
31 October 2006No child should fear homophobic bullying 3 London Mayor Ken Livingstone spells out his opposition to homophobic bullying.There is evidence that despite significant progress for lesbian and gay people in recent years, homophobic bullying in schools is on the increase.Many of our schools, supported by hardworking teachers and governors, offer hundreds of thousands of London children the opportunity to maximise their life chances.
31 October 2006Green with envy? 1 Kids get them for throwing bricks through windows and the elderly have been known to receive them for attacking the 'misguided' youth.A person can be given an ASBO if they are repeatedly perceived to be causing harassment in a public space.
31 October 2006A hell of a gay Halloween + Here at PinkNews.co.uk we are constantly trying to put a gay spin on the national agenda.
31 October 2006Gay campaigners outraged after Khatami avoids arrest 2 Gay campaigners are outraged after the Metropolitan Police decided not to question former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami on human rights abuses as he arrives in the UK to collect an honorary doctorate from St Andrews University tonight.Gay rights group Outrage joined calls from politicians and former Iran residents to have Mr Khatami arrested on charges of torture and unjust imprisonment, but the police last night decided there was "insufficient evidence" to arrest the former leader.
31 October 2006Paedophile regrets sex change 1 A convicted paedophile treated by the UK's top transsexual therapist has expressed regret after undergoing gender reassignment.The former patient, is one of five complainants at a General Medical Council hearing accusing Dr Russell Reid behaved inappropriately towards five transgender patients by recommending sex change treatments too quickly between 1984 and 2003.
Articles from 31 October 2006
- Former BP CEO Lord Browne to write new book on homophobia in business3
- Scottish trans woman ‘forced’ to leave town after she was branded a ‘witch’6
- US: Psychotherapists slam ‘gay cure’ app still available from Google app store1
- Mixed martial arts fighter: ‘Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages’36
- Dale Cregan sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering gay police officer and her colleague2
- Russia: Fans warn anti-gay law poses 2018 World Cup violence risk6
- US Supreme Court ruling on Proposition 8: Six possible outcomes2
- US: Gay Jewish activist wins $3.5M lawsuit against cousin for ‘brutal’ childhood abuse2
- US Supreme Court not to decide on DOMA or Prop 8 cases today+
- US: Caterpillar Inc cuts ties with Boy Scouts over lack of progress on gay leadership+
- French Olympic swimmers pose as 'imaginary gay couple' for anti-homophobia campaign10
- Nebraska: University withdraws lesbian student for 'immoral homosexual acts'16
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill42
- Republican Mike Huckabee: 'Every fear' over same-sex marriage has come true42
- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard: It's 'absurd' to think my hairdresser partner Tim Mathieson is gay9
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages' 36
- Former Talksport presenter furious after being branded a 'homophobic radio z-lister'10
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill60
- In Photos: As One in the Park 201317
- US: Gay Jewish activist wins $3.5M lawsuit against cousin for 'brutal' childhood abuse2
- Daily Mail's Andrew Pierce: I'm called a 'homophobe' and 'Uncle Tom' for opposing equal marriage102
- France: Gay rights campaigner, 18, left brain dead after far-right attack67
- Ann Widdecombe: I wouldn't have enjoyed serving under David Cameron because of equal marriage65
- Lord Dear proposes new amendment to equal marriage bill concerning 'traditional marriage'60
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill60
- Baroness Knight: The gays are still good at antiques and Section 28 was right59
- Priest causes row by calling Justin Welby a 'wanker' on Facebook for equal marriage opposition55
- French mayor: 'I will go to the gallows' before performing a same-sex wedding52
- Tory Lord Jenkin: The Lords equal marriage vote was a victory for common decency51
- Pope Francis: There is a 'gay lobby' at the heart of the Vatican 'it exists'48
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage