22 June 2006Straight MP sues Putin for gay rights + A gay rights campaigner in Russia is planning to sue President Vladimir Putin for failing to protect homosexuals.Edward Murzin, an MP in the country's Bashkortostan Republican, is urging Mr Putin to clamp down on homophobia in the country.Mr Murzin said in his case that all citizens should have constitutional rights protected including sexual minorities.
22 June 2006South Korea approves trans recognition 1 South Korea's Supreme Court has ruled that a transsexual can legally change his gender to male.The court decreed that the 51-year-old could have his gender recognised on official documents.The court heard opinions from religious leaders and medical professionals over the issue which would change the law regarding the Family Register.
22 June 2006Episcopal Church to “exercise restraint” over gay bishops 8 The US Episcopal Church has agreed on a watered down version of a proposal rejected yesterday which would have banned the appointment of gay clergy.The denomination's General Convention instead last night agreed to "exercise restraint" in ordaining gay bishops, as part of an effort to amend rifts within the Anglican Church.
22 June 2006THT campaign alerts gay men to HIV + HIV and sexual health charity Terrence Higgins Trust is launching a new campaign today to raise gay men's awareness of their proximity to HIV.The number of gay men living with HIV has doubled in the last ten years and the campaign aims to make men think about how close they are to HIV.
22 June 2006Gays are most ‘unfairly treated’ group in Northern Ireland 3 Most people in Northern Ireland have no problem with working or living near a gay person despite a consensus that lesbian, gay, and bisexual people are amongst the most unfairly treated in the country, a survey shows.The findings are part of an Equality Awareness Survey commissioned by the Equality Commission which assesses awareness of equality issues amongst the general public in Northern Ireland.
22 June 2006Gay favourite Kylie returns + Gay icon Kylie Minogue will relaunch her Australian Showgirl tour this November after recovering from breast cancer surgery, it was announced today.Minogue had to cancel the Australian leg of her world tour last May after being diagnosed with cancer, but concert promoter, and long term friend, Michael Gudinski told reporters today that she is "fit as a fiddle."
22 June 2006Scotland records first gay civil union statistics + Almost 350 same sex couples in Scotland have had civil partnerships, it has been revealed today in the first official statistics of the ceremony in the country.A total of 343 partnerships have been recorded since the Civil Partnership Act came into force in December last year.
22 June 2006Gay group joins police to address community concerns + Irish police have responded to lesbian and gay concerns about safety issues and developed a new community safety strategy for the Dublin region.Launched by Minister of Justice Michael McDowell this morning, at the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community centre Outhouse, the strategy will be piloted for a year before being rolled out nationally.
22 June 2006Gay campaigner condemns Bromley candidate’s “gutter politics” 3 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveGay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell has accused an Independent candidate for next week's Bromley and Chislehurst by-election of using "gutter politics" after his team raised questions regarding the sexuality of Conservative candidate Bob Neill.The candidate, John Hemming-Clark said on his website, "Leaflets are dropping aplenty through the letter boxes of Bromley and Chislehurst with the main candidates extolling their married with children credentials.
22 June 2006Elton John headlines EuroPride 6 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveSir Elton John will perform at this summer's EuroPride Show in the Royal Albert Hall.The chairperson of Pride London, Steven Cootes, confirmed the rumour to PinkNews.co.uk amid speculation of whom the events' mystery guest would be at the gay pride's 2006 climax show on July 2 2006.
22 June 2006Tory MEPs accused of failing to stop homophobia 1 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveLabour MEP Michael Cashman has accused the Conservative Party of failing to condemn violence against the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in Europe.Mr Cashman,president of the European Parliament's Intergroup for Gay and Lesbian Rights' remarks come after Tory MEPs abstained in an EU vote last week that condemned racist and homophobic violence.
Articles from 22 June 2006
- Humanist weddings amendment withdrawn from equal marriage bill7
- Russia: LGBT rights group fined 500,000 rubles under ‘foreign agent’ law1
- Amendments urging for civil registrars to opt out of equal marriage ceremonies withdrawn from bill6
- Gay fashioner designer Stefano Gabbana sentenced for tax evasion14
- US: Third Republican Senator comes out in favour of equal marriage2
- South Africa: Gay imam spreads message of empowerment when it comes to homosexuality and Islam7
- South Australia officially congratulates New Zealand on equal marriage, ahead of introduction of its own bill1
- Watch LIVE: House of Lords debates same-sex marriage amendments+
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans: ‘I continue to refute all allegations’+
- Maltese Prime Minister: A civil unions bill is to be introduced by the end of this year2
- Liberace's ex-lover claims he had six year relationship with Michael Jackson18
- Live blog: Highlights from the House of Lords committee on same-sex marriage22
- Brazil: Lawmakers approve bill which would remove ban on 'gay cure' therapy 25
- Tory MP John Glen criticises Bishop of Salisbury for voicing support for equal marriage31
- Michelle Shocked to return to San Francisco during Pride Week, to clarify her feelings following anti-gay rant17
- Gay dating website for 'homosensible' Catholic priests being run out of the Vatican19
- Poland: Prime Minister backs down and admits opposition to civil unions is too strong26
- Gay 'cure' therapy NHS ban motion gains cross-party support4
- Gay fashioner designer Stefano Gabbana sentenced for tax evasion14
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans re-arrested on new indecent assault allegations—
- New 'Gay Marriage No Thanks' group launches with 'ten good reasons' to oppose equal marriage86
- Barry Cryer brands ITV's Vicious 'homophobic' television85
- Lord Tebbit: I wouldn't have been surprised if Jimmy Savile was homosexual84
- Archbishop of York: Would the Church of England rather bless 'sheep and trees' than gay couples?84
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'69
- Lib Dems' Baroness Williams to support anti-equal marriage 'union' amendment69
- Maria Miller tables Public Order Act amendment protecting critics of equal marriage67
- Labour MSP Elaine Smith: 'I'm against equal marriage but don't call me homophobic'64
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill62
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill62
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage