28 September 2006Gay and Lesbian History Month met with protest in US + Over 120 complaints have been made to The Philadelphia School District over the recognition of Gay and Lesbian History Month on their school calendar.Cecilia Cummings, Philadelphia's senior vice-president for communications and community relations said the month was added for the first time this year in an effort to be more inclusive and follow the districts policy requiring equity for all minority groups.
28 September 2006October’s The Pink News is out now! + October's The Pink News is dominated by religion and politics.
28 September 2006Christian cleared over gay pride protest + The head of an anti-gay Christian lobby group has been cleared of public order charges after handing out anti-gay leaflets, but now plans to take civil action against the police for infringing on his freedom of speech.Stephen Green, director of Christian Voice, appeared before magistrates earlier this month after being arrested for handing out leaflets at Cardiff Mardi Gras which included quotes saying homosexuality is wrong.
28 September 2006ANCYL distances itself from Zuma 1 The Africa National Council Youth League (ANCYL) has distanced itself from Jacob Zuma's homophobic comments made last Sunday at the Heritage Day celebrations in KwaDukza.The ANCYL has said the statement from Zuma represented his personal view and not that of the Africa National Council.
28 September 2006LA gay centre sues IRS for past discrimination + The LA Gay Lesbian Centre sued the Internal Revenue Service in US District Court this week to force the IRS to obey the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) by releasing documents related to its discriminatory rejection of the centre's application for non-profit status in the early 1970s.More than a year after filing for federal 501(c)(3) non-profit status in 1971, the IRS denied the application from the "Gay Community Services Centre" (as it was known then) on the unsubstantiated grounds that it was not "organised and operated exclusively for charitable and educational purposes."
28 September 2006Gay Christian dating website launched today 1 A new gay Christian matchmaking site has been officially launched today by truthsetsfree web site owner and preacher Justin R.
28 September 2006Web bans gay characters 18 A gay gamer has been forced to change his online screen identity after being told his username is too "vulgar" and "offensive" for internet role playing game City of Heroes.The game, run by international software developer NC Soft, refuses to allow the use of the word gay, changing it to symbols like swear words.
28 September 2006Taiwanese Gay Festival comes to an end + This Saturday is the date for Taipei's annual gay pride march, rounding off two weeks of gay public events within the Taiwanese capital.Taiwan has over the last two weeks shown the world why it is considered one of the most gay friendly nations in Asia.
28 September 2006Gay conversion group backtracks on bully policy 2 A group which claims to convert gay people back to heterosexuality tried to hide its embarrassment last month after a PinkNews.co.uk investigation revealed that one of its affiliates advocated bullying children with gender identity issues.Last month PinkNews.co.uk reported that a member of the National Association for Research and the Therapy of Homosexuals (NARTH) had suggested exposing "gender variant" children to bullying to re-establish a "normal boundary."
28 September 2006Iran’s “grisly human rights record” is a key issue 2 Labour MP Chris Bryant argues that Iran's treatment of gays and lesbians is as much of a concern as their nuclear ambitions.It's all too easy for Europeans to take our rights as gays and lesbians for granted.Yet in my lifetime homosexuality was illegal in Britain and in countries as diverse as Spain, Greece and Poland there were dictatorships that punished any sex between men with imprisonment or hard labour.
28 September 2006Liberals still lead the way on gay rights + Liberal Democrat equality spokesperson Lorely Burt argues that her party has led the way in gay rights.Everyone knows that during last 10 years the fight for LGBT rights has made unprecedented advances.Less known is the fact that the Liberal Democrats have been the principal driving force behind these changes.
28 September 2006Lesbian teens face worse treatment in New York prisons claims report 1 A report by the Human Rights Watch and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) suggests that conditions facing gay teenagers in prisons are worse than those for straight teenagers.Mie Lewis, who wrote the report said; "New York wants to hide the fate of the girls it incarcerates.
28 September 2006Out and proud party people 1 With the party conference season in full swing Tony Grew, political correspondent for The Pink News, speaks to gay party activists from the Tories, the Greens, the LibDems and Labour to find out what being gay and being political actually means in 2006.For those of us old enough to remember the passage of Section 28 and lesbian avengers storming the BBC news and abseiling into the House of Lords, back then it seemed the only way to fight homophobia was to rally behind the red flag.
28 September 2006Evangelical pursues gay police 11 The Gay Lesbian Humanist Association has learned that an evangelical Christian politician will be seeking a private prosecution of members of the Gay Police Association following the Crown Prosecution Service's determination this week that the group would not be prosecuted.Rev George Hargreaves, the leader of Operation Christian Vote, a fundamentalist Christian political party that unsuccessfully contested seats in the 2004 election, informed Ken Macdonald QC, Director of Public Prosecutions, that he was seeking "request for leave to enter into a private prosecution in the matter of the GPA's advertisement."
28 September 2006Sunshine attracts increased civil ceremonies + The number of gay civil ceremonies in Scotland increased by 20% compared to the beginning of the year.The figures released today from the Registrar General for Scotland show that many gay and lesbian couples used the warm summer months to register for civil partnerships
28 September 2006“Raping me won’t make me straight” lesbian “mini pride” makes its voice heard + More than 40 South African women took to the streets of Soweto in a "mini pride" march promoted by the Forum for the Empowerment of Women, a gay human rights group based in the township.Holding placards reading "A lesbian with HIV/Aids is still my sister" and "Raping me won't make me straight" the group marched through the Johannesburg suburb, then listened to a series of speeches.
29 September 2006Presidential hopeful apologises to South Africa’s gay community 3 South Africa's former Deputy President Jacob Zuma has apologise for offending the gay community and explained that his comments describing same sex marriage as "a disgrace" were misinterpreted.Zuma, who is fighting for his political life after being fired over a corruption scandal last year, angered activists after a local newspaper quoted him calling plans to legalise same-sex marriages a "disgrace to the nation and to God."
29 September 2006California legislates for trans protections 1 Transgender groups are hailing California as "the most protective" US state after Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger passed the country's first law addressing the use of gay and transgender panic defences.The bill, signed into law yesterday, makes it more difficult for a defendant accused of homophobic or transphobic violence to use the controversial gay panic defence which has previously been used to argue that a murderer or attacker had a temporary moment of insanity when discovering their victim was gay.
29 September 2006Gays banned from church leadership roles in New Zealand 4 Leaders of New Zealand's Presbyterian Church today voted to bar gays and people having sex outside of marriage from having leadership roles within the church.The General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa, New Zealand 's top decision-making body reaffirmed its 2004 rule that those involved in sexual relations outside of marriage cannot become ministers or elders.
29 September 2006Young Liberal Democrats launch ‘homophobia is gay’ campaign 10 Young Liberal Democrats have launched a 'crucial' campaign to stop homophobic bullying in schools.The Liberal Democrat Youth and Students (LDYS) chose the Liberal Democrat Conference, which was held in Brighton last week, to launch the initiative.The lynchpin of the campaign is hundreds of pink badges bearing the satirical slogan "Homophobia is Gay".
Articles from September 2006
- Comment: How God Hates Fags and its friends like Linda Harvey further gay rights11
- Lesbian drama tipped for top prize at Cannes film festival1
- Blackburn Rovers footballer charged with making a homophobic gesture at Brighton fans+
- French anti-equal marriage leader pulls out of rally for fear of violence5
- UK: Police criticised after gay killer escapes from prison and ends up in gay bar+
- Brighton: Footballers cleared of sexual assault as woman lied about being drugged at gay pride+
- UK: Card Factory accused of homophobia for selling offensive ‘fag’ birthday card62
- US Pastor: Why I support Jason Collins’ decision to come out as gay+
- Petition urges Google search engine results to stop automatically linking ‘gayest’ with ‘worst’2
- Nick Clegg and Francis Maude agree to fly rainbow flag from Cabinet Office for Pride week6
- UK: Card Factory accused of homophobia for selling offensive 'fag' birthday card62
- Question Time: Ian Paisley Jr defends saying he was 'repulsed' by gays and lesbians45
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins58
- Governor Rick Perry: 'I am greatly disappointed' that the Boy Scouts will allow gay members20
- Video: Book published to teach children to pray to Jesus for gay people to turn straight32
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship23
- Australia: Man who stalked footballer and talked of 'gay orgy' jailed 1
- Lib Dem MP Gordon Birtwistle defends voting against equal marriage 37
- Video: Teenager gets kicked out of Boy Scouts for being gay7
- US: Boy Scouts of America lifts national ban on gay youth members13
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'95
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur65
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people63
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote63
- UK: Card Factory accused of homophobia for selling offensive 'fag' birthday card62
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage