17 April 2006Careless Parker: George Michael admits three car smash 4 George Michael has admitted crashing into three parked cars last weekend in North London, and will now be quizzed by police.The gay star's representative phoned police to report the incident after the crash was revealed by witnesses yesterday.Michael has already made contact with the car owners to arrange financial compensation, according to the Daily Mirror.
18 April 2006Gay club night proceeds as three face trial after police drugs bust 1 Three men are due to appear at a Tower Bridge court after a police drugs raid on a nightclub last weekend.Over two hundred police officers from the Metropolitan Police's CO14 specialist clubs and vice squad raided the Fridge nightclub in the Brixton, south London on Saturday.
18 April 2006Anti-gay minister loses web appeal 5 Notoriously anti-gay televangelist Jerry Falwell lost a Supreme Court appeal yesterday of a case that sought to shut down a web site with a similar name but opposing views on gay rights.In the appeal, Mr Falwell claimed a gay man from New York City improperly draws attention to his site by using a common misspelling of his name as the site's domain name.
18 April 2006Mother and trans child in court battle + A transsexual will face assault charges in court today after allegations she broke her 85-year-old mother's arm.Diane Wells, 52, is accused of misdemeanour assault on her mother last May and is also subject to a civil lawsuit from her siblings who claim she bullied her parent.
18 April 2006Gay activists oppose “vague” anti bullying bill + Gay groups are protesting a "vague" anti bullying bill which they believe could leave homosexuals open to abuse in Florida schools.Equality Florida were joined by the American Civil Liberties Union, the National Organisation of Women, and the Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network, yesterday in opposition to Republican Ellyn Bogdanoff's new legislation.
18 April 2006Elton John finds home for Shakespeare inspired film + Elton John's movie pitch for Gnomeo and Juliet has been given the go ahead by Miramax Films, despite being rejected by parent company, Walt Disney, last month.The play on the William Shakespeare classic, Romeo and Juliet, tells the classic love story in the setting of a gnome garden.
18 April 2006Pete Burns arrested after gay bar fight 1 Eighties singer Pete Burns was arrested over the weekend after a fight with his ex fianc√© outside a gay nightclub.Burns was accused of attacking Michael Simpson and clawing his face at the Ghetto bar when he turned up with a new lover.Witnesses told the Sun, "There was fur flying everywhere.
18 April 2006Anti gay funeral protests limited 2 Nine US states have introduced laws to impose restrictions on protests at funerals of gay soldiers.Over the last year, church groups such as the Westboro Baptist Church, in Kansas, have picketed funerals of gay soldiers waving signs with slogans such as "Thank God for Dead Soldiers."
18 April 2006EastEnders’ Martin to kill lesbian wife + Sonia Fowler, lesbian nurse and estranged wife of Martin may be killed off in the hit soap EastEnders.The rumours of the dramatic storyline comes after Natalie Cassidy who plays Sonia and James Alexandrou who plays Martin both announced their decision to leave the long running drama.The Daily Star claims that Martin will either face life in jail or commit suicide after he kills his estranged wife.
18 April 2006Island apologises for homophobic attack 5 Tourism officials from St Maarten have promised to find and punish the perpetrators of a homophobic attack on two American journalists last month.Dick Jefferson and his friend Ryan Smith, 25, were beaten unconscious by a homophobic gang outside a bar on the Caribbean Island.
18 April 2006Elton John’s thousand dollar clothes sale + An auction of Elton John's unwanted garments raised over $700,000 (£397, 073) for his AIDs charity last week.The spring clearout, which included items worn by the singer and his partner David Furnish, included designs from Versace, Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Prada as well as Sir Elton's polka-dot suit worn during his controversial performance with Eminem at the 2001 Grammys.
18 April 2006How to be an “A” list gay- according to the Sunday Times 1 The Sunday Times, the long-time bastion for middle class home counties readers, has produced its own guide to being a gay celebrity in 2006.It claims that the gay glitterati can be split into three camps, the "Business A lists", the "Party A lists" and the "Hip A lists".Surprisingly, they didn't include reading PinkNews.co.uk as being a characteristic of the "Business A lists." Over 30% of readers access us from their work computers at blue chip companies
18 April 2006Judge rules against anti gay Christian group + A US judge has backed a college's policy blocking funding and recognition to a Christian student group which bans gays, lesbians and non Christians.District Judge Jeffrey White ruled in favour of UC Hastings College of Law yesterday in a dispute with the Christian Legal Society at the school.
18 April 2006Conservative chairman welcomes gay poll 4 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveConservative Party chairman Francis Maude has welcomed a poll by PinkNews.co.uk which reveals a growth in support for theConservatives amongst the gay community.A poll of 600 readers, selected to be demographically representative of LGBT people in England, showed a 10.2% increase in support for the Conservatives since 2005.
18 April 2006Brighton Gay councillor to step down + One of Brighton's few openly gay councillors has announced he will stand down at the next elections in 2007.Simon Williams, a Green Party member, represented Brighton's central St Peters and North Laine area since 2003, but has become fed up with "so many meetings."
18 April 2006Protests against “gay friendly” textbook + Students and teachers in Apple Valley, California launched a protest yesterday against a law to put a "gay friendly" spin in school books.The picketers are calling the legislation, currently awaiting Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's approval, an assault on their ethics and morality.
18 April 2006Gay clique runs Southwark- Muslim councillor claims + A councillor who was deselected as a Liberal Democrat councillor in Southwark, south London has claimed that a gay clique is running the borough.
18 April 2006Labour warns against supporting “pink chameleon” 4 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveDavid Cameron would "move stealthily" against the gay community if the Tories return to power, according to the Labour Campaign for Lesbian and Gay Rights (LCLGR).Speaking in reaction to a PinkNews.co.uk poll which revealed an increase in gay support for the Conservative Party, the LCLGR cast doubts on leader Mr Cameron's credentials.
18 April 2006“Gay clique” councillor deselected for poor attendance local party says + PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveA councillor who claimed that Southwark, south London was controlled by a gay clique was deselected as a Liberal Democrat councillor due to poor attendance, the local party's vice chairman claims.Dr Abdur-Rahman Olayiwola, councillor for the Chaucer ward in the borough resigned his membership of the Liberal Democrats after he was not chosen to be a candidate at the local election to be held on the 4th of May.
19 April 2006Gay charity fights workplace discrimination in Wales 1 Stonewall Cymru has launched a project to raise awareness of the 2003 Employment Equality Regulations covering sexual orientation amongst information and advice providers in Wales.The project will help lesbian, gay and bisexual people in Wales get the advice they need, improve the quality of advice available to them, and remove the barriers to securing justice.
Articles from April 2006
- US: Owner of florist sued for refusing same-sex wedding files lawsuit against state10
- Mixed martial arts fighter fined $20,000 and suspended for three months for anti-gay slur+
- France: President Francois Hollande signs equal marriage bill into law3
- Gay MP Mike Freer accuses fellow Tories of attempting to “derail” equal marriage bill6
- Church of England: Allowing straight civil partnerships would ‘introduce confusion’15
- Georgia: Prime Minister denounces violence against IDAHOT rally3
- Poll: 7 in 10 Russians are against the ‘justification and display of homosexuality’28
- Portugal: Parliament grants same-sex couples some adoption rights6
- Comment: Dear Philip Hammond, equal marriage might upset people, but it is worth it for equality18
- Italian Chamber of Deputies President: ‘Macho culture reduces gay people to caricatures’7
- Daniel Radcliffe: When filming Kill Your Darlings, I was given 'step-by-step' gay sex scene instructions16
- Scotland: Trans woman threatened with ban from shopping centre for using ladies' toilets25
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'68
- Turkey urged to broadcast Eurovision following TV station cancellation over lesbian kiss11
- Video: Equal marriage parody of Finland's 2013 Eurovision entry goes viral3
- France: Final marriage equality hurdle passed as Constitutional Council approves bill36
- Georgia: IDAHOT rally attacked by thousands of violent protesters20
- Poll: 7 in 10 Russians are against the 'justification and display of homosexuality'28
- Study: Audiences don't mind gay actors playing straight roles 11
- Birmingham: LGBT sports centre to be opened by naked charity calendar stars Warwick Rowers9
- Tory MP Nadine Dorries: 'The gay marriage bill is taking the sex out of marriage'89
- US: Minnesota Republican moved to tears over 'heartbreaking' same-sex marriage bill73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'68
- Bret Easton Ellis slams GLAAD and says gay basketball player Jason Collins treated like a 'baby panda'65
- US Radio host: Gay news websites are covered with porn that is turning teens gay62
- Lib Dem MP Sarah Teather tells Catholic newspaper 'I never went into politics to tackle equal marriage'59
- Tory MP David Burrowes: 'I'm not anti-gay; I'm just pro-marriage'57
- Christians called to pray at Parliament in opposition to equal marriage bill56
- New Zealand: B&B owner says 'not in my home' to lesbian couple56
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage