16 May 2006Reverend backs gay marriage + A Scottish minister has given his backing to civil partnerships after calling on the General Assembly of Scotland to reject an evangelical group's protest against priests conducting the gay service.The Reverend Bob Brown of Queen's Cross Church in Aberdeen voiced disapproval of a campaign by Christian group, Forward Together, who want ministers and deacons banned from conducting the ceremonies because they believe it is against the Bible.
16 May 2006Vatican denies gay prostitution claims 2 The Vatican has issued a denial and is threatening legal action after claims that one of its priests has been arrested while looking for a male or transsexual prostitute in an area known for soliciting.Italian news agency, Ansa, and several Italian newspapers, reported last weekend that an unidentified 48- year-old official of the secretary of state of the Vatican had been stopped by police after acting awkwardly in an area known for male prostitutes.
16 May 2006Channel 4 rapped over lesbian sex ad + Channel 4 has been criticised after broadcasting an advert showing lesbian sex and nudity.The E4 trailer for sister channel More4, featured topless women in thongs kissing and touching each other.Although it was shown after midnight, the Ofcom media watchdog said it should have carried a warning.
16 May 2006CCTV captures homophobic attackers, police claim + Detectives believe they have uncovered new evidence relating to a homophobic attack which left a man with serious head injuries this year.Greater Manchester Police are appealing for help in identifying four men from CCTV pictures believed to be responsible for a hate crime in which two men were seriously assaulted in Manchester City Centre in the early hours of March 18 2006.
16 May 2006Simon Hughes supports gay refugee plight + PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveLiberal Democrat Party President Simon Hughes will address a rally raising awareness of gay asylum seekers tomorrow to mark the International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO).Mr Hughes, MP for North Southwark and Bermondsey will make an appearance at the event which aims to highlight the plight of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) refugees.
16 May 2006‘Bogus’ lesbian refugee avoids deportation + An asylum seeker who pretended to be a lesbian to ensure she could remain in the UK, has won the right to stay because the Home Office delayed over her appeal, a judge ruled today.Carol Ajoh claimed she was a lesbian to avoid being sent back to Jamaica in 2000, claiming she would be persecuted over her sexuality if she returned to her home country.
16 May 2006“Fake” transsexuals prompt ID eunuch cards 2 Indian eunuchs who usually beg at celebrations, are issuing their own identity cards in reaction to "fake" transsexuals muscling in on their patch.Eunuchs, the name for castrated males, often attend parties prompting patrons to give them money in order to spare embarrassment.
17 May 2006Homophobic stigma – A community cause 2 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveIn accordance with international demonstrations marking the International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO), PinkNews.co.uk's Marc Shoffman examines how much stigma and prejudice has been eliminated.Today marks 16 years since the World Health Organisation (WHO) removed homosexuality from the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) as a mental disorder, on May 17 1990, the World Health Organisation endorsed an intention to remove homosexuality from a list of mental disorders.
17 May 2006Gay groups aim to silence homophobia 2 Supporters of the International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO) are asking LGBT groups and their supporters to observe a minute's silence to mark the second International Day Against Homophobia today.Activists are hoping the UK will join a silences taking place in France, Peru, Uganda, Ivory Coast, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong and Brazil.
17 May 2006Gay MTV channel joins Gay Games 3 Gay Games Chicago has announced that Logo, MTV Network's one-year-old cable television channel for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) audience, has become a Premium Global Sponsor of the 2006 Chicago Gay Games.Logo's sponsorship will include advertising, production, special event and online promotions, and support of the Gay Games by Logo talent.
17 May 2006Star Trek actor backs gay rights battle + Sci-fi legend, George Takei, also known as Star Trek's Mr Sulu, has revealed the importance of fighting for gay rights.The actor, who steered the USS enterprise for 40 years, came out last year after becoming despondent with slow gay legislation in his home State of California.
17 May 2006Fraternity allows transgender members 2 Sigma Phi Beta Fraternity's national board of directors enacted a policy at a meeting this week to allow transgender students to join.The policy goes above and beyond any other known policy of a national social college fraternity by allowing individuals who self-identify as male to seek membership, regardless of their sex at birth and whether or not they have obtained legal recognition of their gender identity.
17 May 2006Georgia Judge rejects gay marriage ban + Declaring a measure overwhelmingly approved by voters in 2004 violated a provision of the state constitution that limits ballot questions to a single subject, a Georgia judge struck down the state's gay marriage ban this week.Fulton County Superior Court Judge Constance Russell handed down the ruling that gay rights supporters who filed the court challenge in November 2004 had been eagerly awaiting, shortly after the constitutional ban was approved.
17 May 2006Poor education making gay men ‘more vulnerable’ to HIV + Young gay men are made more vulnerable to HIV due to the failure of schools to address homophobia and provide relevant sexual health information, according to the National AIDs Trust (NAT).To mark the second International Day against Homophobia, today, the NAT is highlighting the failure of many schools to either tackle homophobia or provide sex and relationships education (SRE) that addresses sexual orientation and HIV risk.
17 May 2006Ex officer accused of ‘underage gay relationships’ + A police officers' flat was searched after he was suspected of having underage gay relationships, a tribunal heard yesterday.Ben Stokes, 23, a former member of the Nottingham Police claims he was discriminated against by his force after his sexuality was revealed when he started a relationship with a male teenager.
17 May 2006Education group reveals gay teacher plight + Four out of five gay teachers and lecturers experience homophobia at work, according to a report by the Teacher Support Network.The study comes in response to the International Day Against Homophobia, which takes place today, recognising the homophobia that remains in society.
17 May 2006Ford upholds gay employee rights 2 Ford Motor Company has fought back pressure form Christian groups and shareholders pushing for the car maker to abandon its sexual orientation anti discrimination policies.A vote at the manufacturer's annual meeting decided that sexuality should remain on its equal employment policies.
17 May 2006Bisexual MP supports gay asylum seekers 2 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveLiberal Democrat Party President, Simon Hughes, attended a demonstration outside the Home Office today to mark the second International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO), and raise awareness of the plight of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender asylum seekers.The bisexual politician briefly addressed the crowd of gay activists, looking to highlight the problems facing asylum seekers who have fled homophobic persecution in countries like Pakistan, Uganda, Sudan, Jamaica, Iran, Belarus, Algeria, Iraq, Nigeria and Egypt.
17 May 2006Anti gay Polish minister blames “homos” for protests 2 While gay activists in Poland commemorate the International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO), the country's minister of education, is seeking a police investigation against gay groups.Wojciech Wierzejski, a member of the Polish ruling coalition partner, Giertych's League of Polish Families, who govern along with the anti gay Law and Justice Party, has been the subject of student demonstrations and petitions against him.
17 May 2006Girls school facing lesbian abuse investigation + One of Ireland's most prestigious girls school is under investigation for lesbian sex abuse, according to reports.The Health Service Executive (HSE) West is looking into allegations of inappropriate sexual activity at Kylemore Abbey school in County Galway, in the West of Ireland.
Articles from May 2006
- London beaten gay couple urge politicians to beware of legitimising anti-gay attitudes+
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins13
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: ‘I struggled with the issue of sexuality since I was a teenager’20
- Boris Johnson calls on Tories to unite and for the government to ‘get on with legalising equal marriage’7
- George Michael’s lucky escape after falling out of a car travelling at 70mph5
- Openly gay NBA player Jason Collins honoured with courage award+
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has ‘f**** things up’ with his equal marriage bill51
- New York: Thousands of protesters condemn murder of ‘gay angel Mark Carson’4
- Boris Johnson, Martina Navratilova and Clare Balding to take part in Pride London festival2
- MPs to debate humanist marriage ceremonies9
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault127
- Video: President Obama tells all-male college 'Be the best husband to your boyfriend'7
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage' 89
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill51
- Manager: Fined and suspended mixed martial arts fighter 'doesn't feel remorse' for homophobic tweet17
- Coalition deal with Labour on straight civil partnerships keeps same-sex marriage bill on track16
- George Michael's lucky escape after falling out of a car travelling at 70mph5
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault127
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'89
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Bret Easton Ellis slams GLAAD and says gay basketball player Jason Collins treated like a 'baby panda'69
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- US Radio host: Gay news websites are covered with porn that is turning teens gay62
- Lib Dem MP Sarah Teather tells Catholic newspaper 'I never went into politics to tackle equal marriage'59
- Tory MP David Burrowes: 'I'm not anti-gay; I'm just pro-marriage'57
- Tory MP David Burrowes: I only want a referendum on same-sex marriage so I can defeat the government's bill54
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage