6 June 2006US President backs gay marriage ban despite waning support 4 US President George W Bush yesterday called for support of the proposed constitutional ban on gay marriage to be debated in the Senate from today.The President, who had been tight lipped in recent months on the issue of same-sex marriage, announced last week he supports an amendment to the constitution, sticking firm to the belief than marriage is between a man and a woman, despite the fact that Vice President Dick Cheney and even the first lady have offered differing opinions.
6 June 2006Sir Elton gets his Mojo + Music legend Sir Elton John has been inducted into the Mojo Hall of Fame.The gay star received the honour at the music magazine's awards in Shoreditch Town Hall last night.The award was presented to him by Best Newcomer winner, singer Corinne Bailey Rae, whose album sold around half a million copies after her single Put Your Records On became a Europe wide hit.
6 June 2006BBC governors reject homophobic complaints 6 The BBC's governors have dismissed complaints that the station broadcasted homophobic material.The complaint to the BBC board of governors, objected to perceived homophobia on BBC Radio 1 and on the Catherine Tate comedy show.Radio1 DJ Chris Moyle's was cited for describing a ring tone as gay and offence was caused by comments made by US rapper The Game on Jo Whiley's show on the same station, when he described gay people as "faggots".
6 June 2006Williams reinstates bishop after gay row + An Evangelical clergyman who lost his standing as a bishop over a gay row has been reinstated by the Archbishop of CanterburyDr Rowan Williams allowed an appeal by the Reverend Richard Coekin against the revocation of his bishop licence by the Bishop of Southwark, Reverend Tom Butler.
6 June 2006Australia set to lose gay union laws 1 Just weeks after the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) approved a gay civil union law, the Federal Government has promised to overturn it.Despite an initial willingness to consider the law, Attorney General Philip Ruddock has now stated that it would be against the Federal Marriage Act as it is too similar to marriage and fails to take heed of the government's concerns.
6 June 2006‘BBC condones homophobia,’ says anti-bullying charity 6 An anti-bullying charity has rejected the BBC's claim that Radio1 DJ Chris Moyles did not cause offence by referring to a ring tone as "gay".A complaint made against the presenter, Chris Moyles, after he dismissed a ring tone by saying "I don't want that one, it's gay", was rejected by a committee of the BBC Board of Governors.
6 June 2006Lesbian couple begin battle for marriage recognition 9 A lesbian couple seeking UK recognition for their marriage in Canada began their case at the High Court today.University professors Sue Wilkinson and Celia Kitzinger were married lawfully in Canada in August 2003, while Sue was working there, after the province of British Columbia opened up marriage to same-sex couples.
6 June 2006Vatican attacks gay marriage 3 The Vatican expressed fresh criticism of gay marriages today, just days before Pope Benedict XVI visits Spain, where same sex marriage is legal.The document, produced by the Pontifical Council for the Family, titled Family and Human Procreation, sets out doctrines on the relationship between family and reproduction.
6 June 2006Activists oppose anti-gay Nigerian law + Human rights activists in Nigeria have formed an alliance against the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Bill now in the National Assembly, saying it violates people's sexual rights.The bill calls for imprisonment for any person who "goes through the ceremony of marriage with a person of the same sex", anyone who helps them and any gay clubs or organisations.
6 June 2006Fans campaign for gay Superman + A US gay magazine is calling for Superman to come out.The Advocate is so convinced that the Man of Steel is gay that they have a made a whole feature titled How Gay is Superman.The publication has created speculation in internet chat rooms and message boards on the preferences of Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent.
Articles from 06 June 2006
- Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Blue to headline Pride Bristol+
- In meeting with Archbishop of Canterbury, the Pope does not specify marriage as between man and woman1
- New straight civil partnerships amendment tabled for equal marriage bill in House of Lords6
- Gay police officer leaves Savile inquiry job in order to take part in Big Brother3
- Chris Brown starts equality campaign and vows to stand up for gay rights9
- Son of US Senator under fire for posting racist and homophobic tweets7
- Labour MEP Michael Cashman: Putin’s ‘hate speech’ has resulted in the ‘barbaric killing’ of gay Russian men4
- Lord Carey tables amendment to undermine equal marriage bill by calling for ‘two tiered’ marriage19
- Survey: LGBT acceptance at all time high in US, but discrimination remains+
- X Factor star Marcus Collins takes part in anti-hate crime campaign video1
- US: GOP Senator says he thinks businesses should be able to sack people for being gay28
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages' 60
- Video: Married binational gay couple kept apart by DOMA urges US Supreme Court strike-down22
- Australia: Radio host sacked for asking Prime Minister Julia Gillard if her partner is gay41
- Scottish trans woman 'forced' to leave town after she was branded a 'witch'20
- Lord Carey tables amendment to undermine equal marriage bill by calling for 'two tiered' marriage19
- French Olympic swimmers pose as 'imaginary gay couple' for anti-homophobia campaign12
- Gay police officer leaves Savile inquiry job in order to take part in Big Brother 3
- US: Gay Catholics to turn their backs on Cardinal who compared Pride to Ku Klux Klan rally11
- In Photos: As One in the Park 201317
- Daily Mail's Andrew Pierce: I'm called a 'homophobe' and 'Uncle Tom' for opposing equal marriage102
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill61
- Lord Dear proposes new amendment to equal marriage bill concerning 'traditional marriage'60
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'60
- Baroness Knight: The gays are still good at antiques and Section 28 was right59
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill55
- French mayor: 'I will go to the gallows' before performing a same-sex wedding52
- Labour's Clause 20 sex education amendment fails in the Commons50
- Pope Francis: There is a 'gay lobby' at the heart of the Vatican 'it exists'49
- YouGov poll: Next Doctor Who actor being straight less important than being male and British45
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage