16 November 2005Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire + If the title doesn't ring any bells, if you don't know which number in the series this is, there's little hope that this film will hold any interest - although if you've managed to avoid the Harry Potter phenomenon this long, either you have no interest in anything that's going on around you or you've been locked up in some far off distant land for the past few years.This particular tale is set in Harry's fourth year at Hogwart's wizard school.
16 November 2005Everything Is Illuminated + Adapted from the critically acclaimed faux-autobiographical novel of the same name by Jonathan Safran Foer, this could well be the film that allows Elijah Wood to shake off the Frodo associations which, following the insane success of The Lord of the Rings movies, threatened to haunt him for the rest of his career.Following outings in both Sin City and Green Street, in which he was evidently determined to play against type, Wood here shows that he can indeed do more than merely gaze in wide-eyed terror at computer-generated beasties with a performance that is at once sensitive and quirky.
17 November 2005Church of England’s position on gay rights is evil, says right wing Bishops 2 The split in the Anglican Church over the issue of homosexuality has continued today, with ultra-conservative church leaders condemning the policies of the Church of England as evil.The "Global South", a group of ultra-right wing, anti-gay bishops led by the Nigerian archbishop, Dr Peter Akinola in letter to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, urge him to reconsider his personal views on homosexuality: "we urge you to rethink your personal view and embrace the Church's consensus and to act on it, based as it is on the clear witness of Scripture."
17 November 2005Charles Clarke hints at Crystal Meth re-classification + The Home Secretary, Charles Clarke has made the strongest hints yet that Crystal Meth (methylamphetamine) could be reclassified as a class-A drug.His comments follow a report from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), which examined toxicity, risk, manufacture and prevalence of the drug and considered whether the current classification is appropriate.The ACMD did not recommend the immediate re-classification of the drug but voiced concern over the growing use of the drug.
17 November 2005Mayor Claims Gay Photos ‘Placed’ On Computer + As a Washington judge prepares to decide whether the contents of Spokane Mayor James West's city-owned computer are part of the public record, the mayor is arguing that numerous gay-oriented photos on the laptop were placed there automatically.This is the latest development in the ongoing saga of West, who was outed earlier this year after chatting with an undercover reporter in a gay chat room.
19 November 2005Northern Ireland politician claims gays are “abominable and filthy” 6 A councillor for the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), led by Dr Ian Paisley ha branded gays as "abominable and filthy" and to blame for Hurricane Katrina and the spread of AIDs in Africa.Maurice Mills councillor in Ballymena, Northern Ireland claimed that Hurricane Katrina was a judgement from God: "the media failed to report that the hurricane occurred just two days prior to the annual homosexual event called the Southern Decadence Festival, which the previous year had attracted an estimated 125,000 people.
21 November 2005Vancouver Gay Bookstore Takes Case to Supreme Court + One of Vancouver's largest gay bookstores has been given the go-ahead to argue in front of Canada's Supreme Court that the government should fund its legal dispute with Canada Customs.Yesterday, the top court granted Little Sisters Book and Art Emporium the right to appeal a lower-court decision that cut its funding lifeline for the legal fight.Jim Deva, one of the bookstore's co-owners, said fighting Canada Customs in court could cost the store $500,000 to $1-million, which he characterized as an impossibly high figure for a bookstore, or almost anyone else, to come up with.
21 November 2005Police Investigating Disappearance of Gay Man + (London, UK) - Detectives from London's Specialist Crime Directorate are investigating the disappearance of 61-year-old Alexandre Madeira Marques, known as Alex.Alexandre, originally from Portugal, was last seen at 11:00am on Sunday, October 16 when a neighbor saw him at his home in Notting Hill.
21 November 2005Serial killer Rose West in lesbian relationship + The Sunday Mirror claims that serial killer Rose West has embarked on a lesbian affair with a fellow prisoner.West, 51 met Chantelle Easton, 39, who is serving a sentence for robbery at Bronzefield prison in Ashford.They are both being held in the prison's segregation unit.
22 November 2005Lisburn set for u-turn over gay weddings ban + Lisburn City Council is due to make a u-turn over the banning of gay wedding ceremonies on council properties.The council, in Northern Ireland has previously announced that it would not allow civil partnership ceremonies to take place in their wedding suite.Local authorities are forced to offer civil partnership registrations under the Civil Partnership Act that comes into effect in December of this year.
22 November 2005Man sues over USA gay ‘Wife Swap’ + An Oklahoma man is suing the American version of Wife Swap over the show's producers sending a gay man to live with him and his family as his half of the swap.Jeffrey Bedford, who lives with his wife and kids outside Muskogee, is seeking $10 million in damages from Walt Disney - the parent company of ABC - the network, and the show's production company RDF Media.
22 November 2005Gay rights officer claims he was sacked because of a sex change + Brighton and Hove council's gay rights officer was hounded out of a job because he had a sex change, a tribunal heard this week.Andy Baldwin, 34, says he was forced out of his job for the local authority after he changed his name from Andrea.
22 November 2005The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe + When Harry Potter first burst onto the scene and all those columnists in the newspapers began churning out ream after ream of gushing praise for the wonderful originality and depth of J K Rowling's contributions to fantasy fiction and children's literature, the few dissenting voices most often brought up C S Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia as a prime example of a classic children's book series that had done it all before.
23 November 2005Rabbi compares Christian right in USA to Nazis over their stance on gay rights + The attitude of American 'religious right' leaders toward gays and lesbians is akin to the anti-gay policies promoted by Adolf Hitler, according to the president of the Union for Reform Judaism, Rabbi Eric Yoffie.Yoffie made the controversial comments Saturday during the movement's national biennial conference in Houston."We cannot forget that when Hitler came to power in 1933, one of the first things that he did was ban gay organizations," Yoffie said.
23 November 2005Conservative Equality Spokeswoman slammed over gay rights 1 Britain's only openly lesbian MP has condemned the Conservative Party for trying to allow small hotels and bbs (bed and breakfasts) to ban gay couples.The Equality Bill, which is currently having its second reading in the House of Commons, will ban the discrimination of people in the provision of goods and services due to their religion or their sexuality.
24 November 200520,000 British people may have HIV without knowing it + A third of people who have HIV in the UK remain undiagnosed, a report by the Health Protection Agency has found.Despite over seven thousand new cases being diagnosed in the UK over 2005, almost twenty thousand people with the disease do not know that they are infected.Deborah Jack, the Chief Executive of the National AIDS trust says the results should be a wake up call to gay men to get tested.
24 November 2005Conservative Equality Spokeswoman explains her party’s gay rights policies 1 Earlier this week, we reported that a Labour MP (Angela Eagle) described the Eleanor Laing, Conservative spokeswoman on Equality's attitude to the Equality Bill as 'sad'.Today, Ms Laing took advantage of our policy of allowing a right of reply to all articles by asking us to reprint this letter which she hopes will make her own views on the matter clear.
24 November 2005Gays can become Catholic priests if they can prove they’re celibate 12 Gay men will be allowed to be Roman Catholic priests as long as they can prove that they have been celibate for a minimum of three years.The Vatican which was commissioned by the Pope, Benedict XIV, says that the church will ban gays who "publicly manifest their homosexuality or show an overwhelming attraction" to homosexual culture even if it is only intellectually".
25 November 2005Social worker suspended over gay porn accusations + The head of a Scottish council's social work team faces the sack after gay porn was allegedly found on his work laptop computer.Jim Hadderty was immediately suspended after technicians said that they found pornographic material on his machine whilst carrying out repairs.Mr Hadderty was relieved of his duties as manager of a divisional social work department at Renfrewshire Council.
25 November 2005Liberal Judaism launches gay marriage ceremonies in Britain + Liberal Judaism is to be come the first mainstream religious group to perform gay marriage services.The movement, which includes four lesbian Rabbis, and two gay Rabbis will introduce its 'Covenant of Love' to coincide with the Civil Partnership Act which comes into force on December 5th.However, the ceremony does not replace the need for a couple to perform a civil partnership, as there are no legal entitlements flowing from the blessing.
Articles from November 2005
- Humanist weddings amendment withdrawn from equal marriage bill1
- Russia: LGBT rights group fined 500,000 rubles under ‘foreign agent’ law1
- Amendments urging for civil registrars to opt out of equal marriage ceremonies withdrawn from bill4
- Gay fashioner designer Stefano Gabbana sentenced for tax evasion12
- US: Third Republican Senator comes out in favour of equal marriage2
- South Africa: Gay imam spreads message of empowerment when it comes to homosexuality and Islam7
- South Australia officially congratulates New Zealand on equal marriage, ahead of introduction of its own bill1
- Watch LIVE: House of Lords debates same-sex marriage amendments+
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans: ‘I continue to refute all allegations’+
- Maltese Prime Minister: A civil unions bill is to be introduced by the end of this year2
- Liberace's ex-lover claims he had six year relationship with Michael Jackson18
- Live blog: Highlights from the House of Lords committee on same-sex marriage22
- Brazil: Lawmakers approve bill which would remove ban on 'gay cure' therapy 25
- Tory MP John Glen criticises Bishop of Salisbury for voicing support for equal marriage28
- Michelle Shocked to return to San Francisco during Pride Week, to clarify her feelings following anti-gay rant17
- Gay dating website for 'homosensible' Catholic priests being run out of the Vatican19
- Poland: Prime Minister backs down and admits opposition to civil unions is too strong26
- Gay 'cure' therapy NHS ban motion gains cross-party support4
- US: Attorney representing lesbian teenager charged for relationship with younger girl asks judge to step down12
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans re-arrested on new indecent assault allegations—
- New 'Gay Marriage No Thanks' group launches with 'ten good reasons' to oppose equal marriage86
- Lord Tebbit: I wouldn't have been surprised if Jimmy Savile was homosexual84
- Archbishop of York: Would the Church of England rather bless 'sheep and trees' than gay couples?84
- Barry Cryer brands ITV's Vicious 'homophobic' television84
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'69
- Lib Dems' Baroness Williams to support anti-equal marriage 'union' amendment69
- Maria Miller tables Public Order Act amendment protecting critics of equal marriage67
- Labour MSP Elaine Smith: 'I'm against equal marriage but don't call me homophobic'64
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill62
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill62
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage