3 October 2006Cameron attacks homophobic record profits 6 Conservative leader David Cameron has strongly attacked record companies profiting from homophobia.In his first speech to his party's autumn party conference as leader, Mr Cameron set out his vision for a Britain free from state interference.
3 October 2006Gay star faces record label axe 4 George Michael faces being dropped by his record label after being found slumped at the wheel of his car for the second time this year.The gay singer was found asleep at the wheel of his BMW while stopping at a traffic light in a North London suburb on Sunday and was later arrested on suspicion of drug possession.
3 October 2006Disgraced Republican blame alcoholism for problems 3 The fallout continues over the resignation of Florida Republican Representative Mark Foley from the US Congress on Friday after reports that he sent inappropriate e-mails to teenage congressional pages.Foley has now reportedly entered an alcohol rehab centre, according to a statement released by his lawyer.
3 October 2006Irish lesbian couple seek marriage recognition + An Irish couple will begin a legal battle for the recognition of their marriage today.Katherine Zappone and Ann Louise Gilligan were married in Canada in 2003 but want their union to be recognised by the Irish government too.The High Court in Dublin will hear arguments today in the case being taken by Dr Katherine Zappone and Ann Louise Gilligan against the Revenue Commissioners and the State for recognition of their legal Canadian marriage in Ireland.
3 October 2006Reflections on Yom Kippur 8 PinkNews.co.uk founder and Channel 4 news correspondent Benjamin Cohen considers the Jewish calendar's holiest day from a gay perspective.As I sat in Synagogue yesterday during Yom Kippur for a moment I regretted that I'm still a member of the United Synagogue.
3 October 2006MEP praised for gay rights work + Gay rights campaigner Sophie In't Veld has been nominated as MEP of the Year.The vice-president of the European Parliament's Intergroup on Gay and Lesbian rights has been recognised for her civil liberties campaigning particularly in regards to the gay community where she has pushed for greater LGBT rights throughout the continent.
3 October 2006UK “ignorant” about HIV + The United Kingdom has one of the worst attitudes towards HIV in Europe, according to a survey by the European Union.The Eurobarometer survey for the European Commission asked 25,000 people across the continent how much they had changed their sexual behaviour in response to AIDS since 2002.
3 October 2006Gay Tories surprised at Cameron’s history 6 Two of the Conservative's most high profile representatives expressed surprise today that Tory leader David Cameron had previously voted against some aspects of gay rights, but said it shows how far the party has now moved.Speaking at a fringe meeting of the party's annual conference in Bournemouth arranged by gay charity Stonewall, Conservative Vice-Chairman Margot James and Arundel and South Downs MP Nick Herbert appeared unaware that Mr Cameron had once voted against allowing gay couples to adopt and repealing Section 28.
3 October 2006Should a gay person support ‘traditional faith?’ 8 Following Channel 4 correspondent Benjamin Cohen's analysis of being a gay Jew in the United Synagogue earlier today, PinkNews.co.uk reader Markus-Hayden Sutherland suggests boycotting anti-gay aspects of faithIt is sad to me that a person of faith supports, even indirectly, a movement that vilifies him.
Articles from 03 October 2006
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’+
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members+
- US church tells PinkNews: Equal marriage is to blame for violent Woolwich murder4
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’+
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’+
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote11
- Sir Gerald Howarth: ‘I should have used ‘militant’ rather than ‘aggressive’ to describe the ‘homosexuality community’31
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill — Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained16
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends ‘aggressive homosexual community’ equal marriage slur58
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 58
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'31
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'45
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained16
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage