8 March 2006Gay banker masturbated in front of employee, tribunal told 4 A gay banker was allegedly sacked by HSBC for masturbating in front of a male employee in the work gym shower, an employment tribunal has been told.43-year-old Peter Lewis, claims he was sacked by the bank because he is gay.
8 March 2006Liberty group argues for gay marriage rights + The American Civil Liberties Union has asked New York's highest court to strike down a New York law that bars lesbian and gay couples and their families from the protections of marriage."My partner Heather was grilled by hospital staff over and over about who she was and why she was there when I was in the hospital for breast cancer surgery.
8 March 2006Human rights group blast plans to promote anti gay army policies in schools + Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese has released a statement expressing disappointment regarding the unanimous Supreme Court decision upholding a federal law that requires universities to allow military recruiters on campus, circumventing anti-discrimination measures.
8 March 2006Gay pride is music to Virgin’s ears 6 Virgin Mobile is the first blue chip company sign up as a gold sponsor for the massive EuroPride London festival taking place across the city during the last two weeks in June and featuring EuroPride day on Saturday, July 1.The mobile phone service provider will host, as their main attraction, the Virgin Mobile Cabaret Stage in London's Leicester Square following the largest ever LGBT Pride Parade through central London from Oxford Street.
8 March 2006New Zealand to lift gay sperm ban + A ban on gay sperm donors may soon be lifted in New Zealand according to health authorities in the country.The controversial issue has been widely covered in the media due to a shortage of sperm donors in New Zealand and Australia.
8 March 2006Netherlands may deport gay Iranians 1 The Dutch Immigration minister is facing criticism over plans to deport lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender asylum seekers back to Iran.A ban on deportations was imposed last September after reports of gay executions in Iran, but now the minister, Rita Verdonk, wishes to end the moratorium as she believes there is no clear evidence of execution for being a homosexual in the country.
8 March 2006Pub owner charged for reprimanding kissing lesbians + An Irish pub owner has been charged with discrimination after ordering a lesbian couple to stop kissing in his establishment.Judges ruled yesterday that the request breached the Equal Status Act because it was discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.The case was brought by the Equality Authority on behalf of Eileen Twomey and Myra McGuirk, against publican Michael Malone of Malone's Pub in Cork.
8 March 2006Elton John’s gay marriage goblets go on sale + Edinburgh Castle is offering goblets similar to those used at Elton John's civil partnership ceremony.As part of a make over at the castle's shop, remakes of the cups used when the singer wed his gay partner David Furnish, will form part of a banqueting collection of Scottish food and drink.
8 March 2006Gay media monitor launched + A new scheme has been launched by gay charity, Stonewall, to monitor the portral of gay people in the media, after the BBC was slammed for its coverage of homosexual issues.The project will allow TV viewers, radio listeners and newspaper readers to log any instances of homophobia they witness in the media.
8 March 2006MP defends meeting with anti gay Muslim group 2 Former cabinet minister, Clare Short, has defended a meeting she held with a radical Muslim group last week, amid anger from fellow Labour MPs and gay rights activists.The former international development secretary invited Islamic group, Hizb ut-Tahrir, which the Prime Minister, Tony Blair, wishes to ban from Britain, to speak to MPs.
8 March 2006Ashley Cole uses internet to discover impact of “gay” rumours 23 The solicitors for footballer Ashley Cole in his libel case against the News of the World and the Sun are taking to the internet to decipher how articles relating to a "gay orgy" have affected the public perception of the Arsenal and England star.Answers to the questions will be used as evidence in a civil court case against the papers involved, and some of the respondents may be called as witnesses.
8 March 2006Lesbian Homecoming King causes college review 1 A lesbian who sparked controversy amongst students after winning a Homecoming King contest has prompted college officials to review their homecoming rules.Jen Jones, a senior at the school, beat three men to the crown at Hood College in Maryland, USA.
8 March 2006Gay bishop returns to work after alcohol treatment + The first openly gay bishop of the Anglican Church has returned to work after a month's rehabilitation from an alcohol problem.Gene Robinson, The Episcopal Church's New Hampshire bishop returned from treatment last week.
8 March 2006Gay icon handed unique restraining order 7 Gay icon, Paris Hilton, has been given an unusual restraining order to stay at least 100 yards away from an event producer, unless they are at the same party.Brian Quintana was granted the three-year order against the Simple Life star last month after he testified that she continuosly harassed and threatened him after their friendship ended.
8 March 2006HSBC “masturbator” secretly filmed disciplinary hearing, tribunal told 4 The gay, former HSBC investment banker who is claiming unfair dismissal told an employment tribunal that he secretly filmed his disciplinary appeal hearing because he did not trust his employer.Peter Lewis, claims he was sacked by the bank because he is gay.
9 March 2006First civil ceremony for gay MP 1 A Labour environment minister will become the first MP to have a civil partnership.Labour MP, Ben Bradshaw announced yesterday that he will be holding a civil ceremony with partner, Neal Dalgleish, who is a BBC Newsnight journalist.Family and friends will witness the representative for Exeter's gay marriage ceremony to his partner in June.
9 March 2006Rabbis delay over Jewish gay marriage rights + The Conservative Judaism movement in America has delayed its decision on lifting a ban on homosexual rabbis and gay marriage.The organisation was expected to debate a removal of the prohibition this week but the Rabbinical Assembly has instead decided to wait until December to vote on the controversial issue.
9 March 2006Archbishop dismisses gay debate + The Archbishop of Canterbury has warned Anglican leaders that he does not want to use the Church's upcoming conference as a debating ground for homosexuality.In a letter to communion leaders, Dr Rowan Williams said he felt there was not "much enthusiasm" for reopening the issue which was discussed at the 1998 conference, where it was affirmed that homosexual behaviour is incompatible with the Bible.
9 March 2006Gay Games given the row ahead + The vote banning the Gay Games rowing event from Crystal Lake in Chicago has been reversed.After a deadlock vote last month, it was thought that the proposal had failed and the event would have to be moved, but a rescheduled full committee poll this week gave approval for the event to go ahead.
9 March 2006UK Census ignores the number of gays in the village 5 The 2011 Census will contain a civil partnerships section but questions on sexual orientation have been omitted, the Office of National Statistics (ONS) has revealed.However, a nationwide government survey which includes questions on sexuality will be sent to UK households as part of a bid to calculate the amount lesbian, gay, and bisexual people living in Britain.
Articles from March 2006
- Poll: 7 in 10 Russians are against the ‘justification and display of homosexuality’13
- Portugal: Parliament grants same-sex couples some adoption rights2
- Comment: Dear Philip Hammond, equal marriage might upset people, but it is worth it for equality8
- Italian Chamber of Deputies President: ‘Macho culture reduces gay people to caricatures’1
- US: Mixed martial arts fighter suspended for tweeting the word ‘fag’3
- Sunderland Football Club flies rainbow flag in support of IDAHOT2
- Scotland: Trans woman threatened with ban from shopping centre for using ladies’ toilets6
- National AIDS Trust: ‘Passing equal marriage will help in the fight against the UK’s HIV epidemic’2
- France: Final marriage equality hurdle passed as Constitutional Council approves bill19
- Turkey urged to broadcast Eurovision following TV station cancellation over lesbian kiss+
- Video: Finland's pro-equal marriage Eurovision entrant stages lesbian kiss and gets into final11
- Daniel Radcliffe: When filming Kill Your Darlings, I was given 'step-by-step' gay sex scene instructions6
- Uma Thurman to star in biopic as anti-gay campaigner Anita Bryant 12
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'62
- Study: Audiences don't mind gay actors playing straight roles 11
- ILGA-Europe releases 2013 European LGBT rights map 48
- Channel 4 Big Breakfast creator Charlie Parsons acquires global dating site Gaydar3
- Georgia: IDAHOT rally attacked by thousands of violent protesters12
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples 64
- Texas: Anti-trans marriage law gains Senate approval 6
- Tory MP Nadine Dorries: 'The gay marriage bill is taking the sex out of marriage'89
- US: Minnesota Republican moved to tears over 'heartbreaking' same-sex marriage bill73
- Bret Easton Ellis slams GLAAD and says gay basketball player Jason Collins treated like a 'baby panda'65
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples64
- US Radio host: Gay news websites are covered with porn that is turning teens gay62
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'62
- Lib Dem MP Sarah Teather tells Catholic newspaper 'I never went into politics to tackle equal marriage'59
- Tory MP David Burrowes: 'I'm not anti-gay; I'm just pro-marriage'57
- Christians called to pray at Parliament in opposition to equal marriage bill56
- New Zealand: B&B owner says 'not in my home' to lesbian couple56
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage