18 July 2006London Mayor backs Brits at Gay Games 3 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveThe Mayor of London has sent good luck wishes to the athletes taking part in this week's Gay Games in Chicago and the upcoming Outgames in Montreal.The weeklong Chicago event, expected to draw nearly 12,000 athletes from 65 countries, started last weekend and will be staged in 33 venues across Chicago and the suburbs.
18 July 2006Gay Pride organisers urge tolerance amid Israeli tension 23 As tension mounts on Israel's borders with the Gaza Strip and inside Lebanon, the organiser's of WorldPride Jerusalem insist their event will still go ahead and have called for tolerance in the region.The international gay event is scheduled for August 6 2006, after being cancelled last year because of the evacuation of Jewish Settlers from Gaza, but Jerusalem Open House (JOH) are keen for their event to take place as planned.
18 July 2006LGBT community driven by gay friendly cars + A survey of the top lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender, gay car has revealed loyalty to gay friendly brands and ranked the sporty new 2007 Saturn Sky two-seat convertible as a must have for the community, according to a motoring website.Gaywheels.com, the first automotive website specifically targeted to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community released research this week on the Top 10 LGBT vehicles.
18 July 2006Gay asylum group push for Iranian protection + The UK Lesbian Gay Immigration Group has written to Liam Byrne, the Home Office Minister responsible for immigration, requesting the suspension of removals to Iran of lesbian and gay asylum seekers.The Group has urged the Minister to ensure that no Iranian lesbian or gay asylum seeker be removed from the UK whilst there are genuine concerns that those suspected of having gay sexual relationships are at risk of persecution.
18 July 2006Gay campaigners back UN membership + Around 100 gay campaigners and support groups have signed a petition calling on the United Nations to approve consultative status for four lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) organisations.Organised by John Fisher, of Canadian gay group, ARC, the document aims to ensure the International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA), the Danish National Association for Gays and Lesbians, the Lesbian and Gay Federation in Germany, and ILGA-Europe, are recognised as non governmental organisations.
18 July 2006Congress candidate opposes gay army ban + A California Democrat this week has called for repeal of the federal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law barring openly lesbian, gay and bisexual Americans from military service.Democratic Congressional candidate John Rinaldi, who served as a commissioned Navy Officer during Desert Storm, said legislation to repeal the ban "would bring our military's policies in line with the will of the people and the needs of our national security."
18 July 2006Georgia gay alliance allowed back to school + A federal judge has issued a decision requiring White County High School in Georgia to allow students in the gay-straight alliance club (GSA) to meet on campus.The decision was cheered by the American Civil Liberties Union, which brought the case on behalf of the students in the club.
18 July 2006Legislator sues university over gay partner rights 1 In papers filed this past week, gay legal group Lambda Legal asked the Butler County Court of Common Pleas in Ohio to dismiss a lawsuit brought by a legislator seeking to take away the domestic partner benefits of employees of Miami University because the legislator has no legal standing to sue."Mr [Tom] Brinkman has no legal standing to bring this lawsuit because it makes no difference in his daily life when the domestic partners of lesbian and gay university employees have health insurance," said James Madigan, lawyer for Lambda Legal's Midwest Regional Office in Chicago.
18 July 2006Darren Hayes celebrates gay union 4 Former Savage Garden frontman, Darren Hayes, has ended speculation over his sexuality after he came out yesterday and revealed he has had a civil partnership.The solo singer has often remained silent on his private life, but yesterday afternoon he published a statement on his website celebrating his civil ceremony with his partner of two years, Richard.
18 July 2006Guernsey may lower gay age of consent 3 Guernsey Chief Minister Laurie Morgan has signalled that the island may follow neighbouring Jersey's lead in lowering the gay age of consent.His remarks came after the issue was raised at a meeting of the Crown Dependencies of Guernsey, Jersey, and the Isle of Man, after the fellow Channel Island of Jersey lowered the age of gay consent from 18 to 16 recently.
18 July 2006Neo-Nazis threaten Latvia Gay Pride 1 Latvian authorities are considering cancelling this weekend's Latvia's Gay Pride in the capital of Riga amid threats of violence from Christians, nationalists and neo-Nazis.Responding to these homophobic threats, the Latvian authorities are threatening to ban the Riga Pride march on public order grounds, claiming it is the "biggest security risk" since Latvia won its independence from the USSR.
18 July 2006Oprah silences lesbian rumours + US talk show host Oprah Winfrey has moved to quash rumours that she is in a lesbian relationship.Winfrey, host of the US's most highly rated talk show, told the Oprah Magazine, that people are misunderstanding her 30 year relationship with best friend, Gayle King.
18 July 2006Vietnam to recognise transsexual plight 1 Transsexuals are to be allowed sex change operations in Vietnam.A health ministry official in the country announced today that legislation will be prepared for a gender transition law which would allow a transgender person to become the right gender after medical and psychological tests.
18 July 2006Police appeal for help after homophobic assault + Officers from the Westminster Community Safety Unit are appealing for information following a homophobic assault during the Euro Pride event on Saturday 1 July.At approx 1640 the female victim was walking with her girlfriend in Dean Street W1, near to the junction with Bateman Street when an unknown man approached them, attacked the victim and made a homophobic remark.
18 July 2006Gay community to remember hanged teenagers + Labour MP Chris Bryant will be hosting a meeting at the House of Commons tomorrow evening to mark the first anniversary of Iran's hanging of two gay teenagers.Mahmoud Asgari and Ayaz Marhoni were publicly executed in Iran last year, because according to the regime they were rapists, however gay campaigners insist the boys were killed under Sharia law for the crime of homosexuality.
Articles from 18 July 2006
- UK: Police criticised after gay killer escapes from prison and ends up in gay bar+
- Brighton: Footballers cleared of sexual assault as woman lied about being drugged at gay pride+
- UK: Card Factory accused of homophobia for selling offensive ‘fag’ birthday card31
- US Pastor: Why I support Jason Collins’ decision to come out as gay+
- Petition urges Google search engine results to stop automatically linking ‘gayest’ with ‘worst’1
- Nick Clegg and Francis Maude agree to fly rainbow flag from Cabinet Office for Pride week5
- Video: Book published to teach children to pray to Jesus for gay people to turn straight25
- Lib Dem MP Gordon Birtwistle defends voting against equal marriage34
- Australia: Man who stalked footballer and talked of ‘gay orgy’ jailed1
- Governor Rick Perry: ‘I am greatly disappointed’ that the Boy Scouts will allow gay members19
- Question Time: Ian Paisley Jr defends saying he was 'repulsed' by gays and lesbians40
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins58
- Governor Rick Perry: 'I am greatly disappointed' that the Boy Scouts will allow gay members19
- UK: Card Factory accused of homophobia for selling offensive 'fag' birthday card31
- Video: Book published to teach children to pray to Jesus for gay people to turn straight25
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship23
- Lib Dem MP Gordon Birtwistle defends voting against equal marriage 34
- Australia: Man who stalked footballer and talked of 'gay orgy' jailed 1
- Video: Teenager gets kicked out of Boy Scouts for being gay7
- US: Boy Scouts of America lifts national ban on gay youth members13
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur65
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people63
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote63
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe homosexuals60
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage