23 October 2006Gay activists criticise “Catholic Taleban” 3 A Catholic activist in Scotland has been condemned as a "modern-day witch hunter" by the Gay and Lesbian Humanist Association (GALHA) after she harassed a priest over allegations of homosexuality.According to this week's Catholic publication The Tablet, Patricia McKeever, of radical Christian group Catholic Truth, has been "harassing and intimidating" Fr Ed Hone, a Redemptorist at St Patrick's in Edinburgh.
23 October 2006British Embassy hosting gay unions 1 The British Embassy in Dublin is controversially hosting civil partnerships.The unions are illegal under Irish law but the embassy is legally British territory.At least one partner has to be a British citizen.
23 October 2006African leader backs gay marriage + African National Congress Deputy Leader Jacob Zuma appears to be mending his fledgling relationship with the country's gay community after backing same sex marriage.Mr Zuma, who was criticised last month for calling the unions offensive to God, has now pledged his support for the law ahead of a vote in the South African Parliament.
23 October 2006Campaigners push for Oz gay union law 2 The Victorian human rights group, Civil Union Action! (CUA), has praised the Australian Capital Territory Government's commitment to reintroduce a slightly modified version of the recently overturned Civil Unions Act 2006, and has urged the state's Premier Steve Bracks to follow their lead.The ACT Attorney-General Simon Corbell has told the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission's 'Same-Sex: Same Entitlements' inquiry that there are "no grounds" not to formally recognise same-sex relationships.
23 October 2006Polish media outs homophobic PM + It is often said that most homophobes are themselves closet cases, so it should come as no surprise that leaked secret service documents in Poland have suggested that Prime Minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski may be gay.Mr Kaczynski, who is known for his opposition to gay rights since attacking same sex marriage earlier this year, was investigated in 1992 as officials aimed to establish his sexual orientation, the documents reveal.
23 October 2006Gay actor to perform in Doctor Who + Former Boyzone singer, Stephen Gately, is set to appear in a BBC 7 dramatisation of cult classic series Doctor Who for radio.Alongside more established actors such as Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith, Gately will play the Glam rock hopeful Tommy Tomorrow in the story called Doctor Who: Horror of Glam Rock.The role will involve the pop star turned actor performing his first solo work since 2001, doing a "T-Rex style" number.
23 October 2006Activists protest Menzies Campbell Iran support 2 Gay activists are criticising Menzies Campbell, leader of the Liberal Democrats, who is set to award an St Andrews University honorary doctorate to the former Iranian president Mohamed Khatami at the end of October.Campaigners are out raged at the move by the Lib Dem leader.
23 October 2006Borat invited to “Homophobic” homeland 3 The comedian Sacha Baron Cohen has been invited to the home country of his fictional character, Borat by the country's deputy foreign minister Rakhat Aliyev.The comedian has been accused of unfairly branding the central Asian nation as a nation of misogynistic, homophobic and generally backward individuals
23 October 2006Elton John joins John Peel Tribute 7 Elton John has become the latest and perhaps best known star to join the tribute to the late but great radio dj.Sir Elton will play piano and sing on a single, a cover of the Buzzcocks song 'ever fallen in love' to be released on November 21 the proceeds of which will go to human rights charity Amnesty International.
23 October 2006An electrifying evening of cabaret + PinkNews.co.uk's Marc Shoffman plugs himself in for some apple flavoured electric cabaret courtesy of Smirnoff.Camden Town is known for its wackiness, nowhere else can vagrants, drug dealers, market traders and trendy bars and clubs exist in such harmony, so how could the people at Smirnoff fulfil their promise to create an "exclusive live event" in a place already known for its flamboyance?
23 October 2006Police appeal for help after gay attack + Westminster police are making a fresh appeal for information one month after a 28-year old man was subjected to a vicious assault.At approx.
23 October 2006Build up to US mid-term elections 3 Along with the ever inflammatory issue of the US occupation of Iraq this years election will also be campaigned around the Foley scandal that has rocked Capitol Hill in recent weeks."Foley's departure in disgrace has added a sexual dimension to an ethics cloud hovering over the Republican majority less than five weeks before Election Day" the Associated Press reports.
23 October 2006Gay charity refutes Beeb’s ‘gay workplace’ + Gay charity Stonewall has cast doubts on reports that the BBC's commitment to diversity has seen it overrun with lesbian and gay employees.It comes after the Mail on Sunday reported that the channel recently had an "impartiality summit" where issues of bias and representation were discussed.
23 October 2006New drama stars gay performer 2 The new sci-fi thriller Torchwood, starring gay actor John Barrowman as lead Captain Jack, attracted BBC Three's largest audience when it began last night.The Doctor Who spin off is set and produced in Wales and despite being based on a character from the series, no stories will inter link.Both episodes drew over four million viewers to the digital channel last night.
23 October 2006Support for Irish gay unions grows + As one Irish couple aim to get their Canadian marriage recognised by Irish courts, it appears that two-thirds of the country's electorate have sympathy for their plight.Katherine Zappone and Ann Louise Gilligan are currently awaiting a High Court decision on the status of their marriage in Ireland, and a survey by the Sunday Tribune and Millward Brown will bring great comfort to the couple after it showed increasing support for gay and lesbian couples having the same legal and financial rights as married couples.
Articles from 23 October 2006
- Comment: How God Hates Fags and its friends like Linda Harvey further gay rights11
- Lesbian drama tipped for top prize at Cannes film festival1
- Blackburn Rovers footballer charged with making a homophobic gesture at Brighton fans+
- French anti-equal marriage leader pulls out of rally for fear of violence5
- UK: Police criticised after gay killer escapes from prison and ends up in gay bar+
- Brighton: Footballers cleared of sexual assault as woman lied about being drugged at gay pride+
- UK: Card Factory accused of homophobia for selling offensive ‘fag’ birthday card62
- US Pastor: Why I support Jason Collins’ decision to come out as gay+
- Petition urges Google search engine results to stop automatically linking ‘gayest’ with ‘worst’2
- Nick Clegg and Francis Maude agree to fly rainbow flag from Cabinet Office for Pride week6
- UK: Card Factory accused of homophobia for selling offensive 'fag' birthday card62
- Question Time: Ian Paisley Jr defends saying he was 'repulsed' by gays and lesbians45
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins58
- Governor Rick Perry: 'I am greatly disappointed' that the Boy Scouts will allow gay members20
- Video: Book published to teach children to pray to Jesus for gay people to turn straight32
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship23
- Australia: Man who stalked footballer and talked of 'gay orgy' jailed 1
- Lib Dem MP Gordon Birtwistle defends voting against equal marriage 37
- Video: Teenager gets kicked out of Boy Scouts for being gay7
- US: Boy Scouts of America lifts national ban on gay youth members13
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'95
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur65
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people63
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote63
- UK: Card Factory accused of homophobia for selling offensive 'fag' birthday card62
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage