14 June 2006Panel requests gay policy officer for Brighton + Brighton and Hove's gay community should have a dedicated policy officer, the local council's review panel has recommended.The Equalities and Review Panel at Brighton and Hove City Council tasked with reviewing the way the local authority treats its diverse groups concluded yesterday that a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) policy officer should be appointed along with an update of the LGBT community strategy.
14 June 2006Mobster who inspired gay Sopranos’ star is jailed 2 The real-life mobster who ordered a hit on a gay mob boss, and whose story inspired an entire season of suspense surrounding gay mobster Vito Spatafore (Joe Gannascoli) in TV series' The Sopranos, has been sentenced to life in prison.Stefano Vitabile, 71, was sentenced to life in prison for ordering the 1992 slaying of acting DeCavalcante crime boss John (Johnny Boy) D'Amato, who was killed when he was outed by his fellow mobsters, according to New York's Daily News.
14 June 2006Polish education minister bans gay rights book + The head of teacher training in Poland has been sacked after distributing a human rights manual which describes the types of discrimination lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people may face.Polish Education Minister Roman Giertych said the publication titled Compass: a manual on human rights education with young people, is a "contradiction to the core curriculum for general education" and against his idea of "patriotic education" in schools.
14 June 2006Straight Americans welcome gay advertising + A majority of American adults are not put off by gay advertising or affiliations with gay causes, according to a new national survey.The results contradict campaigns by organisations such as the American Family Association who have attempted to create a boycott of the Ford Motor Company because of its advertisements in gay publications and sponsorship of pride events.
14 June 2006Gay Cameroonians jailed on “sodomy” charges + Seven gay Cameroonians who were on trial for "sodomy" have been jailed for 10 months, the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC) claims.Since the men have already been detained in a Kondegui Prison in Yaoundé for more than one year, they are expected to be released shortly for time served.
14 June 2006Gay groups push for UN recognition + A campaign by the International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA) to encourage lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender groups to apply for recognition a Non Governmental Organisation (NGO) at the United Nations (UN) has been backed positively by organisations across the world.The groups that applied by the May 31 2006 deadline include the Associação Brasileira de Gays, Lésbicas e Transgêneros (ABGLT), COC Nederlands, the Federación Estatal de Lesbianas, Gays, Transexuales y Bisexuales (FELGT) of Spain, Gays and Lesbians of Zimbabwe (GALZ), Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC), and the Riksförbundet för sexuellt likaberättigande (RFSL) of Sweden.
14 June 2006Lesbian drama star joins Manchester play + The lead in a Channel Four hit adaptation of a lesbian teen novel is to star in a new play set in Manchester this week.Sugar Rush star and University of Manchester final year drama student Olivia Hallinan will join the cast of Wake Me Later, a new play by Nicola Schofield, to be premiered at the University.
14 June 2006EU resolution to condemn homophobia 1 European politicians will vote on a joint draft resolution addressing an increase in racist and homophobic violence on the continent.The House will call on the members to reinforce criminal law measures aimed at the approximation of the penalties for such offences throughout the EU.
14 June 2006Legal group defend gay school club + Trial was held on Monday in an American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) federal lawsuit asking for a permanent injunction requiring officials at White County High School in Cleveland, Georgia to recognise a gay-straight alliance club (GSA).Administrators at White County High School in Cleveland, Georgia have been blocking the GSA from meeting since the beginning of the 2005-2006 school year while allowing other clubs to meet, a clear violation of the Federal Equal Access Act.
14 June 2006Australian gay couples waiting on Senate vote 1 Same sex couples are awaiting action from the Australian Senate which may be the last area where supporters of the Australian Capital Territory's (ACT) Civil Unions Bill can ensure it passes.The ACT's local assembly approved the bill last month giving same sex couple's the right to a civil union after watering down the law to ensure it did not represent marriage.
14 June 2006EU urged to address homophobia 1 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveHomophobia must be targeted by members of the European Union (EU) or "anarchy" will prevail, the president of the EU's Intergroup on Gay and Lesbian Rights warned today.European politicians are currently debating a joint draft resolution addressing an increase in racist and homophobic violence on the continent, to be voted on tomorrow.
14 June 2006Caribbean homophobic attack suspect gives himself up 5 A man thought to be the main attacker in a homophobic assault in St Marteen has been arrested.The man, known only as Duracell, is reported to have given himself up to police in relation to an attack on CBS news producer Dick Jefferson and his friend Ryan Smith, also a producer, who were beaten unconscious by a homophobic gang on the Caribbean Island at the beginning of April outside a bar.
14 June 2006Teachers must “challenge homophobia” in class + Teachers must include the gay community when teaching about issues such as equality, families and the media to help challenge homophobic bullying in schools, an education consultant advised today.Mark Jennett, an expert in teaching on sexuality, told a conference of the NASUWT teaching union that the classroom is a place where sexuality can easily be talked about.
Articles from 14 June 2006
- Pope Francis urges French delegates not to follow ‘fashionable’ ideas+
- UK: Muslim group seeks mosques for all sexualities7
- Bermuda: Anti-discrimination law adopted amid equal marriage controversy1
- Gibraltar LGBT activist awarded OBE in Queen’s Birthday Honours list1
- German Cabinet adopts bill to give gay couples equal tax benefits8
- Gay rights opponent Tory MP Edward Leigh knighted in Queen’s Birthday Honours list25
- Lord Tebbit: I wouldn’t have been surprised if Jimmy Savile was homosexual50
- Mixed martial arts boss to fighter who linked equal marriage to incest: ‘Leave talking to smart people’6
- TV presenter Clare Balding awarded OBE in Queen’s Birthday Honours list5
- Canada: Hockey player apologises after tweeting anti-gay slur about NBA player2
- Lord Tebbit: I wouldn't have been surprised if Jimmy Savile was homosexual50
- Mixed martial arts boss to fighter who linked equal marriage to incest: 'Leave talking to smart people'6
- Despite strong intolerance of gays, Pakistan leads in world for gay porn searches40
- Gay rights opponent Tory MP Edward Leigh knighted in Queen's Birthday Honours list25
- Gay police officer leaves Savile inquiry job in order to take part in Big Brother 13
- Northern Ireland elects first openly gay mayor 5
- French Olympic swimmers pose as 'imaginary gay couple' for anti-homophobia campaign12
- San Francisco: Gay blogger sentenced for taking toilet photo of gay supervisor Scott Wiener 2
- TV presenter Clare Balding awarded OBE in Queen's Birthday Honours list5
- Canada: Hockey player apologises after tweeting anti-gay slur about NBA player2
- Daily Mail's Andrew Pierce: I'm called a 'homophobe' and 'Uncle Tom' for opposing equal marriage102
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'69
- Baroness Knight: The gays are still good at antiques and Section 28 was right61
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill61
- Lord Dear proposes new amendment to equal marriage bill concerning 'traditional marriage'60
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill60
- French mayor: 'I will go to the gallows' before performing a same-sex wedding53
- Labour's Clause 20 sex education amendment fails in the Commons51
- Pope Francis: There is a 'gay lobby' at the heart of the Vatican 'it exists'50
- Australia: Radio host sacked for asking Prime Minister Julia Gillard if her partner is gay50
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage